I am scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
    choco, My heart went out to you when I read your post. I can relate, I fall often but so far I can get up using a chair but it's not easy.

Living in fear is the worst for me. I am learning to give it to God.

Saying a prayer for you and I hope you can get the help you need.

Thank you 😘
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      I also wonder about a "Fall Alert" button of some kind that will ensure that help is available in the event of a fall.
      Yes mamabug, as mentioned in my earlier reply, this device would be essential if I did not have my mobile phone practically glued to my body 24/7 lol
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi Choco
        One thought I had is grab bars. I have grab bars located near stair ways, the toilet, the tub any place where I think they will help. Maybe you can have one put in near where you transfer on to the stair lift so you can grab it when your transferring.
        Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Leenyi View Post
          Hi Choco
          One thought I had is grab bars. I have grab bars located near stair ways, the toilet, the tub any place where I think they will help. Maybe you can have one put in near where you transfer on to the stair lift so you can grab it when your transferring.
          Good luck
          That’s a brilliant idea, if only I can figure out a way to make that happen logistically, will give it some thought, thanks.

Comment

Hi Choco,

don't know how safe it would be,* but maybe a transfer board would help?* Have you ever been trained how to use one before?

I've used one to safety transfer with my* bed,* commode, other wheelchairs, and the car.** I learned* from a OT during a long stint in inpatient rehab, and was glad I did.* Couldn't have maintained my independence without it.
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
              Hi Choco,

don't know how safe it would be,* but maybe a transfer board would help?* Have you ever been trained how to use one before?

I've used one to safety transfer with my* bed,* commode, other wheelchairs, and the car.** I learned* from a OT during a long stint in inpatient rehab, and was glad I did.* Couldn't have maintained my independence without it.
              Kimba, another helpful suggestion, thank you - I have never heard of this - I will look into it and if the time ever comes at least I will know it’s an option.

Comment

I am scared too

Choco and Koko, I can relate to your fear of falling. These past three weeks have been particularly challenging for me. On Thanksgiving I fell to the floor while transferring from my wheelchair to the toilet and I couldn't get up. I had to call my husband (who is wonderful, by the way) at work. Now I'm afraid to use the toilet by myself. My husband helps me in the morning before he leaves for work. But I have to wait all day until he returns before I can use the toilet again. There's got to be a better way.

I also fell while transferring from my bed to the wheelchair. Had to call my husband at work again. Now he helps me transfer from the bed to the wheelchair before he leaves for work in the morning, and I stay in the chair all day until he returns. I've tried to find a occupational therapist who will come to my home, but no luck so far. I did see a physical therapist a few days ago, and he gave me the name of a place that offers in-home therapy, so I am working with my health insurance to see if we can work something out. In the meantime I don't know what to do. I'm in a bind! Any suggestions?

Comment

Hello gellexi

I'm sorry to learn that you have been dealing with transfer falls. It is scary and frustrating when we have lost confidence in the ability to move our bodies as needed.

Would you be able to use a walker as a 'go between' during your transfers? I need to use my rollator walker (brakes on) to stand, and then take a couple steps to pivot and back-up to sit on toilet (which is an elevated bedside commode with armrests, placed over the toilet).

Fortunately I do still have the strength to take steps with my walker, though, which may not be doable for you.

Originally posted by gellexi View Post
                  I did see a physical therapist a few days ago, and he gave me the name of a place that offers in-home therapy, so I am working with my health insurance to see if we can work something out.
                  Fingers crossed for you, that you are able to receive the in-home therapy. They could evaluate your strengths and weaknesses to see if there is a safe way for you to transfer, or advise on using assistive devices that may help.

Please let us know if your therapy is approved. We're rooting for you!

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi gellexi

So sorry to hear about your falls. Been in the same boat myself. I've had to call 911 a few times as well. Embarrassing to be rescued from the floor by a group of firemen.

Originally posted by gellexi View Post
                    Now he helps me transfer from the bed to the wheelchair before he leaves for work in the morning, and I stay in the chair all day until he returns.
                    I can totally relate.

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    Would you be able to use a walker as a 'go between' during your transfers? I need to use my rollator walker (brakes on) to stand, and then take a couple steps to pivot and back-up to sit on toilet (which is an elevated bedside commode with armrests, placed over the toilet).

Fortunately I do still have the strength to take steps with my walker, though, which may not be doable for you.
                    This was also first thing that came to mind.

I also use a bedside commode. Mine is at bedside, making it easier to get to from both my bed and wheelchair, but the bucket can be removed and it can placed over the toilet. The height is adjustable, so raising the seat helps with both sitting down and getting back up again. Arms on them can be used to assist with sitting down and getting back up again. Mine also has the drop arm feature, which has enabled me to use a transfer board.

You can probably locate one at a retail store near you by doing a Google search. There are many places that offer them, but it can take a few days if it needs to be shipped. An OT ordered mine from a durable equipment supplier in my area when I was in inpatient rehab (at the time I didn't need the drop arm feature, but glad the OT had the foresight to order it for me anyway) Came as a surprise when it was delivered to my room the day before my discharge. At the time I didn't know she felt it was a safer alternative for me.

I also found my two wheeled walker was better choice than my rollator walker when making a transfer from my wheelchair to the commode.

If you can get to the commode safely, the less fussing you need to get your clothes off the better.

Elastic waist pants have become my best friend.

Bending to reach my pants around my ankles to pull them back up was a definite fall risk for me. Something that helped me so my pants didn't fall to the ground where it was hard to reach is a fabric strap tied around my thigh. The one I use I got when in inpatient rehab, but something like the tie from a robe would work, too.

Some women prefer to wear skirts, but that has never been my preference.

There are times I don't wear bottoms at all. I cover up in my wheelchair with a towel or small throw and protect my wheelchair with a folded disposable mattress pad.

There are also adaptive pants that make toileting easier that has a flap instead of full bottom, but I do not have any personal experience with them.

I've found better protection when wearing a pull up is also wearing a Poise pad.

Unfortunately, when toileting is a problem, we drink less. That puts us at high risk for UTIs, that can lead to more problems. I got sepsis not once, but twice from a UTI. Drinking less also leads to constipation. While short term that may seem beneficial, it leads to other problems as well.

As far as sitting in a wheelchair all day, you are at risk for pressure sores. Wheelchair pushups help relieve the pressure from your bottom. You basically push up with your arms to lift your bottom up off the wheelchair. Another thing is shifting your bottom by leaning to each side and forward. Something else you need if you don't already have it is the tilt feature with your wheelchair. This will help take some pressure off your bottom throughout the day.

As for long term, something to consider is a suprapubic catheter if you continue having difficulty getting to the commode. You would need to consult with a urologist for this. I now have one, and it's made my life easier.

I've had to hire a home health aid when there was no one else available who could help me. Something to be aware of though is if you can't assist by bearing your own body weight, they are not required to lift you due to safety concerns. You would have to have a lift they could use to transfer you.

In-home therapists have limited access to supplies/ equipment, unlike outpatient therapy. What they bring they supply by themself. If they recommend any equipment, you would need to purchase it before they could work you with it. A gait belt, drop arm bedside commode, transfer board and walker are items that may be what's needed to assist you.

I wish I could suggest more that might help you. I'm so sorry you are facing this right now.

I hope in-home therapy is approved soon by your insurance company, and helps you. Best of luck
                    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

You have got ropes to help you get out of bed. What a great idea! I have been trying to figure out something myself.

Does the rope hang from the ceiling?

Comment

Working...
                      X