Years on Tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years on Tecfidera

Just wondering how many years people have been taking Tecfidera. I've been taking Tecfidera for a little over 5 years. No changes in MRI scans or mobility. I'm very active and walk about 15-18 miles a week. I've been fortunate to be in very good shape. Not sure if this is due to the medication or would I be this way without it. I'm not sure any doctor could answer that question. I'm about to ask my neurologist what he thinks in a few weeks.

Glad you are able to tolerate the Tecfidera so well, hopefully it is helping as much as it sounds like it may be. Unfortunately I did not tolerate it and had to go back to Copaxone (Glatopa) injections after about 20 months as my white blood cell count was dropping off. I am sure glad we have options!

Comment

Originally posted by rsinger View Post
      Not sure if this is due to the medication or would I be this way without it. I'm not sure any doctor could answer that question. I'm about to ask my neurologist what he thinks in a few weeks.
      That's the million dollar question my friend! Not just with Tecfidera, but all DMTs. And what if our MRI is a mess? How do we know it wouldn't be even worse if we didn't take XYZ med? We don't!

In any case, wrong or right, I think most of us with MS fall in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category. At least I do!
      Tawanda

Comment

There's simply no way to know what your MS course would have been had you not been on Tecfifera. Your course may have been identical or much harder without the Tecfifera.

On average, patients on disease modifying therapies do better than those who forego treatment.

I think about it like a seatbelt in a car. If you get into an accident it will improve your chances of survival. Now in a wreck it might leave you with a bruise where you were restrained (like the side effects of the medication), but for the majority of the people the pros still outweigh the cons.

It sounds like you have reached the ultimate therapeutic goal of no evidence of disease activity (NEDA). In your situation, I would simply be grateful and wouldn't change a thing. I'm so happy for you and hope you remain in a state of NEDA forever.

I wish you well...

Comment

I have been on tecfidera for almost 8 years now and doing well so far. No relapses since being on it. “Knock on wood”

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
          ― Helen Keller

Comment

Years on Tefidera

Ladybug162,
            It's a pretty good medication. Easy to take with no problems. No reason to stop at this point. I will be 68 and was considering discontinuing but afraid to do that. Glad to hear from you.

Comment

Originally posted by rsinger View Post
              Ladybug162,
              It's a pretty good medication. Easy to take with no problems. No reason to stop at this point. I will be 68 and was considering discontinuing but afraid to do that. Glad to hear from you.
              Yes, that’s what I love the most about it is how easy it is to take. Glad you are doing well on it! Take care!

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
              ― Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
              X