• Show
Clear All

Exercise Check In 11/07/2019

5 checked in this last week.

3 met goals.
    1 made partial goals.
    1 did not set goals.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.

(It feels good to be finished with my busy weeks of company, followed by KC trip. Now I can get back to setting and working on goals. Thanks for being patient with me while I was often AFK.)
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Howdy everyone...

Fell short again this week.

2 nights if Jiu Jitsu..... accomplished
    3- 3 mile runs...... got in a 4 mile run 2 of the 4 were at under an 8 minute pace. I normally shoot for a 9 minute mile pace.
    3 weight training sessions..... accomplished

Average daily step count is 11,566. My previous goal was 7500 a day. I think I'll add 7.5K steps average to my goals.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Didn't set goals, but I met partial usual goals

Thurs - 2028 steps;
      Fri - 1353 steps;
      Sat - 1201 steps;
      Sun - 1265 steps;
      Mon - 1836 steps; Chair Yoga, Strong Seniors
      Tues - 1808 steps;
      Wed - 1410 steps; Chair Yoga, Strong Seniors

Total steps = 10,901 steps. Average: 1557 steps per day
      Total exercise = 4x

I didn't set goals because of my KC trip. And, I wouldn't have met all of my usual goals. But, I feel OK about my week.
      - Two of the days would have been more steps if my tracker could have measured them. We were at museums and I borrowed W/C's there. My arms aren't strong enough to move it along, so I "walked" it forward with my feet. It was a pretty good workout for my legs because my shins were sore. I likely still wouldn't have met my steps goal, but I would have been closer.
      - I did meet my exercise goal of 4x per week, including strength training.
      - My biotracker numbers improved slightly from two weeks ago (10/05/2019), so that makes me feel good.

Goals:
      1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
      2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or Senior Center (chair yoga and strong seniors), PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
      3. Include some strength training on some of my exercise days (could be PT).
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Looks like Mamabug is back and doing well. And I'm usually impressed with Boudreaux's numbers regardless of meeting his set goal. Kudos to all!

Did all my routines as usual with one notable gain today.

Today is usually arm / upper body day after cardio but we had measured a few routines to use as a benchmark pre Botox injections. 6 weeks in... and there was noticeable improvement! Not "over the moon" but definitive! Was nice to see trainer excited, honestly. I try to keep a level head but still had to smile!

Last note: Received a few deliveries pertaining to the wearable foot-drop gizmo I've been playing with. I do best when I stare at the stuff for a while... More to come.

Comment

Great work everyone! goals met or not, it looks like everyone is having a physically healthy week.

I met my goals even though I only babysat once. We have had some nice sunny days (sorry for those of you having storms), so I was able to get outside and clean up more flower beds 3 days in a row and I'm almost done! Some housecleaning as well.

I'm pleased with my PT exercises and stretches. What keeps me going is the encouragement my PT guy is giving me. He said I'm doing a good job. What motivates me more is the fact that I feel stronger. My back and gluts are not so tight and more pain free. Yoga helps in this way too. Small gains, but huge pats on my own back, if I'm allowed.

Keep it going all and have a wonderful week ahead!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hello everyone

Looks like you all put in good efforts with getting exercise, one way or another!

I accomplished my exercise goals, with 2 days that required me to 'dig deep' for the strength to achieve them. Thankfully, I had more good days than 'off' days.

Will continue with the same goals.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

5X a Week: Walk with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time + In-chair ab crunches 2X a day @ 10 crunches each time + Leg exercises

Good energy, perseverance, and peace of mind to all.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              Today is usually arm / upper body day after cardio but we had measured a few routines to use as a benchmark pre Botox injections. 6 weeks in... and there was noticeable improvement! Not "over the moon" but definitive! Was nice to see trainer excited, honestly. I try to keep a level head but still had to smile!
              Hi Jer

If you don't mind my asking, did you say that your arm has the tendency to bend, (or is difficult to straighten out) due to spasticity, and that is the reason for the Botox injections?

Thanks!
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                ...the reason for the Botox injections?

Hi KoKo,

My right arm had been at a 90 degree angle pre Botox. Tight & painful with little in the way of ROM. Exercise extended the ROM somewhat and changed the pain into fatigue, a trade off, but I'd rather feel the effort of an attempt.

6 weeks since Botox: Arm still crooked but not at 90. Increased ROM during exercise. Less pain. MORE strength! And something that I'm still not sure of, but since you asked... might just feel a bit more "fluid" in general, not as tight. Yesterday after gym, I posted... today still feeling kinda l o o s e ! It's the small things isn't it?

Jer

Comment

Hi KoKo,

My right arm had been at a 90 degree angle pre Botox. Tight & painful with little in the way of ROM. Exercise extended the ROM somewhat and changed the pain into fatigue, a trade off, but I'd rather feel the effort of an attempt.

6 weeks since Botox: Arm still crooked but not at 90. Increased ROM during exercise. Less pain. MORE strength! And something that I'm still not sure of, but since you asked... might just feel a bit more "fluid" in general, not as tight. Yesterday after gym, I posted... today still feeling kinda l o o s e ! It's the small things isn't it?

Jer
                  Thanks for your response Jer.

I asked because, while doing some stretches this morning, I thought of another small difference in one of our specific symptoms (which you got me started paying attention to).

My arm issue is the opposite of yours. Your arm wants to stay in flexion. My arm has a tendency to stay in extension.

ROM, stretching consists of bending my arm often throughout the day to keep it loose (I grab my wrist, bend arm so my hand touches my shoulder, hold it for several seconds).

So, while you have to work on the extension of your arm, I have to work on the flexion.

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    So, while you have to work on the extension of your arm, I have to work on the flexion.

Thinking out loud here...

Appears my lesion(s) location is contracting my arm... your lesion location requires work to extend arm....!

What a pair! There's a joke in here somewhere ;-)

J

Comment

What a pair! There's a joke in here somewhere ;-)
                      When you find it, let me know!

Comment

Thinking out loud here...

Appears my lesion(s) location is contracting my arm... your lesion location requires work to extend arm....!
                        I guess, perhaps, some nerve tracts control the arm extensor muscles and some nerve tracts control the arm flexor muscles.

Comment

Working...
                        X