Hand Numbness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Numbness

I have developed really bad numbness in both of my hands over the last week. On top of the numbness, I have the constant feeling of pins and needles,cramping and burning. Is it uncommon in MS to have symptoms bilaterally at the same time?

I did have right hand numbness last year at the same time as my acute optic neuritis flare. A week later, I developed it in my left hand. The right hand improved over time but the left has remained numb, although to a lesser degree. Now it is very pronounced in both hands and it is affecting my ability to do tasks of daily living. I started writing Christmas cards and had to stop on the 4th card. It was hard to hold the pen and my writing became unintelligible. Driving is so difficult and doing buttons and zippers is a big challenge. I am still working and I use my hands constantly taking care of tiny babies.

I messaged my neurologist and his nurse told me to come in for a urinalysis and culture but I have no UTI symptoms. Miraculously, I am not sick at all which is unusual for me. Coincidentally, I am already scheduled for brain, C-spine and T-spine MRI's next Thursday and Rituximab the following day. I'm very worried and realize that worrying isn't going to help anything. I know steroids aren't usually used for sensory symptoms and I hate getting them but I feel like I need them. Any thoughts and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi polopuppy,

Sorry to hear it is a rough time. My right hand/arm is like that. I can share your frustration. I actually can't feel things in my hand and am known to drop or inadvertently throw things. I can still sense hot and cold, but really delayed reaction. I always give my right arm for blood work and needles - about the only positive to the numbness.

My understanding was bilateral was not the norm, but can happen with MS. I am glad you contacted the neurologist. If it is a flare, since affecting your ability at work and home, your neurologist may agree to steroids to try to speed up recovery.

Lots of luck. Please keep us updated.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my thread and for your insight. I had heard that bilateral symptoms were not so common in MS but I wasn't sure. The online information is not too clear. My hands are so bad today that I am seriously thinking of heading to the ER and I hate going to the ER. I try to avoid it like the plague. I've been trying to be busy and ignore my hands but it isn't working.

Of course this is happening on a weekend so I can't contact my neuro. They have no on call neurologist despite this being a MS clinic within a huge teaching hospital. I will have to wait until Monday to touch base with him. I have other autoimmune diseases, including a form of vasculitis so that makes things a little more complicated.

I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Comment

New to this forum and happy to help and be helped. I have permanent numbness and pain in my right hand and fingers from Transverse Myelitis (TM), which I was diagnosed with in 2004. Diagnosed with MS in 2016. TM is a lesion on the spine. All the best to every one of us.

Comment

Polopuppy -- I don't have much insight for you, as numbness isn't one of my symptoms.

My general perception is that, because MS is a neurological illness, almost any symptom could be MS. That being said, we also can't assume that every symptom is MS.

I hope you find some answers. Please keep us posted.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi polopuppy.

I believe you had your MRIs today? So, hopefully you might have some information from your Neurologist pretty soon.

Usually, when symptoms are bilateral it's due to spinal cord lesions.

I have had numbness and pain in both hands, temporarily, for most of one day. I found wearing gloves helped the pain I was experiencing.

The majority of my symptoms at the time of diagnosis were bilateral (waist down). My Neurologist said my presentation was due to spinal cord involvement due to MS - he was correct.

Take care.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              Hi polopuppy.

Usually, when symptoms are bilateral it's due to spinal cord lesions.
              The majority of my symptoms at the time of diagnosis were bilateral (waist down). My Neurologist said my presentation was due to spinal cord involvement due to MS - he was correct.

Take care.
              This is interesting to me Snoopy. I don't think I ever heard this before. Amazes me how much we continue to learn from each other.

I have "only" 4 brain lesions, but "numerous" spinal lesions C2-C6. I think when initially diagnosed, I was told at least 12 on the spine.

Aside from left eye optic neuritis, vertigo/fatigue/cognitive issues, my chronic physical symptoms are all right sided.

Does it matter if cervical versus lumbar/thoracic? Or is this another variable - if you have bilateral, usually a spinal presentation, but if you have spinal lesions, it doesn't have to be bilateral?

Thanks!
              Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                Does it matter if cervical versus lumbar/thoracic? Or is this another variable - if you have bilateral, usually a spinal presentation, but if you have spinal lesions, it doesn't have to be bilateral?
                I'm definitely not an expert on spinal cord lesions What I do know is from my own experience and discussions with my Neurologists. I "think" for symptoms to be bilateral lesions need to affect both sides of the spinal cord (someone please correct me if I am wrong). So no, I don't think spinal cord lesions always present bilaterally.

Bilateral was just my experience with spinal cord lesions. Symptoms for me included bilateral leg weakness/mobility problems, bilateral leg tingling/pins and needles/vibrations. Leg pain is bilateral and numbness waist down.

That was my original presentation (exacerbation) as I went through the diagnostic process.

The lumbar area isn't known for lesions and usually when a MRI is done of the Lumbar area the Dr. is usually looking for problems other than MS, such as - spinal stenosis, bulging/herniated discs, etc.

