Symptoms MS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms MS ?

My name is Liam, and I am a first time poster on this site. So a summary of what has been my issue since July of 2019.

I woke up one morning in the Middle of July and noticed that my left arm, from under my bicep to my ring and middle finger had a buzzing, vibrating sensation in it. Thinking I slept on it wrong, I left it go for a good time. The sensation was as described but also there was a feeling that a blood pressure cuff was attached to my whole left arm and it was constantly being inflated and deflated. The arm feels weak and fatigues quickly when doing any activity involving those muscles.

Around October if this year that same feeling spread to my upper left side rib cage. It felt like a spasm along with tingling. About 3 weeks ago, the feeling spread to my left quadricep down to the bottom of my feet. I made an appt with my neurologist and I was told it was possible a pinched nerve in my neck. A brain, and spine MRI and well as a EMG was conducted. The EMG was normal, but the brain MRI showed punctuate subcortical white matter hyper intensity in the medial right frontal lobe as well as the anterior inferior right frontal lobe. I was told this is of my consequence all though it is very concerning to me.

My spine has some bone spurs and well as some minimum bulging in my C5-C6. My face on the left side has gone numb for days at a time and then returns to normal for a least a year now. The numbness is located in my lower check/jaw area. I had fatigue off and on for two years, to the point large amounts of caffeine were needed to make it through the day. I’m awaiting blood test results to maybe find an answer, but as of now no one can seem to find a reason or cause for my left side issues.

I am hoping there are some ppl on this site that can shed some light on my issues, as I feel like I’m distressed about my symptoms and a lack there of a cause. I am due to get a spinal tap, and lack of any evidence there would put me in a “wait and see” category.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Welcome Liam4742.

Unfortunately, noone here can tell if MS or another disease. I wasn't sure, but did you mean the your Neuro felt that what showed on the MRI was not of any concern and not related to any symptoms?

Have you seen an orthopedist for the bulging discs? I would think they could cause some symptoms.

I can relate to the blood pressure cuff feeling. My right arm feels like I am wearing an inflated cuff most of the time. Thankfully, not fully inflated. But my MRIs showed brain and spinal lesions from C2-C6.

It is normal to get anxious and stressed over symptoms. Try to acknowledge you are worried, but then let it go. If you remain anxious and stressed, the body can react physically and complicate symptoms and diagnosis.

I hope you get answers soon.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Liam and Welcome ~

Sorry to learn that you are dealing with symptoms. It can be difficult, worrisome, and scary, especially when there is no explanation for them, as of yet.

Originally posted by Liam4742 View Post
      The EMG was normal, but the brain MRI showed punctuate subcortical white matter hyper intensity in the medial right frontal lobe as well as the anterior inferior right frontal lobe. I was told this is of my consequence all though it is very concerning to me.
      I'm wondering if you were told that the particular lesions that you have are of no consequence, because they aren't in a location that would correlate with your symptoms?

I don't know (I'm not an MRI expert) but you can ask your neuro why he believes the lesions are of no consequence. I would want to know why.

In any case, your testing is not finished yet, so hang in there. Take good care of yourself in the meantime, especially with anxiety reducing activities, if possible.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome to MS World.

I have no answers. The symptoms and sensations you mention might, or might not, be MS. There are a lot of illnesses that mimic MS.

I often tell people that, because MS is a neurological illness, almost any symptom could be MS. That being said, we also can't assume that every symptom is MS.

I hope you find some answers. Please keep us posted
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam4742 View Post
          [COLOR=#37474F][FONT=&quot] the brain MRI showed punctuate subcortical white matter hyper intensity
          Reads a lot like my MRI report.

Right side lesions impact the left side of the body. In my experience anyway.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Neuros are so cautious about jumping to a conclusion with a diagnosis that sometimes, it seems, they hold back too much. Your symptoms can be lots of conditions but I have to confess that your description of the MRI report reminds me eerily of the wording that the radiologist wrote on mine before that fateful day when I felt like I was being sucked to the center of the earth in a swirling vortex.

My doctor was hesitant to diagnosis it, too. She said, “I recommend that the best thing to do is to treat.” I.e. still no dx. She said the reason she recommended to treat was because I had been diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder a year before due to uriinary retention. It wasnt until two months later when I was admitted to the hospital for optic neuritis that the diagnosis was was forthcoming.

I know it must be maddening not receiving a dx when you could be starting an effective treatment. But patience can be useful. Once you get a dx(if you do) there is still no certainty about anything. Since an MS diagnosis was the last thing I wanted, I look back on that two months of uncertainty with nostalgia.

If it’s possible, I recommend pretending to yourself that you don’t have MS and enjoy this part of your life as much as you can!

Comment

Working...
            X