Weighted blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weighted blankets

Anyone know anything about the weighted blankets for sleep? I've heard some good things. Looking into a throw... something about 10 lbs. I'd appreciate any advice you have.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I don't know if they work or not, but I should be able to offer something after December. My boy is showing signs of both lupus and MS and just recently started the endless rounds of testing. Anyway, he's been wanting to try one of these forever, so I've decided to get him one for Christmas. For myself, I can't tolerate weight on my body, so I just use several fleece blankets.

Comment

Originally posted by NoraS View Post
      I don't know if they work or not, but I should be able to offer something after December. My boy is showing signs of both lupus and MS and just recently started the endless rounds of testing. Anyway, he's been wanting to try one of these forever, so I've decided to get him one for Christmas. For myself, I can't tolerate weight on my body, so I just use several fleece blankets.

Thanks Nora. I ordered the 10 pounder. I don't like weight on me either, but I am trying everything these days!! Good luck with your son. I also have Lupus and MS in my family.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Common with Autism

My son is on the spectrum. A lot of kids with autism use weighted blankets. My friend made one for my child, but he didn't like it. She made a simple one with fleece. In each corner of the blanket, she sewed in the gravel you put on the bottom of a fish tank. So, the corners were all weighted. Not sure if this helps or not.

Comment

How do you wash a 10 pound blanket?

That sounds like an elephant joke, but I’m asking seriously. I think it would kill my washer.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
            How do you wash a 10 pound blanket?

That sounds like an elephant joke, but I’m asking seriously. I think it would kill my washer.
            Maybe put it in a duvee cover so you can remove the duvee and wash just that and not the blanket?
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Like the duvet idea! Can't use then myself...I tangle up the ties with my restless tossing and turning. Many other people use them with a great degree of success, however!

Basically did a quick engine computer search just now, and FWIW, if it weighs less than 20 pounds, you can wash it in your washing machine (just not on the gentle cycle) and line dry it. Of course you can always go to a laundry mat and use a commercial washing machine, but over time this costs much more than you paid for the original blanket (I no longer buy king-sized blankets for that very reason - I can only wash them in the biggest washing machine at the laundry mat so they are quite the investment!).

You are smart to think of the cost of maintenance when buying ANY product. It's not like the product's marketing people are going to do that for us! I, myself, have to weigh out every purchasing decision VERY carefully these days!
              Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                Like the duvet idea! Can't use then myself...I tangle up the ties with my restless tossing and turning. Many other people use them with a great degree of success, however!

Basically did a quick engine computer search just now, and FWIW, if it weighs less than 20 pounds, you can wash it in your washing machine (just not on the gentle cycle) and line dry it. Of course you can always go to a laundry mat and use a commercial washing machine...
                If a weighted blanket came apart during washing it might ruin the machine. Someone in my family had a pillow come apart and the machine had to be disassembled and cleaned to get it functional again.

A laundromat might be safer, if feasible.

Comment

My son loves his blanket! The first time he used it, he just wrapped up in it intending to watch some TV. He woke up several hours later and says it's the best sleep he's gotten in years!

Comment

Working...
                  X