ADA kitchen wall oven input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADA kitchen wall oven input

Am putting in a kitchen from scratch. What do you all recommend for a single wall oven that has a pull down door with respect to counter space in the vicinity? I´ve seen pics of a pull out counter and pics of no counter at all in front. Am not in a wheel chair as of now, am trying to plan in case and not have to move. Saw that it should be mounted 30 inches off of the floor. I am just under 5 ft. 5 in. tall- does that affect the 30 inch placement?

Hi Temagami.

I don't have a wall oven but I bought a small kitchen island that's 3 feet long that has helped me a lot.

One end of the island is within reach of my refrigerator, my table and my stove. The other end is close to my dishwasher and my sink.

I also have 2 counter height chairs placed near the island.
    I use one of the stools near the sink and dishwasher. I can sit on the stool and unload the dishwasher onto the island. Which has open shelves and drawers that hold most of my every day dishes.

The other stool is near the other end of the island, my cutting board, refrigerator and the stove. I can put hot pans from the stove onto the island. I can pull food out of the fridge and put on the island. I can also clear dirty dishes from the table on to the island and over to the sink and dishwasher.

Because the island is close to everything I can transfer things easily from the table, fridge, dishwasher, stove or cutting board all from a sitting position!

I'm not sure if any of this helps you but I thought it might get you thinking. My friends are always impressed with how much I can do in the kitchen!

Good luck! Ei

Comment

Thanks for your input. The room is not set up for an island due to space and traffic flow- 4 doors. I have thought about a wee cart on lockable wheels or a wee table.

Comment

Hi Temagami,

Good for you to be planning ahead! I know firsthand how challenging it can be in the kitchen in a wheelchair. Unfortunately, it's hard to guess exactly what the height your wheelchair would be. The info I found for planning an accessible kitchen is based on the measurements on the height of the average manual wheelchair. I read that the height of appliances should be 31".

The average height (seat to floor) of a manual wheelchair is 19".
        The height of the armrests is 30".

Some additional info is the overall width of a (large rear wheel) manual wheelchair is 9” wider than the seat. For example, an 18” wide seat would be a 27” wheelchair.

The foot clearance also depends if your feet are supported on their heels or entire foot. You would need more room for turning radius if they are supported by their heels. Not a biggie for the height of anything, but something I've learned maneuvering "off the shelf" and customize wheelchairs.

Certain models can be adjusted for height. A good idea to check into if you ever need a manual chair. I am slightly taller than you and have no problem, but I also have long legs.

Keep in mind the measurements would be different if using an electric wheelchair. Height from seat to floor for instance, would be higher.

As far as countertop next to it, the less you need to manipulate your legs around the better, but that space is also indispensable.

I found this article, which may have some helpful ideas for you:

"Top 5 things to consider when designing an accessible kitchen for wheelchair users" by Wade Wingler. Eastersealstech.com

Here's information provided about appliances:

*Install appliances lower. They should be approximately 31” from floor

*Electric cooktop with staggered burners with controls on the front will eliminate having to reach across hot 9

*Raising the dishwasher 6” to 8” off the floor and making the dishwasher accessible from either side will increase access.

*Appliance controls with a maximum operating force of 5 lbs are standard accessibility requirements.

*Side-hinged oven door which opens the door to the side will allow a seated cook to get closer to opening.

*Using a bottom-drawer freezer style refrigerator makes the freezer accessible.

*If you cannot visit a showroom to test out any of the appliances, find a supplier that will allow you to return the item if it is not a good fit.

*Consider which way you want the appliance doors to swing open and make sure you can access the appliance without contorting your body.

*A cooktop separate from wall oven is best so they both can be installed at a comfortable height.

*Tactile controls such as raised buttons or dials with directional indicators that click into position at each setting can be used to increase safety.

*Appliances with touch pad operation are great for people who have limited finger strength and control.

Best of luck with your kitchen!
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
          Am putting in a kitchen from scratch. What do you all recommend for a single wall oven that has a pull down door with respect to counter space in the vicinity? I´ve seen pics of a pull out counter and pics of no counter at all in front. Am not in a wheel chair as of now, am trying to plan in case and not have to move. Saw that it should be mounted 30 inches off of the floor. I am just under 5 ft. 5 in. tall- does that affect the 30 inch placement?

I rebuilt my home back in 1992. The kitchen was totally rebuilt. Put in a wall oven microwave unit. Counter space on either side. I bought the cabinet from Menards and it was for a double oven unit. The oven sits 18 inches off the floor with the microwave on top of it. I was not in a wheel chair at the time. I now use a GoGo scooter in the house and find everything very accessible.

Comment

Working...
          X