Exercise check in thread 10/17/2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise check in thread 10/17/2019

Leaving in minutes for airport to pick up daughter and grandsons. I won't be posting much for awhile.

Please post your exercise anyway. Sorry for my absence.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Thanks for opening the thread Mamabug. Enjoy the company.

I did not make my goals.

My goals for this week were:
    2 night of Jiu Jitsu.....Got one session in
    3 3 mile runs.....Got one 6 mile run in
    3 weight training sessions....none

Toe was damaged last weekend but only slowed me down for a day or two. I also had a little cold that was messing with me at the beginning of the week although I am still coughing up some phlegm.

I've been struggling with getting out of bed in the morning (0430) early enough to make it to the gym but will get back to it soon hopefully. Keep it going yall.

I'll keep the same goals for next week.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Good work trying, Boudreaux. Having a cold must make it harder to reach those goals. Hope you feel better soon!

I had an active week for me.
      Babysitting 2 morning with a trip to the park one time where I did a lot of walking with my rollator trying to keep up with my active preschooler. whew.

Had appt with PT and learned more exercises which I've been trying to do
      Good weather 2 days and worked on cleaning up more garden beds.
      Doing more yoga to keep this old body working better.

Hope you all keep up the good work ahead!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made Goals

Hi everyone

Mamabug ~ Enjoy your time with family!

Boudreaux ~ Hope you (and your toe) are feeling better! It's tough not being able to be as active as we would like to be.

Seasha ~ You certainly did have an active week!

I had a good week and made my exercise goals. Very grateful for the abilities that I have.

Has anyone else found that intense focus and concentration can help with some of your most difficult physical movements?

I've been having some success with being able to perform some arm and leg movements (that normally I haven't been able to do) with total focus and concentration.

These aren't huge accomplishments, but still has me interested in the mind-body connection.

In any case, my goals:

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + In-chair ab crunches 2X a day @ 10 crunches each time + Leg exercises

5X a Week: Walk with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time

Good energy and perseverance to all.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Well this could have been a better week for exercise. Heavy rain, wind storm damage, (tree across driveway) all limited my activity at gym somewhat but allowed for different kinds of movement.

But... in an average week:

Elliptical: 3 miles with resistance, 1/2 fwd, 1/2 bkd (maybe 3900 steps/strides? 32 minutes?)

Ladder/stepper: 8 minutes or 35 flights of stairs?

Treadmill: .2 of a mile (unlike above, I must pick up "drop-foot"), slow pace using side bars (8 minutes?)

60 minutes of upper body exercises / 60 minutes lower body exercises (often pyramid sets) These exercises can be adversely effected by my poor right hand grip.

Pool: Walking with band (against resistance) and stretching/balance. Hot Tub whirlpool ! ! !

Daily: 25 minutes of stretching using a 4 foot pole 7 days a week

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Has anyone else found that intense focus and concentration can help with some of your most difficult physical movements?

I've been having some success with being able to perform some arm and leg movements (that normally I haven't been able to do) with total focus and concentration.

These aren't huge accomplishments, but still has me interested in the mind-body connection.

Yes! I mentioned in other threads that this is true and can be strengthened by closing your eyes (when feasible). To some minor degree I think a habit may be possible but any distraction.... poof! Gone...

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post

Elliptical: 3 miles with resistance, 1/2 fwd, 1/2 bkd (maybe 3900 steps/strides? 32 minutes?)

Ladder/stepper: 8 minutes or 35 flights of stairs?

Treadmill: .2 of a mile (unlike above, I must pick up "drop-foot"), slow pace using side bars (8 minutes?)

60 minutes of upper body exercises / 60 minutes lower body exercises (often pyramid sets) These exercises can be adversely effected by my poor right hand grip.

Pool: Walking with band (against resistance) and stretching/balance. Hot Tub whirlpool ! ! !

Daily: 25 minutes of stretching using a 4 foot pole 7 days a week
            Jer ~ Love the well balanced variety of exercises in your program.

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            Yes! I mentioned in other threads that this is true and can be strengthened by closing your eyes (when feasible). To some minor degree I think a habit may be possible but any distraction.... poof! Gone...
            Yes, I know that you've been working on this too.

I'm practicing mind focus with eyes and ears open, learning to concentrate with distractions, which are often difficult to avoid (for example - the phone ringing, or my care-helper sister talking).
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Has anyone else found that intense focus and concentration can help with some of your most difficult physical movements
              Yes, I notice this and my years of doing yoga helps with this! Maintaining focus and concentration on movements as well as deep breathing through the movements. (Outward movement= slowly breath out; inward movement = slowly breath in)

I have been able to "mostly" keep up with my able bodied friends in class with this technique. I do use a chair at times when my balance gets wobbly, but I can do standing poses for longer periods using concentration. I still have to keep my eyes open, but concentrate on a picture on the wall.

So glad this has been helping you, KoKo
              And Jer - what an impressive workout!

Comment

Absolutely.

I can get into my more challenging yoga poses only when focused. I think about my form and run through it over and over in my head. More often than not I have to clear my mind of all the chatter before I知 happy with where I am.

Same thing with running. I have to focus on my form or I start to hurt or breathing becomes harder.

I知 consistently amazed at what I accomplish when I focus just because of how I wanted to quit along the way. Focus on foot placement.....focus on posture...

The last two runs I致e made were for 6 miles each. I wanted to quit every quarter mile.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  Yes, I notice this and my years of doing yoga helps with this! Maintaining focus and concentration on movements as well as deep breathing through the movements. (Outward movement= slowly breath out; inward movement = slowly breath in)
                  Thanks for the breathing reminder, Seasha.

Now that I think of it, I tend to hold my breath while focusing on the move.

I might have a little more success now, while using the breathing technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                    Absolutely.

I can get into my more challenging yoga poses only when focused. I think about my form and run through it over and over in my head. More often than not I have to clear my mind of all the chatter before I知 happy with where I am.

Same thing with running. I have to focus on my form or I start to hurt or breathing becomes harder.

I知 consistently amazed at what I accomplish when I focus just because of how I wanted to quit along the way. Focus on foot placement.....focus on posture...

The last two runs I致e made were for 6 miles each. I wanted to quit every quarter mile.
                    Thanks Boudreaux, for sharing your experience with focus and physical movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                      I believe that focus is also important for those of us with MS with walking problems. I have found these last few years that I really have to focus on foot and body placement as well as posture. As a result, I no longer fall often as I used to. In fact, hardly at all!

Gone are the days when I could be carefree with my movements, but I'm more deliberate and thus, feel more safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                        I believe that focus is also important for those of us with MS with walking problems. I have found these last few years that I really have to focus on foot and body placement as well as posture.
                        Same here, Seasha.

To be honest, I really need to focus, to some degree, on everything that I do.

Otherwise, (without focus) I flop when I sit down, have a lead bottom when I try to get up, stumble when I walk, tip over when I reach, and drop or spill things that I pick up or put down.

Comment

Same here, Seasha.

To be honest, I really need to focus, to some degree, on everything that I do.

Otherwise, (without focus) I flop when I sit down, have a lead bottom when I try to get up, stumble when I walk, tip over when I reach, and drop or spill things that I pick up or put down.
                          I hear you! Same here

Comment

Working...
                          X