Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    From NMSS:
    Most people with RRMS are diagnosed in their 20s and 30s (although it can occur in childhood or later adulthood), while PPMS diagnosed during the 40s or 50s.

The transition from RRMS to SPMS generally occurs in people who have been living with RRMS for at least 10 years.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wh...g-remitting-MS
    Thank you, I've seen some variant age ranges used on different websites so I wasn't sure. Even "20's and 30's" is vague but I guess you'll have that with this disease.

Comment

Originally posted by uazip0510 View Post
      Thank you, I've seen some variant age ranges used on different websites so I wasn't sure. Even "20's and 30's" is vague but I guess you'll have that with this disease.
      You're welcome.

I noticed that this link addresses date of dx, rather than date of onset. Althogh most people are dx in their 20's and 30's, some people with MS are diagnosed outside of this age range.

Although my first MS flare occurred three months before my 40th birthday, it took almost two years for me to be diagnosed. I was 41 when dx.
      Last edited by Mamabug; 11-29-2019, 09:58 AM.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yes, I had what was believed to be a 6 week vertigo relapse at 29, then nothing until 42. And at 42, L'Hermites, annoying, but not major relapse. MRI at 29 and 30 was clean, one at 42 had brain and spinal lesions.

So even though diagnosed late, was still RRMS.

So averages are just that. With any statistic, there is variability. I would wait until you get testing done before assuming it is MS. It does seem like you have multiple things going on. As hard as it is to wait, when we Google things, we can cause ourselves a lot of anxiety, which in turn can cause problems.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

2) How do doctors decide what form of MS you have?
          Unlike relapsing forms of MS, primary-progressive MS (PPMS) is characterized by a fairly steady, gradual change in functional ability over time — most often related to walking — without any relapses. Due to this basic difference in the disease course, different criteria are used to make an accurate diagnosis of PPMS. The criteria for a diagnosis of PPMS are:

1.One year of disease progression (worsening of neurological function without remission), AND

2.Two of the following:

*A type of lesion in the brain that is recognized by experts in as being typical of MS

*Two or more lesions of a similar type in the spinal cord

*Evidence in the spinal fluid of oligoclonal band or an elevated IgG index, both of which are indicative of immune system activity in the central nervous system

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wh...Progressive-MS

Hope this helps.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I haven't heard from my Dr yet but the results posted online and it says everything was normal. Can you have a normal brain MRI and have MS or is it unlikely at this point?

Comment

Can you have a normal brain MRI and have MS or is it unlikely at this point?
              Yes, it's possible but further testing should be done and other criteria determined.

"A normal MRI does not absolutely rule out MS. About 5% of people, who are confirmed to have MS on the basis of other criteria, do not show any lesions in the brain on MRI. These people may have lesions in the spinal cord or may have lesions that cannot be detected by MRI. A clear-cut diagnosis might be made based on an evaluation of symptoms, signs, and the results of an MRI, but additional tests may be ordered as well. These include tests of evoked potential, cerebrospinal fluid, and blood"

This may be helpful for you as you navigate though the diagnostic process - https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Na...asic-Facts.pdf

Take care!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I haven't heard from my Dr yet but the results posted online and it says everything was normal. Can you have a normal brain MRI and have MS or is it unlikely at this point?
                It is possible to have MS without MRI evidence. However, It is important for you to not get stuck on the possibility of MS as there can be another reason for your symptoms.

I would, again, suggest you see an Orthopedist as that very well could give you some answers to, at least, some of the joint issues/pain.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  Yes, it's possible but further testing should be done and other criteria determined.

"A normal MRI does not absolutely rule out MS. About 5% of people, who are confirmed to have MS on the basis of other criteria, do not show any lesions in the brain on MRI. These people may have lesions in the spinal cord or may have lesions that cannot be detected by MRI. A clear-cut diagnosis might be made based on an evaluation of symptoms, signs, and the results of an MRI, but additional tests may be ordered as well. These include tests of evoked potential, cerebrospinal fluid, and blood"

This may be helpful for you as you navigate though the diagnostic process - https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Na...asic-Facts.pdf

Take care!
                  Thank you!

Comment

Part of the reason my diagnosis took so long (40 years) was because all of my tests were negative. The brain lesions didn't show up until sometime over the last 4 years, and I still have no spinal lesions.

Don't let my experience discourage you! i didn't push hard enough over the years for a diagnosis or extended testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                      A clear-cut diagnosis might be made based on an evaluation of symptoms, signs, and the results of an MRI, but additional tests may be ordered as well. These include tests of evoked potential, cerebrospinal fluid, and blood"
                      From what you have shared in your posts, I haven't really seen any overwhelming neurological signs or symptoms that are typical of MS.

Maybe your neuro saw signs of neurological deficits in your clinical neurological exam, but if that's the case, you haven't shared what objective signs that your neuro found?

Take Care
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        From what you have shared in your posts, I haven't really seen any overwhelming neurological signs or symptoms that are typical of MS.

Maybe your neuro saw signs of neurological deficits in your clinical neurological exam, but if that's the case, you haven't shared what objective signs that your neuro found?

Take Care
                        Not sure what specifically he ordered the test based on but I went to him with these symptoms:

- Burning sensation felt on both outer ears
                        - Middle back pain (I can feel the exact spot where the pain is)
                        - Bilateral pain and tingling in feet
                        - Bitlateral tightness in calves/knees

Comment

Not sure what specifically he ordered the test based on but I went to him with these symptoms:

- Burning sensation felt on both outer ears
                          - Middle back pain (I can feel the exact spot where the pain is)
                          - Bilateral pain and tingling in feet
                          - Bitlateral tightness in calves/knees
                          Ok, thanks. Your neuro probably also considered the fact that you had some symptoms in 2012 and 2016 as well.

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                          X