Biotin interferes with certain test results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biotin interferes with certain test results

FDA in Brief: FDA reminds patients, health care professionals and laboratory personnel about the potential for biotin interference with certain test results, especially specific tests to aid in heart attack diagnoses

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/fda-...out-potential?
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Thanks for this important warning,KoKo. A good reason to check the levels in certain multi-vitamins.
    There was some talk about people here taking high doses of Biotin a couple of years back. Hope those doing so will read the brief.

(As an aside.. I started taking it because female hair loss runs in the matriarchal side of my family and I was noticing signs of hair loss. After one week I noticed my scalp was itching badly and decided to stop taking it. It went away within couple days - weird!)
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Update to the FDA Brief

Recommendations for Consumers

•Talk to your doctor if you are currently taking biotin (also called vitamin B7) or are considering adding biotin, or a supplement containing biotin, to your diet.

•Know that biotin is found in multivitamins, including prenatal multivitamins, biotin supplements, and supplements for hair, skin, and nail growth in levels that may interfere with laboratory tests. However, the amount of biotin can vary significantly among different products. Consider that the daily recommended allowance for biotin is 0.03 mg and that amount does not typically cause interference in lab tests

•Be aware that some supplements, particularly those labeled to benefit hair, skin, and nails, may have high levels of biotin, which may not always be clear from the name of the supplement. FDA is aware of many supplements containing 20mg of biotin, and some containing up to 100mg per pill, with recommendations to take multiple pills per day. Supplements containing high biotin levels may interfere with affected lab tests.

•Sufficient information is not available to know if stopping biotin consumption for any number of hours prior to testing will prevent incorrect test results.

•If you had a lab test done and are concerned about the results, talk to your health care provider about the possibility of biotin interference.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...communication?
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks KoKo, Like Seasha I took it for awhile for hair loss and decided it didn't help. Just recently I was thinking about a higher dose. Hello Wig? Maybe
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
          Thanks KoKo, Like Seasha I took it for awhile for hair loss and decided it didn't help. Just recently I was thinking about a higher dose. Hello Wig? Maybe
          Do you like beef liver, REG? It has 30mcg of biotin per 3 oz serving.

Foods with biotin:

Food sources of biotin include red meat, eggs, nuts, seeds and some vegetables. Animal-based protein sources like beef liver, chicken liver, salmon and eggs have a high biotin content. It’s also found in smaller amounts in vegetables such as broccoli, sweet potatoes and spinach and in many types of nuts and seeds.

https://foodinsight.org/what-is-biot...-food-sources/

Take Care

Comment

Thanks KoKo. Really important reminder that our docs are aware of not only all Rx and OTC meds, but also all supplements with dosage and frequency. I keep a list in my wallet.

Going to have to check my multivitamin to see how much Biotin is in it and make a note of it on my list!
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

is large dose available OTC?

A timely post for me. My daughter is an RN who just attended a workshop on alternative meds and supplements. She asked me if I take biotin.

So, I've been reading about it. I asked my functional med doc about it too. He hadn't heard about its high-dose use for MS. He's a big believer in B vitamins. He looked it up, bit we ran out of time to talk about it, so I'll follow up next visit.

I've been re-reading old posts and checking the internet. It sounds like it offers some benefits for people with progressive MS.

The study that's being done is a large dose -- 300 mg daily, much much more than we'd get on a multi vitamin.

Can we obtain such a large dose OTC?
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                Can we obtain such a large dose OTC?
                Yes, there are 100mg biotin capsules available online now.

Not sure how accurate, but I have read that pharmacy grade is better (from a compounded pharmacy).

MD1003 (a high-dose pharmaceutical grade biotin) trial results for MS treatment are supposed to be ready in early 2020.

Take Care

Comment

Thanks....
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

KoKo, No liver for me but I do like some of the foods on the list. Thank you for the infor.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                    X