Gut Microbiome Changes Evident in Newly Diagnosed MS Patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gut Microbiome Changes Evident in Newly Diagnosed MS Patients

A DNA analysis to identify changes in the gut microbiome in people newly diagnosed with multiple sclerosis — who have yet to begin using disease-modifying therapies — showed that all, regardless of ethnic background, have an abundance of the bacteria group Clostridia compared to people without MS, a study reports.

Identifying changes in the gut microbiome — the collection of microorganisms, bacteria, viruses, and fungi present in the gastrointestinal tract — that are associated with MS may lead to new diagnostic markers, or perhaps identify an environmental root cause of the disease, its researchers said.

The study, “Gut microbiome of treatment-naïve MS patients of different ethnicities early in disease course,” was published in the journal Nature.

Growing evidence suggests that changes to the gut microbiome play a role in MS.

Studies in mice suggested that gut bacteria can influence both pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory responses. In one study, mice raised in a germ-free environment were resistant to MS-like disease, but became susceptible when their gut bacteria were restored.

Studies in humans have been inconclusive, as most study participants have been living with MS for a long time and have used, or are taking, disease-modifying treatments that can alter the gut microbiome.

A team of researchers at the New York University School of Medicine analyzed the gut bacteria of people in the early stages of MS who had yet to be treated, and compared findings to the gut microbiome of healthy controls to determine if there were differences associated with MS.

The researchers believe that studying the gut bacteria in people with early stage MS, who are still treatment-naïve, may provide a better understanding of how gut microbiome changes can influence, or perhaps lead to, MS.

As MS severity can vary between different ethnic backgrounds, people were recruited from three major ethnic groups in the local population: African-Americans, Hispanics, and Caucasians.

Overall, the team enrolled 45 people diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) who had yet to be treated with disease-modifying or biological therapies from the NYU Multiple Sclerosis Comprehensive Care Center clinic.

Among these patients, 14 self-identified as African-Americans, 15 as Caucasians, and 16 as Hispanics. Healthy control participants were ethnically matched.

DNA sequencing was used to identify bacteria from participants’ stool samples, and microbes with similar sequences were grouped together as closely related species (genus).

The analysis revealed an increase in the population of a related group of bacteria called Clostridia in MS patients from all three ethnic groups, compared to controls. (Clostridia are typically found in the human microbiota of the gut, present primarily in the intestinal tract. The Clostridia group includes several species.)

Differences among people from different ethnic groups were also identified. In some cases, greater numbers of specific bacteria were observed in the Caucasian group only versus control, while different bacteria were more abundant in Hispanics and African-Americans groups compared to controls.

“Whether or not the differences we found in the microbiota compositions between our CA [Caucasians], HA [Hispanics], and AA [African-Americans] groups of MS patients may account for some of the differences in disease course between ethnic groups requires further study,” the researchers wrote.

An analysis to measure the variety of bacteria species within a single sample, and between different samples, found no significant difference between MS patients and controls, or between the ethnic groups, with a single exception — a greater variety of bacteria among individual samples from the Hispanic group.

As MS may be influenced by more than one group of microbes, the team examined whether MS-related differences existed in pairs or groups of bacteria found together (bacterial networks). MS patients compared to controls had a decrease in the number of bacterial networks, suggesting that the overall composition of gut bacteria differs in people with this disease.

Participants also completed a dietary survey to measure how wide a range of foods they consume, such as yogurt, probiotics, bread, red and white meat, fatty foods, and fruits and vegetables. No significant differences in diet were found among participant groups.

All three ethnic groups of MS patients analyzed had a greater relative abundance of Clostridia compared to controls, the researchers concluded. However, “further work is needed to elucidate a functional role for the increase in Clostridia representation that we and others have observed in the MS population,” they wrote.

Future “studies will help determine whether candidate species alter immune functions to contribute to early MS, which would have implications for diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of MS,” the team concluded.

Source: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...isease-course/

Originally posted by Marco View Post
    A DNA analysis to identify changes in the gut microbiome in people newly diagnosed with multiple sclerosis — who have yet to begin using disease-modifying therapies — showed that all, regardless of ethnic background, have an abundance of the bacteria group Clostridia compared to people without MS, a study reports...

