JAMA comprehensive study in the effectiveness of functional medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JAMA comprehensive study in the effectiveness of functional medicine

Is your Health Care Provider supportive of your interest in functional medicine?

If they are waiting for more research to be published that supports a functional medicine approach to health and wellness, then I have a paper for you to download, print and hand off to your care team.

The Journal of the American Medical Association (one of the very top medical journals in the world that Health Care Practitioners count on for authoritative guidance) published the first comprehensive 5-year study on the effectiveness of Functional Medicine.

The study compared 1,595 patients seen at the Functional Medicine Center at the Cleveland Clinic with the results of 5,657 patients with a similar range of chronic health problems seen in the Family Health Center at the Cleveland Clinic. What was the outcome?

In the summary words of the Journal, ‘(comparing) Patients in the Functional Medicine Center with data at both 6 and 12 months demonstrated improvements in quality of life scores (overall symptom relief) that were significantly larger compared with patients seen at the Family Health Center’.

Access the full report here.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2753520
    Last edited by Mamabug; 11-09-2019, 01:48 PM.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Thank you Mamabug.

J

Comment

Thank you.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Is your Health Care Provider supportive of your interest in functional medicine?

If they are waiting for more research to be published that supports a functional medicine approach to health and wellness, then I have a paper for you to download, print and hand off to your care team.

The Journal of the American Medical Association (one of the very top medical journals in the world that Health Care Practitioners count on for authoritative guidance) published the first comprehensive 5-year study on the effectiveness of Functional Medicine.

The study compared 1,595 patients seen at the Functional Medicine Center at the Cleveland Clinic with the results of 5,657 patients with a similar range of chronic health problems seen in the Family Health Center at the Cleveland Clinic. What was the outcome?

In the summary words of the Journal, ‘(comparing) Patients in the Functional Medicine Center with data at both 6 and 12 months demonstrated improvements in quality of life scores (overall symptom relief) that were significantly larger compared with patients seen at the Family Health Center’.

Access the full report here.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2753520
      I have not read it yet but I always forget to come back and say thanks so I did that first.
      "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Can anyone tell me what is meant by "functional medicine"? Thanks!
        Tawanda

Comment

Functional medicine is a form of alternative medicine. My doctor emphasizes his belief that "food is medicine". He believes that a healthy diet and other lifestyle changes can often prevent and manage chronic illness.

Other things we talk about include exercise, drinking enough water, stress management, getting rid of toxins, etc.

This is a really simplified explanation.

I've been posting about my journey with functional medicine, and some additional alternative therapies. You can find it here.
          https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...eat-free-dairy
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation! No matter what ails you, a healthier lifestyle seems most appropriate.
            Tawanda

Comment

You're welcome. Here is a website with more info than you'll ever want.

https://www.ifm.org
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
              X