A Few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few Questions

1) How long does a flare typically last? Does it come on suddenly or gradually (over several weeks)?

2) How do doctors decide what form of MS you have?

3) I experienced mild symptoms in 2012 and again in 2016 before this all started again recently - I know nobody can diagnose me, but IF this is MS would that timeline suggest RRMS moreso than the other types?

4) Is MS back pain typically felt right on the spine?

5) Can MS present without any numbness and weakness?

Thanks!

1) How long does a flare typically last? Does it come on suddenly or gradually (over several weeks)?
    An exacerbation (relapse, flare-up, attack) can last weeks to months depending on the exacerbation. Again, depending on the exacerbation, recovery can take longer. Each person with this disease has a different experience with exacerbations.

The exacerbation that got me diagnosed came on very quickly and severely. It took 3 months for a diagnosis and I stayed as I was for the entire process. Then it took another six weeks, with steroids, to start seeing an improvement. It took me a year to recover after that.

The most common "type" of MS is RRMS. Your Neurologist will follow you and over time he will be able to determine the "type" of MS one may have.

3) I experienced mild symptoms in 2012 and again in 2016 before this all started again recently - I know nobody can diagnose me, but IF this is MS would that timeline suggest RRMS moreso than the other types?
    My answer in #2 explains this

Back pain can be due to many things and not necessarily MS. Any back pain I may have is due to spasticity (very tight muscles) and my gait being "off." I don't have pain on the vertebrae (spine).

Each person can present differently, with different symptoms.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      An exacerbation (relapse, flare-up, attack) can last weeks to months depending on the exacerbation. Again, depending on the exacerbation, recovery can take longer. Each person with this disease has a different experience with exacerbations.

The exacerbation that got me diagnosed came on very quickly and severely. It took 3 months for a diagnosis and I stayed as I was for the entire process. Then it took another six weeks, with steroids, to start seeing an improvement. It took me a year to recover after that.

The most common "type" of MS is RRMS. Your Neurologist will follow you and over time he will be able to determine the "type" of MS one may have.

My answer in #2 explains this

Back pain can be due to many things and not necessarily MS. Any back pain I may have is due to spasticity (very tight muscles) and my gait being "off." I don't have pain on the vertebrae (spine).

Each person can present differently, with different symptoms.
      Thank you this is very helpful! Can spasicity create joint problems? (Knees, elbows)

Comment

Originally posted by uazip0510 View Post
        Thank you this is very helpful! Can spasicity create joint problems? (Knees, elbows)
        As I mentioned in your other Thread, I would suggest you see a Orthopedist about your Knee. Even IF you had MS my suggestion would be the same. Those with MS need to be careful we don't assume something is due to MS before seeing the appropriate Dr.

When muscles are tight enough it can create pain in the knees.

I can tell you my right knee is in bad shape and I deal with quite a bit of pain. However, this has nothing to do with MS, not even spasticity.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I was told that spasticity doesn't affect joints. I have spasticity in legs that cause spasms and muscle tightness, constant stretching and Rx Baclofen to help.

I also started joint pain recently. I had it years ago, but it went away. Now, told arthritis. Interesting point that a physical therapist did say - I had a muscle imbalance that was affecting my knee. He said it may be from MS spasticity, but once the imbalance was addressed, the pain went away. So now I have exercises to do to work the one area to prevent the imbalance from coming back.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

In the beginning, mine would come on rather suddenly and last 3-6 months. I don't know if it's because I've been dealing with them now for so long and recognize the warning signs or if they've changed, but it seems that for the last 12 years or so that the startup has been gradual. After several months, the worst of it hits like a sledgehammer and then lasts for another 6 months.

Mine have always occurred roughly 3-4 years apart, and I've now been diagnosed as RRMS. The one 4 years ago left the first significant permanent changes in about 20 years and led to a major decline in all abilities. This year's flare was still identifiable as being a new one, but at 11 months it's the longest I've ever had. I've had lasting damage from all of them, but for the first 35 years that was negligible. They affected my private life but not my jobs.

I've never known whether my back pain was related to MS or not. If I lay too long (and that is relative), I hurt the whole way across my back rib cage just below the bra line. If I walk or stand too long, I feel it in a narrow lumbar region. If I'm physically active, the spine itself hurts between those two areas. I've discovered that going to sleep with a hot water bottle on my lower back decreases my leg pain the next day and improves my mobility, as compared to the nights when I don't use it.

