Wearing yourself out with chores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wearing yourself out with chores

I probably asked this question before but I need some reassurance again. Those of you who are exhausted all the time.... do simple chores just make it worse for you? I am trying my best to make Christmas cookies and the effort absolutely fatigues me to the worst level. I'm trying to just limit myself to making one recipe a day or every few days. But that ONE recipe with the stirring and shaping and baking and cooking and decorating and standing and walking around the kitchen is showing me I will probably have to let this "hobby" go in the near future.

I don't have any other talents other than cooking and it's starting to fail me. So, I've always enjoyed doing this for the family, but I can see that I'll have to stop soon.

Anyway, do you all get wiped out like this after baking just one batch of anything? Does it almost take your breath away and make everything else hurt? Maybe I'm just getting old.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I hear you Marti! I've found that if I mix the dry ingredients one day, then add wet ingredients the following day helps breaks up the process.

Another thing I do is make a batch (wet and dry together), then refrigerate the whole mixture until the next day. Some of my recipes call for that anyway. You can even decorate the 3rd day! Some of this can also be done sitting rather than standing.

Even when I'm mixing dry ingredients I pause and sit for awhile to recharge my batteries. I also take a rest and don't do any prep or cooking work for at least a few days before I start in on a new recipe. I am starting chocolate rum ball today!

It's good that you're starting now and hope all your batches turn out yummy!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      I hear you Marti! I've found that if I mix the dry ingredients one day, then add wet ingredients the following day helps breaks up the process.

Another thing I do is make a batch (wet and dry together), then refrigerate the whole mixture until the next day. Some of my recipes call for that anyway. You can even decorate the 3rd day! Some of this can also be done sitting rather than standing.

Even when I'm mixing dry ingredients I pause and sit for awhile to recharge my batteries. I also take a rest and don't do any prep or cooking work for at least a few days before I start in on a new recipe. I am starting chocolate rum ball today!

It's good that you're starting now and hope all your batches turn out yummy!

Thanks for all the good tips. I usually start baking around Oct or Nov but have not had much energy this year. When I get so worn down my head even feels tired. That makes my whole body feel drained. I still love doing this work, but I can't do much more.
      Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
        I still love doing this work, but I can't do much more.
        I love it too, but we can only do what we can. We are not super-moms anymore and we've earned the right to slow down!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Marti,

Maybe you could just pick a few of the favorite family recipes and limit the cookie types you make. I do that now.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

...do simple chores just make it worse for you?
            Hi Marti!

I'm not a cook nor do I bake. Removing the leftover takeout from the fridge constitutes my time in the kitchen ... but regarding the "simple chores".... The everyday things that everyone takes for granted, these things leave me as fatigued as a session at the gym. ANY everyday chore: laundry, dishes, vacuuming, I turn to putty in an hour or so. You are not alone!

Maybe I'm just getting old.

So MS makes it worse. It isn't age, even if we would like to point a finger in that direction. MS has made me older than I am and continues to add daily. Regardless... we, you, I, all who respond, simply go on.

Believe me when I say that you have other talents, or as Shesa stated, go at it differently!

At the very least we continue to learn daily because we have to. Not a lot of "healthy" people can say that.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              Hi Marti!

I'm not a cook nor do I bake. Removing the leftover takeout from the fridge constitutes my time in the kitchen ... but regarding the "simple chores".... The everyday things that everyone takes for granted, these things leave me as fatigued as a session at the gym. ANY everyday chore: laundry, dishes, vacuuming, I turn to putty in an hour or so. You are not alone!

So MS makes it worse. It isn't age, even if we would like to point a finger in that direction. MS has made me older than I am and continues to add daily. Regardless... we, you, I, all who respond, simply go on.

Believe me when I say that you have other talents, or as Shesa stated, go at it differently!

At the very least we continue to learn daily because we have to. Not a lot of "healthy" people can say that.

Thanks so much. It's the type of fatigue that kind of worries me. My head feels so heavy and my eyes hurt more and more. Each little step gets me down. I get chest pain... more like strain... like skeletal and muscle aches. You know what I mean. Best to you.
              Marti

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                Hi Marti,

Maybe you could just pick a few of the favorite family recipes and limit the cookie types you make. I do that now.

Yep, I'm trying to cut down the list of favorites. I'm still making cookies that my Mom made all her life. I'm really honored that my kids are using all the old recipes and keeping up that tradition.
                Marti

Comment

Working...
                X