Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veering with Walking

Hi Everyone,

I have been having some symptoms that have me worried that I may be having a relapse. One of the most noticeable issues is that I keep finding myself veering to the right when I walk. It is hard to describe but no matter how hard I try to go straight, I can't. My feet seem to get twisted up with each other. Has anyone else experienced this before? Does it even have a name? I see my neurologist next week so I will bring it up with him but I certainly appreciate your personal observations.

Thanks!

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have been having some symptoms that have me worried that I may be having a relapse. One of the most noticeable issues is that I keep finding myself veering to the right when I walk. It is hard to describe but no matter how hard I try to go straight, I can't. My feet seem to get twisted up with each other. Has anyone else experienced this before? Does it even have a name? I see my neurologist next week so I will bring it up with him but I certainly appreciate your personal observations.

Thanks!
    Hi polopuppy ~

The drifting that you experience while you walk could be caused by impaired MS signals, but may also be a symptom of other disorders such as inner ear problems , TIA, etc.

Did this drifting while you walk occur suddenly, or gradually over time?

I have progressive MS (no experience with relapses), and have drifting. Early on, this would occur only when fatigued, or too warm, etc., but then over time would happen often.

I don't notice it as much now because I use a 4-wheel rollator for support.

In any case, it's good that you will let your neurologist know.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi polopuppy.

I veer to the right as well, but this preceded what I know to be my first relapse. My mom, veered to the left. When she was in her late 70s, they suspected she might have had benign MS. But she didn't get tested further, as she figured the diagnosis wouldn't change anything.

So depending on which side we started on, when I walked with my mom, we either veered away from each other or walked into each other! Always good for a laugh.

Funny, I never thought of it related to MS.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Polopuppy.

My great grandmother had ms for many years. My grandmother said her mother would veer off the path when she was trying to walk back to the house after pulling weeds in the garden. She blamed it on the ms.

I used to have a big garden but I gave it up not because I veered off course but because I'd get so overheated I'd have to crawl back to the house!

Let us know what your Neuro says.

Comment

I've done that a couple of times too. But it doesn't last long for me. Hope you feel steadier soon.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

When I used my cane I would veer off mostly to my left. Once I was walking into Home depot and I was trying to walk straight but veered off to left where some flowers were on display so I stopped and look at the flowers so people wouldn't notice.

Even when I would hold my DH arm I would get him off balance so now I used my rollator mostly,

I just assumed it was ms.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks for all your replies! I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but we have been without power due to the terrible winds and wildfires here in California.

To Koko: Drifting is the perfect word for what is happening to me. I don't really know if it started gradually or not. I was really sick with the flu and an apparent reaction to the Shingrix vaccine. I think I noticed it after being sick. It does seem worse when I am tired. We had a hiking event for work this weekend. I was only able to do about a quarter of the hike but the drifting got much worse the longer I walked and the warmer it became.

To Pennstater: That is funny about you and your Mom. I have a friend that had a retinal detachment and ever since, she has started to drift left. When walking together, I always stay on the right and she on the left so we don't crash into one another. I have no idea if this problem is my MS but it seems a likely suspect.

To Leenyi: I let you know what my neurologist says next Tuesday. Is it only you and your great grandmother that have MS in the family? One of my maternal Aunts was diagnosed a couple years back in her mid 50's. I think we are the only one in my huge family.

To Marti: I hope I am steadier soon, too. I had many falls, especially last year and this makes me nervous that it may cause yet another fall. Somehow, there is comfort in knowing that others have had the same symptom and that I am not alone.

To Reg53: I think stopping to enjoy the flowers was a great save! LOL. I guess it is probably MS but I will see what the doc thinks. It is almost time to repeat my imaging and for my next 2 doses of Rituximab. I have had either new or chronic spinal cord lesions on my last couple MRI's.

I'll update next week.

Comment

Hi polopuppy

To Koko: Drifting is the perfect word for what is happening to me. I don't really know if it started gradually or not. I was really sick with the flu and an apparent reaction to the Shingrix vaccine. I think I noticed it after being sick. It does seem worse when I am tired. We had a hiking event for work this weekend. I was only able to do about a quarter of the hike but the drifting got much worse the longer I walked and the warmer it became.
                Fatigue, heat sensitivity, fever, infection, virus, etc. can exacerbate, or bring out, MS symptoms (nerve damage) that are usually silent.

Thanks for all your replies! I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but we have been without power due to the terrible winds and wildfires here in California.
                Hope the winds and fires end soon. That must be awfully stressful for you and everyone.

Take Care
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi polopuppyy

You asked if I had more relatives with MS. Yes I do.
                  I have one cousin on my mom's side and I have 2 cousins from my dad's side that have it. So probably quite a few of those ms genes in my body.

I often worry about my 2 children and 4 grandchildren. Hoping that treatments or a cure will keep us all safe!

Comment

polopuppy, I've done this off and on for years. With me, it generally means I'm heading for a bad spell. It takes longer to walk, but I've learned to stop, angle my body towards the left as though I want to walk that way, take a few steps (which of course veer right), and then start over again with angling my body to the left.

Sometimes, if I'm in a store or a place that has well-marked lines in the floor, I'm able to walk straight by slowing my pace and focusing entirely on staying on that line. Again, it slows the process down, but it makes me feel a little less like everyone's watching me.

Someone told me years ago that it was a symptom of MS, but I don't remember whether it was the very old nurse or one of my former overseas contacts.

Comment

Quick update: I just returned home from seeing my neurologist. He isn't entirely sure if this veering symptom is indicative of new demyelination or a pseudo-exacerbation, as Koko mentioned.

He ordered a million labs, which I completed today, along with brain, C-spine and T-spine MRI's in a couple of weeks. My next Rituximab cycle will follow the new imaging. I will be receiving only one 1000 mg dose this time, rather than two, unless my B cells have started to repopulate. Physical therapy is planned because my balance and walking today were pretty awful.

I may not be much the wiser but at least I have a plan. Thank you all for responding to my post.

Comment

To Koko,

Yes, the winds, fires and power outages have been awful but things are much better than the last time I posted. The fire is almost completely contained and we haven't had terrible winds for several days. Best of all, our power has been on and steady. A week ago today, we couldn't even go outside with a N-95 mask due to the awful smoke and I live 90 minutes south of the big fire.

My neurologist did discuss pseudo-exacerbations at length with me today, especially since many of these symptoms came on after viral illnesses. It would be great if that is what is going on. I guess the imaging will sort that out.

Thanks!

Comment

To Leenyi,

Wow, that is a lot of MS in your family. It is especially interesting that it is on both your Mother and Father's side of the family. Have you or your other family members participated in the UCSF MS Genetics Project? Thanks for sharing your personal family history.

Comment

Quick update: I just returned home from seeing my neurologist. He isn't entirely sure if this veering symptom is indicative of new demyelination or a pseudo-exacerbation, as Koko mentioned.

He ordered a million labs, which I completed today, along with brain, C-spine and T-spine MRI's in a couple of weeks. My next Rituximab cycle will follow the new imaging. I will be receiving only one 1000 mg dose this time, rather than two, unless my B cells have started to repopulate. Physical therapy is planned because my balance and walking today were pretty awful.

I may not be much the wiser but at least I have a plan. Thank you all for responding to my post.
                            Thanks for the updates, polopuppy.

Keep us posted, as much as your busy life will allow.

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                            X