Weakness has always been a problem for me, but I didn't have any numbness for the first 27 years. It was rather severe when it appeared in 2007, disappeared for several years, and has been intermittent for the last five.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I suppose I'll start getting answers soon enough. This has hit me pretty hard - I've never had a serious health issues before and now the last few months - left knee starts hurting, then spine pain right in the middle, then right elbow, then feet, then legs feeling tight - I don't remember quite what "normal" is. I've had a few cysts on my back show up too and have never had that before. It's hard to tell what symptoms go with what problem.

I am just trying to tell myself that the sooner we find out what this is - MS or something else - the sooner treatment can begin to try to feel better.

Comment

Thanks!
                1) Mine usually lasted three weeks or longer.

2) RRMS is relapsing remitting and is the most common initial presentation. SPMS only occurs years after RRMS, thus "secondary" progressive.
                PPMS presents very differently and is likely not difficult for a neuro to differentiate from the other two.

3) RRMS is the most common.

4) and 5) Symptoms are different for everyone.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I am just trying to tell myself that the sooner we find out what this is - MS or something else - the sooner treatment can begin to try to feel better.
                  Absolutely! It's hard to be in limbo.
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I've had a few cysts on my back show up too and have never had that before. It's hard to tell what symptoms go with what problem.
                    See a Dermatologist about the cysts. They can be easily removed (it's an in office procedure). Cysts are typically benign, but the Dermatologist will have them biopsied. Cysts really are not a major problem and are easily taken care of.

MS does not cause cysts.

uazip0510, it appears you are trying to group all of your health issues into one cause and from what you are posting that is more than likely not the case.
                    Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                      See a Dermatologist about the cysts. They can be easily removed (it's an in office procedure). Cysts are typically benign, but the Dermatologist will have them biopsied. Cysts really are not a major problem and are easily taken care of.

MS does not cause cysts.

uazip0510, it appears you are trying to group all of your health issues into one cause and from what you are posting that is more than likely not the case.
                      Oh yes for sure. I didn't mean to suggest those were caused by MS - just saying I hadn't really had any health issues and now a whole bunch of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                        PPMS presents very differently and is likely not difficult for a neuro to differentiate from the other two.
                        How so? I believe my mother had PPMS - she was diagnosed back in 2001. Obviously a lot has changed since then.

Comment

How so? I believe my mother had PPMS - she was diagnosed back in 2001. Obviously a lot has changed since then.
                          The big difference is the lack of early flares or remissions at the outset. If you click on the link, there is more info, including a graphic which shows the kinds of disease activity that can occur in PPMS.

From NMSS:
                          PPMS is characterized by worsening neurologic function (accumulation of disability) from the onset of symptoms, without early relapses or remissions. PPMS can be further characterized at different points in time as either active (with an occasional relapse and/or evidence of new MRI activity) or not active, as well as with progression (evidence of disease worsening on an objective measure of change over time, with or without relapse or new MRI activity) or without progression. Approximately 15 percent of people with MS are diagnosed with PPMS.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wh...progressive-MS
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                            The big difference is the lack of early flares or remissions at the outset. If you click on the link, there is more info, including a graphic which shows the kinds of disease activity that can occur in PPMS.

From NMSS:
                            PPMS is characterized by worsening neurologic function (accumulation of disability) from the onset of symptoms, without early relapses or remissions. PPMS can be further characterized at different points in time as either active (with an occasional relapse and/or evidence of new MRI activity) or not active, as well as with progression (evidence of disease worsening on an objective measure of change over time, with or without relapse or new MRI activity) or without progression. Approximately 15 percent of people with MS are diagnosed with PPMS.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wh...progressive-MS

I noticed this from the link:

"The average age of onset is approximately 10 years later in PPMS than in relapsing MS."

I've seen this elsewhere, but what is average age of onset in relapsing?

Comment

From NMSS:
                              Most people with RRMS are diagnosed in their 20s and 30s (although it can occur in childhood or later adulthood), while PPMS diagnosed during the 40s or 50s.

The transition from RRMS to SPMS generally occurs in people who have been living with RRMS for at least 10 years.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Wh...g-remitting-MS
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X