"if you have your health...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"if you have your health...

...you have everything!" So what does that mean for the rest of us? That we have nothing!? I heard someone say it again on the news today, and decided this expression really bugs me! Is it even P.C.?
    Tawanda

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
    ...you have everything!" So what does that mean for the rest of us? That we have nothing!? I heard someone say it again on the news today, and decided this expression really bugs me! Is it even P.C.?
    I think saying 'you have everything' might be a stretch, but good health (physical, mental, and emotional) certainly allows people to have many more opportunities to enjoy doing the things they really want to do, and enjoy life the way they want to.

I've had to learn to accept life on life's terms and enjoy the simple things in life, and to be grateful for the abilities that I still have.

I try not to 'sweat the small stuff'.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Tawanda,

Are you perhaps a bit oversensitive?

Anyone with any ailment, chronic especially, will agree that all material things are so much rubbish compared to health.

It's adversity. It's another test. It's not nothing, but a quiet ongoing battle that even those closest to us cannot fully comprehend.

This axiom shouldn't be elevated to a source of discord. ie; No P.C. police.

J

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        Hi Tawanda,

Are you perhaps a bit oversensitive?
        Yes!!! Or at the very least I am "thin-skinned" about my "condition". I also don't like hearing about somebody "suffering" with MS...or that they are a "victim" of MS (unless, of course, there are plenty of MS funding dollars at stake !). Perhaps I am living in denial?
        Tawanda

Comment

If you have your health,you have everything?

It's a phrase; nothing more, nothing less.

To me, it indicates that good health is valuable. IMO, it's an exaggerated statement.

I have so much more.
          - I have a husband and we've stuck it out through better and through worse.
          - I have two adult kids with good hearts; they care about other people.
          - I have two grandsons that I adore.
          - I have friends, I have a support system, I have blessings.
          - I have memories -- of a career I loved, of a childhood with parents who loved me, etc.

If I had my health without many of these additional blessings, I wouldn't have "everything".

Tawanda If you wish to allow that phrase to bother you, that's your choice. I choose, instead, to assume that someone is simply expressing their gratitude for their own good health. Nothing more. Their gratitude doesn't reflect on my worth or lack of it.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I have so much more.
            - I have a husband and we've stuck it out through better and through worse.
            - I have two adult kids with good hearts; they care about other people.
            - I have two grandsons that I adore.
            - I have friends, I have a support system, I have blessings.
            - I have memories -- of a career I loved, of a childhood with parents who loved me, etc.

If I had my health without many of these additional blessings, I wouldn't have "everything".
            Well spoken!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes!!! Or at the very least I am "thin-skinned" about my "condition". I also don't like hearing about somebody "suffering" with MS...or that they are a "victim" of MS (unless, of course, there are plenty of MS funding dollars at stake !). Perhaps I am living in denial?
              Yeah, I prefer "living with MS" too. My aunt recently said "you're the picture of health" when I was tired, which in a way one could consider discriminatory in itself, like anything other than the picture of health is less-than. Anyway for me this is why it is so much easier to take things at face value. Yes, I am the picture of health (no matter how I feel). And after all, the famous Saturday Night Live character, Fernando Lamas, said "it's better to look good than to feel good, dahling." (a bit of comedy)
              All the best, ~G

Comment

I’ve never liked it. But I think that most sayings are pretty stupid, so...🤣

It’s a way to tell people who are feeling sorry for themselves that they have it better than... me? And simply because I have MS, I’m the benchmark for where it gets really crappy? “Hey, you have it bad, but at least you’re not as low as her.”

I don’t know who came up with that statement. Maybe it was an older person who was talking to a young, healthy person who was complaining about life. The old guy was thinking that bad stuff keeps happening to old people, too, but now they have arthritis on top of the taxes being due. Or something like that.

That’s a guess, and I think that’s what it really means. But these sayings always point to a group to compare to. And that group is standing there going, Hey! 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                  But these sayings always point to a group to compare to. And that group is standing there going, Hey! 🤣
                  I think I finally went, "Hey!" after I heard that quote for the hundredth, billionth time yesterday and recognized that hairs were standing on the back of my neck. I've had MS for 15 years (probably 25) and decided that although I'm not traditionally healthy, I've been a good enough human to keep a lot of plates in the air with some degree of success! Of course I am starting to turn into that old person that yells at the neighbor kids to get off my lawn, too (just kidding)! I hope I never resort to saying this to my 18 y.o. daughter when she seems so clueless about my condition...it really wouldn't make either one of us better!
                  Tawanda

Comment

This is an example of a thread where I have learned something.

Or maybe better said; It's refreshing to hear all the diversity of opinion, not only expressed civilly but reflective of MSW.

People helping people.

The opinions expressed, all who responded, may be more insightful, deeper, heartfelt, than any outlier attempting an answer.

Thanks Tawanda!

Comment

A little late to this conversation. The saying doesn't really bother me.

I tend to look at it that if you have good health, then you have a lot to be grateful for. It leaves all doors open to you in life.

If you have health issues, it is not that you can't have everything, just that it may be a harder road. And depending if terminal versus chronic conditions, the road is different.

And the term "everything" can be subjective. MS has forced me to slow down and notice the smaller things in life. Things I might not have thought twice about before are really important now. So these little things might not be on a healthy person's everything, but it is part of my everything!
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Good point!

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                        A little late to this conversation. The saying doesn't really bother me.

I tend to look at it that if you have good health, then you have a lot to be grateful for. It leaves all doors open to you in life.

If you have health issues, it is not that you can't have everything, just that it may be a harder road. And depending if terminal versus chronic conditions, the road is different.

And the term "everything" can be subjective. MS has forced me to slow down and notice the smaller things in life. Things I might not have thought twice about before are really important now. So these little things might not be on a healthy person's everything, but it is part of my everything!
                        I may not have everything, but it would be helpful to have a little more gratitude for the stuff I still have! I also don't have to buy into every saying either. I used to hate, "I may have M.S. but M.S. doesn't have me", but I may be willing to adopt that mantra again as it really is pretty good actually!

Thanks for all the good input on this Y'all!
                        Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                        X