amantidean for energy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amantidean for energy?

Does anyone take amantidean for energy? I used to be on this but a hospital I was in stopped it. I'm starting to think I need it again. I just hate how my ms makes me so tired, so i need to depend on coffee for energy. I used to be on Provigal but that was too strong I was awake which seemed to be a month.

Originally posted by lexcomm View Post
    Does anyone take amantidean for energy? I used to be on this but a hospital I was in stopped it. I'm starting to think I need it again. I just hate how my ms makes me so tired, so i need to depend on coffee for energy. I used to be on Provigal but that was too strong I was awake which seemed to be a month.
    Hi lexcomm

I don't have experience with Amantadine, but hopefully others can share their experience with it.

Is your tiredness the 'sleepy' kind, or mostly physical fatigue, or both?

The treatment may depend on whether there is an underlying cause, such as: poor sleep, depression, medications that cause drowsiness, physical disabilities that drain energy from too much activity etc.

I get motor fatigue (muscles get tired and weak) if I am overactive, or don't take rest periods. I don't get the 'sleepy' type of fatigue, thankfully. Coffee (3 cups per day) and B Complex vitamins are my main energy boosters, at this time.

I have used Provigil, years ago when I was working, but it did nothing for my physical fatigue. Rest and cooling down are the only things that help me with that.

In any case, hopefully you and your doctor will find a solution for your tiredness.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi lexcomm.

I used Amantadine for several months to try and treat MS Fatigue. I did not find any benefit from this medication for fatigue. Amantadine is an anti-viral medication which has been around for many years, this medication had been found to help with fatigue. For some it helps, for others it doesn't.

If you found that Amantadine helped your fatigue then please speak to your Neurologist about restarting Amantadine.

Other possible options for fatigue is:
      ~ Attention Deficit Disorder medications such as Adderall, Ritalin, etc.
      ~ Although you couldn't use Provigil, a similar medications would be Nuvigil
      ~ Non-medication options: Rest/nap and exercise. Exercise has shown to help with some MS symptoms such as Fatigue/energy, pain, and spasticity.

Best wishes.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I did try amantadine years ago. It really did nothing for me. Provigil did for years, but then stopped working.

Do you remember how you were feeling before starting amantadine? Is it how you feel now? If so, since prescribed before, you may need.

If you feel like you are constantly tired and no amount of rest let's you recover, chances are you need something. If caffeine and other things seem to work, you may not need it. But if it is excessive amounts of caffeine, then amantadine may be warranted.

It is worth a call to your neuro to discuss. Let him know how long you have been off it and how the fatigue is affecting you now. If there was no medical reason to stop it, then it may be something you need.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I've tried all the anti-fatigue meds out there but none of them can hold a candle to exercise. If I could pop a pill and get the same energy as moving my body, I'd do it. I actually don't exercise because I love it...I wish. I exercise because I don't want to fall apart any faster than I absolutely have to. One day I may feel different, but for now it's worth it to push myself to do as much exercise as I can.
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
            I've tried all the anti-fatigue meds out there but none of them can hold a candle to exercise. If I could pop a pill and get the same energy as moving my body, I'd do it. I actually don't exercise because I love it...I wish. I exercise because I don't want to fall apart any faster than I absolutely have to. One day I may feel different, but for now it's worth it to push myself to do as much exercise as I can.
            How true. Same for me!
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X