Do you ever feel that you are cursed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you ever feel that you are cursed?

I know this can be a highly debatable question, but does anyone else ever feel that they have been cursed?
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

I feel sorry for myself sometimes but I don't really feel cursed. I figure things could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by choco View Post
      I know this can be a highly debatable question, but does anyone else ever feel that they have been cursed?
      No, I can't say that I have ever felt cursed.

I sometimes feel frustrated, but often feel blessed too.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Not for a second have I felt cursed. I have struggled like everyone else, but struggles help build character. If you believe in supernatural curses do you also believe in supernatural blessings?

I can tell you that despite my numerous struggles I am still blessed. It's also helpful to have an attitude of gratitude to keep from feeling any type of despair.

I find when I am at my lowest points is when I am strictly focused on myself and my problems. I feel best when I am helping others with their own problems. I have more sympathy and empathy for other people going through struggles. This always helps my perspective about life and my struggles.

Even MS has brought about positives in my life if I take the time to soberly consider things. I do go to therapy and find it as a useful endeavor to help me resolve my emotions.

I hope your question sparks a healthy conversation so we can all learn and grow from one another.

I wish you well...

Comment

Yes. I do feel cursed sometimes.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

No, I don't believe in curses. I also get down and feel like I can't keep going and at times I don't want to keep going. That's when I turn to God for strength. I also have many blessings.

Marco, I also feel better when I am helping others ( in my small way.)
            God Bless Us All

Comment

...does anyone else ever feel that they have been cursed?

" 'I will never be happy again and I have every right to be angry and every right to hate every single person who doesn’t have this curse. I do not deserve joy or happiness. I am not deserving of anything. There is no way I can deserve anything in life since I’ll never be anything that I wanted to be…' " *

The ups and downs of MS can open doors to gratitude (Marco, myself and many here) but also into the abyss. I can see how staring into the negative may result in feeling cursed. You need to shrug it off, to come to your senses. Most do.

*The first paragraph, from an old post, is an example of where you not want to go.

Comment

No; I don't feel cursed. I think that everybody has their "stuff". MS is a part of my stuff; it is what it is.

I have so many other blessings. I don't think that I'd trade my "stuff" for somebody else's. I'm grateful for my blessings, and I've learned how to cope with my challenges.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

During my early days of diagnosis, I did. I had a great boyfriend in college, whose mother was disabled by MS. When he graduated, he moved his Mom and younger brother with him out of a bad city neighborhood and took them with him.

I wasn't particularly nice when I broke up with him. My friends had me convinced he was going to propose - I wasn't ready, so rather than being mature and discussing, I withdrew and broke it off. He had no idea why.

Anyway, for a few years, I thought my diagnosis was payback! Once I was in a better frame of mind, I realized that was just crazy thinking on my end.

Not sure why I have MS, but it's not because I am cursed.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

After 25 years with a definite MS dx, I've never felt "cursed" but I've felt that I've been dealt a "bad hand" many times (MS dx, losing my job, divorce, etc.). After all it's not how many times we fall down, it's how many times we get back up (even with assistance!).

But, I realize "how lucky" I am to have started tx six months before my 29th birthday, no treatments were available when I was first dx at the age of 25. Presently, we have so many tx options from which to choose (many more tools to fight this MonSter).

Ultimately, that's "Life." Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug!
                    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I don't believe in curses but do feel I got screwed over by getting MS. Not especially surprising as my life hasn't been the easiest but it would have been nice to avoid having this piled on top.

While I wish many things were different bottom line for me is play the hand you are dealt.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

There have been times MS was the least of what I had to deal with. Dealing with, literally, a life time of "stuff" that was completely not of my doing and completely out of my control made me feel and think some very negative, self-loathing and hateful things about myself and others.

Each person has different life experiences. It's those experiences that can shape our perspectives, positive or negative. None of us had any control over receiving a diagnosis of MS, But, we do have control how we react and respond, positive, negative, or even neutral about MS.

Although you have every right to feel how you do, or designate any term you want to this disease, sometimes the term and feelings becomes who you believe you are.
                        Diagnosed 1984
                        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                          Although you have every right to feel how you do, or designate any term you want to this disease, sometimes the term and feelings becomes who you believe you are.

Sort of like the adage of "you are what you eat" and "you are what you think/believe"

Many times in my life I've had to face the challenge of "fake it until you make it". Didn;t change the fact that I have MS, but my perspective of it changed considerably.

Never felt that I was cursed. Just given a challenging blow to my overall well being.
                          Now, more than ever, I try to count my blessings.

Here's a story that helped change my perception - The Story of Two Wolves https://www.habitsforwellbeing.com/t...of-two-wolves/

You do have every right to feel how you do, choco, as do all of us!
                          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha I love the story of Two Wolves.
                            God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks.
                              The story has already been here in a thread somewhere in the past.
                              I love it too!
                              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X