Cervical spinal cord lesions can cause symptoms from that point down. If you only had Thoracic lesions it would affect you from that point down. Like you, at one point I had numerous c-spine lesions. My spinal cord has been much more affected than my brain, even after all these years.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                  I "think" for symptoms to be bilateral lesions need to affect both sides of the spinal cord (someone please correct me if I am wrong).
                  Makes sense to me.

The spinal cord isn't very wide. It's diameter ranges from 13 mm (1⁄2 in) in the cervical and lumbar regions to 6.4 mm (1⁄4 in) in the thoracic area.

It would seem that even one large lesion, in just the 'right' spot, could affect both sides.

But then, I'm no expert either.

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
                    I have developed really bad numbness in both of my hands over the last week. On top of the numbness, I have the constant feeling of pins and needles,cramping and burning. Is it uncommon in MS to have symptoms bilaterally at the same time?

I did have right hand numbness last year at the same time as my acute optic neuritis flare. A week later, I developed it in my left hand. The right hand improved over time but the left has remained numb, although to a lesser degree. Now it is very pronounced in both hands and it is affecting my ability to do tasks of daily living. I started writing Christmas cards and had to stop on the 4th card. It was hard to hold the pen and my writing became unintelligible. Driving is so difficult and doing buttons and zippers is a big challenge. I am still working and I use my hands constantly taking care of tiny babies.

I messaged my neurologist and his nurse told me to come in for a urinalysis and culture but I have no UTI symptoms. Miraculously, I am not sick at all which is unusual for me. Coincidentally, I am already scheduled for brain, C-spine and T-spine MRI's next Thursday and Rituximab the following day. I'm very worried and realize that worrying isn't going to help anything. I know steroids aren't usually used for sensory symptoms and I hate getting them but I feel like I need them. Any thoughts and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
                    Hi polopuppy

Wondering how you are doing, and if you have found out anything.

Let us know when you can.

Take Care
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for checking in and for sharing your knowledge.

I had my MRI'S last night. I was in the scanner for almost 3 hours. I thought I was going to die the last 30 minutes. Everything was cramping up and I was in terrible pain. The radiologist kept adding extra scans.

Rituxumab was given today and it took 10 hours to infuse. I had a moderate reaction at 2 pm and was given extra steroids and IV Benadryl. I'm finally on my way home.

I haven't heard back from my neurologist about the MRI'S. Usually he releases the results quickly when they are stable but not so much they aren't. I guess I shouldn't speculate but I hope he doesn't keep me hanging too long.

I'm supposed to work tomorrow and Sunday but not sure how I will feel in the morning. I'll let you all know what the results are when they come in. I already have chronic spinal cord lesions at T 3-4 and T 10-11. The T 3-4 lesions are left sided. The T 10-11 do not specify as the report says multiple scattered lesions.

Thanks again, Polopuppy

Comment

Thanks for the update, polopuppy.

Hope you're feeling better after the busy past few days.

Take Care

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I don't know all the details but my neurologist messaged me to say that I have a new thoracic cord lesion. I haven't seen the official MRI report. He now suggests proceeding with the 3 days of IV steroids that I had asked about last week. I was very suspicious that there was something new going on and unfortunately, I was right.

Now I am worried about what that means with my current Rituxumab therapy. This is now my second documented relapse since starting Rituximab in October 2018. I know it isn't a cure for MS but all the studies I read indicated extremely low rates of new lesions developing while on Rituxmab. Does that mean it isn't the right med for me? Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was your next step? Sorry for all the questions but I am freaking out a little bit here.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't know all the details but my neurologist messaged me to say that I have a new thoracic cord lesion. I haven't seen the official MRI report. He now suggests proceeding with the 3 days of IV steroids that I had asked about last week. I was very suspicious that there was something new going on and unfortunately, I was right.
                            Sorry to learn about the new cord lesion, polopuppy. It appears that you are in tune with your body, as well as your intuition.

Now I am worried about what that means with my current Rituxumab therapy. This is now my second documented relapse since starting Rituximab in October 2018. I know it isn't a cure for MS but all the studies I read indicated extremely low rates of new lesions developing while on Rituxmab. Does that mean it isn't the right med for me? Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was your next step? Sorry for all the questions but I am freaking out a little bit here.
                            I'll let those members with DMT experience share their thoughts about these questions.

Are you going to get the steroid treatment?

Thanks for letting us know what is going on.

Take Care

Comment

Hi polopoppy.

Sorry to hear that your MRI did show another lesion. Hope you feel better soon.

As for DMT, I am not sure how long Rituxumab takes to become effective. Was your first relapse in that window or after? To me, 2 relapses within 14 months seems to indicate that it may not be the best choice for you.

Right now, it seems to be a trial and error approach for each person. There are studies going on that one day, they may be able to predict which drug would be best for you. Unfortunately, we are not there yet.

You should share your concerns with your neuro and get his/her opinion and the pros and cons of staying on current DMT. If a change is recommended, again, ask their recommendation for a DMT and reasons behind it. We all have different risk tolerances, so in the end, it is a choice you need to be comfortable with. The only thing we can do is to make it an informed choice.

Please let us know how you are doing and how your conversation goes. Feel better.
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X