Scheduled for a Brain MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scheduled for a Brain MRI

Hi everyone. I've seen a neurologist recently and he scheduled a brain MRI for me for next week. He didn't say it directly, but it seems he thinks MS may be possible. My symptoms, some of which started in May, have been:

Heel and ball of foot pain in both feet (started in August, has never gone away)

Joint pain in knees (started with my left knee - my very first symptom I noticed)

Right elbow joint pain

Middle and upper back pain

Tightness from knee down (intermittent but seems worse lately)

Fatigue in the mornings

Burning sensation at top of both ears (no physical issues with either; Dr. gave me Gabapentin which has helped)

No balance problems, dizziness, bladder issues, sexual dysfunction, or vision issues. I don't seem to have weakness (that seemed fine when my Dr. tested me).

I previously experienced some mild tingling in my legs back in 2016 and again in 2012 that came and went. All bloodwork has been normal aside from a weak positive ANA.

Does this sound like MS, maybe RRMS?

Hi uazip0510 and welcome to MSWorld

Does this sound like MS
    I certainly can't tell you if what you are experiencing sounds like MS or not. Many things can sound or appear to be MS but isn't. There are many things that can cause symptoms similar to MS such as other conditions, medication side effects, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, and more.

Best wishes on your upcoming MRI.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello uazip and welcome!

I think MS presentations vary from person to person.

I have PPMS, and pain was not a symptom for me (and fortunately it's currently not a frequent symptom either). For others with MS, it may be.

Bladder frequency and urgency, gait issues, heat sensitivity, and muscle weakness were some of my presenting symptoms.

In any case, good luck next week, and let us know what you find out.

If you have any other questions, just ask and we'll be glad to help, if we can.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yeah, the "fun" part about MS is that we're all different. Part of the reason I was so hard to diagnose is that for many years my symptoms were so odd that they really didn't fit any known disease, and all my tests came back negative. The only thing in my favor is that the incidents followed a pretty set time period and formed a pattern that way.

Whatever you do, don't give up! Maybe they'll find a non-MS diagnosis for you, and maybe it'll just take a while to find that you do have MS. I've had multiple MRI's since that testing became available in my area, and it wasn't until this year that anything definitive showed up.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. The thing that throws me off is the heel pain when walking, which is a chronic symptom for me and the only thing that has significant impact on me. I haven't seen many others talk about heel pain, but maybe I just haven't read through enough!

Comment

While I was working, and on my feet a lot, I had the heel/ball-of-foot pain. it would last for days, even when I was off, then go away for a week. Then it would come back for several days, go away again. I frequently limped for no other reason than that my feet hurt. Since I quit working I've only had minor issues with it, and nothing that interfered with my walking. I've been lucky, though, in that I've never had joint pain.

Comment

Originally posted by uazip0510 View Post
              The thing that throws me off is the heel pain when walking, which is a chronic symptom for me and the only thing that has significant impact on me. I haven't seen many others talk about heel pain, but maybe I just haven't read through enough!
              Have you been to a Podiatrist (foot Dr.)? If not that would be my suggestions.

Information about Heel Pain:
              https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/...s/sym-20050788

Have you seen a Orthopedist about your Knee Pain? Knee pain can be associated with arthritis as well other problems with the knee(s) that should be evaluated.

It is possible that your symptoms are not related to MS but only testing and your Neurologist can determine that.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                Have you been to a Podiatrist (foot Dr.)? If not that would be my suggestions.

Information about Heel Pain:
                https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/...s/sym-20050788

Have you seen a Orthopedist about your Knee Pain? Knee pain can be associated with arthritis as well other problems with the knee(s) that should be evaluated.

It is possible that your symptoms are not related to MS but only testing and your Neurologist can determine that.
                I actually visited one on Thursday. My neurologist recommended it because it doesn't think it's related to my neurologic symptoms. I've never seen it listed as an MS symptom but wasn't sure. It's pretty pretty constant since August.

Comment

I actually visited one on Thursday.
                  A Podiatrist, Orthopedist, or both? What was the out come, if you don't mind sharing.
                  Diagnosed 1984

Comment

A Podiatrist, Orthopedist, or both? What was the out come, if you don't mind sharing.

Podiatrist. They said they didn't think it was PF. Gave me night splints and an anti-inflammatory topical cream to try on my feet. I'm supposed to go back in 2 aeeks.

Comment

Podiatrist. They said they didn't think it was PF. Gave me night splints and an anti-inflammatory topical cream to try on my feet. I'm supposed to go back in 2 aeeks.
                      No x-rays? I am surprised. I have problems with my feet, some is related to MS and some is not. I had two exacerbations (relapse, flare-up, attack) that along with many other symptoms effected my feet which have permanent nerve damage.

I have extreme pain on the bottom of my feet which is not related nor caused by MS. The pain on top of my foot as well as my toes are due to MS and nerve damage from an ankle fracture that happened years ago.

Just to mention again, you should see an Orthopedist about your knees. It's really not common for MS to cause random joint pain.
                      Diagnosed 1984

Comment

No x-rays? I am surprised. I have problems with my feet, some is related to MS and some is not. I had two exacerbations (relapse, flare-up, attack) that along with many other symptoms effected my feet which have permanent nerve damage.

I have extreme pain on the bottom of my feet which is not related nor caused by MS. The pain on top of my foot as well as my toes are due to MS and nerve damage from an ankle fracture that happened years ago.

Just to mention again, you should see an Orthopedist about your knees. It's really not common for MS to cause random joint pain.
                        Sorry I should have mentioned - they did do a foot xray - nothing abnormal. All of this started with left knee pain, so maybe I have something else goinb on. I also visited a rheumatologist, but they didn't think I had RA, PsA, etc based on bloodwork.

Comment

uazip is it only the brain MRI or is your Neurologist also doing a spine MRI? When MS is suspected it is best if both are done. Multiple Sclerosis is a disease of the Central Nervous System(CNS) which includes the Brain, Spinal Cord, and Optic Nerves.

Hoping your MRI goes well
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

uazip is it only the brain MRI or is your Neurologist also doing a spine MRI? When MS is suspected it is best if both are done. Multiple Sclerosis is a disease of the Central Nervous System(CNS) which includes the Brain, Spinal Cord, and Optic Nerves.

Hoping your MRI goes well
                            Thank you! Only brain, which aggrevates me a bit as I wanted both.

Comment

Thank you! Only brain, which aggrevates me a bit as I wanted both.
                              MRIs are very expensive. It's not easy to get them approved by insurance, especially without a diagnosis.

Please take heart - your neurologist might have anatomical reasons, related to your specific symptoms, for just doing a brain MRI. The last thing you need is to feel like you're not getting good treatment when you're finally getting a needed MRI.
                              All the best, ~G

Comment

Working...
                              X