Source: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...isease-course/
    Marco,

Thank you so much for posting this information. The connection between the gut microbiome, the human genome, and auto-immune issues could be the key to solving the puzzle with so many chronic diseases.
    All the best, ~G

Comment

I can't seem to link this article but Medscape recently posted:
      'Interesting Changes' in Gut Bacteria After MS Treatment
      by Nancy Melville 10/24/19

It is regarding ocrelizumab (Ocrevus, Genentech/Roche)
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        I can't seem to link this article but Medscape recently posted:
        'Interesting Changes' in Gut Bacteria After MS Treatment

It is regarding ocrelizumab (Ocrevus, Genentech/Roche)
        I think it's titled:
        'Intriging Changes' in Gut Bacteria After MS Treatment

Is this it?
        https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/920373
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
          I think it's titled:
          'Intriging Changes' in Gut Bacteria After MS Treatment

Is this it?
          https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/920373
          Yes! I wasn't able to copy/paste the title and apparently my sort term memory is seriously lacking.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
            ... apparently my sort term memory is seriously lacking.
            Lol! ......
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Good article

Back in 2010 I spent 10 days in the hospital. The conclusion was I didn't have any good bacteria in my gut. I was told to start eating yogurt. Just missing one day messes me up.

Comment

microRNA Found in Gut Microbiome May Unlock Future Therapeutic Approach for MS

A small RNA molecule found in high levels in the gut of people with multiple sclerosis (MS) could be used to develop a new therapy for MS in the future, an early research study reports.

Orally giving this microRNA — called miR-30d — to mouse models of MS reduced the effects of the disease, which was linked to the growth of a specific bacterial strain. It also led to an increase in regulatory immune cells.

Now, a team of researchers from Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston found a pathway unlocked by specific bacteria in the gut that could be explored to develop new therapies for MS.

While studying the role of the gut microbiome in MS progression, the researchers made an unexpected finding. They discovered that transferring fecal matter from mice at MS-like peak disease could ease disease symptoms in mice receiving the transfer.

The team identified a specific microRNA — a short RNA molecule that affects the expression or activity of genes — as the factor responsible for attenuating the disease. This particular microRNA, known as miR-30d, also was found to be present in high levels in the feces of untreated, relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) patients.

The researchers then tested a synthetic or lab-made version of miR-30d, and found that when given orally to mice, it prevented disease development.

Further, miR-30d was found to promote the growth of one intestinal bacterial species, called Akkermansia muciniphila, which was previously suggested to have anti-inflammatory properties and help people overcome obesity.

The microRNA did so by “turning on” the production of an enzyme, known as lactase, that breaks down sugars in A. muciniphila. This prompted the bacteria to flourish in the gut. In turn, the expansion of A. muciniphila triggered an increase of immune Tregs, which helped suppress the MS-like symptoms in mice.

“It’s unexpected and perhaps counter-intuitive that something we find in the microbiome during peak disease could provide protection,” Shirong Liu, MD, PhD, the study’s lead author, said in a press release.

“But we hypothesize that the effects we’re seeing represent a protective mechanism. Most patients with relapsing-remitting MS spontaneously recover from acute attacks. What we’ve found here may be a part of that recovery rather than a reflection of disease progression,” Liu said.

Although more research studies are needed before these insights can turn into a therapy, the scientists believe the unexpected findings can open up a new avenue for treating MS and other human diseases.

“We’ve discovered a new mechanism to regulate the microbiome and treat human disease that hadn’t been known before,” said Howard Weiner, MD, the study’s senior author and co-director of the Ann Romney Center for Neurologic Diseases at the Brigham.

“The gut microbiome is known to play an important role in MS and other diseases. Our findings, which show that a microRNA can be used to target and influence the microbiome with precision, may have applicability for MS and many other diseases, including diabetes, ALS, obesity, and cancer,” Weiner concluded.

Source: https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ple-sclerosis/

Comment

Working...
                X