MS makes the radar in debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS makes the radar in debate

This thread is not intended to be a political discussion. I didn’t even get a chance to watch the whole debate.

But one of the candidates mentioned MS multiple times when discussing health care. It is the first time I have ever heard it mentioned on the national stage. The sob stories are usually about cancer or maybe diabetes.

It was a good feeling that this is recognized for being the serious life changing disease that it is. Maybe more powerful figures will start bringing it up. Maybe soon donating to MS causes will be as cool as cancer has been. Just maybe.

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
    This thread is not intended to be a political discussion. I didn’t even get a chance to watch the whole debate.

But one of the candidates mentioned MS multiple times when discussing health care. It is the first time I have ever heard it mentioned on the national stage. The sob stories are usually about cancer or maybe diabetes.

It was a good feeling that this is recognized for being the serious life changing disease that it is. Maybe more powerful figures will start bringing it up. Maybe soon donating to MS causes will be as cool as cancer has been. Just maybe.
    That's terrific! More government dollars will be going towards MS because a higher number of persons are now being recognized as having MS. The new numbers got us catapulted into the "next division" of how many government dollars can be used toward MS research. I don't know if more people have MS or if more people are being diagnosed properly. Maybe that's why it was recognized/mentioned last night?
    Tawanda

Comment

Aside from the rise in diagnosis numbers Tawanda mentioned, I think MS is getting noticed more in the healthcare debate due to cost of DMTs and the overall lifetime medical and care costs.

I was getting my infusion this week and was looking thru an MS mag from WebMD - it said the lifetime cost for MS patients is $4.1 million in the US😱. That would be hospital, therapy, meds, medical tests and visits, caregivers, etc ...
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
        Aside from the rise in diagnosis numbers Tawanda mentioned, I think MS is getting noticed more in the healthcare debate due to cost of DMTs and the overall lifetime medical and care costs.

I was getting my infusion this week and was looking thru an MS mag from WebMD - it said the lifetime cost for MS patients is $4.1 million in the US😱. That would be hospital, therapy, meds, medical tests and visits, caregivers, etc ...
        4.1 million per patient? If so I've gt some ends to spend...
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          Wow! I had no idea.

Quite an incredible statistic.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
            4.1 million per patient? If so I've gt some ends to spend...
            Lol! Me too!
            Tawanda

Comment

I’ve been around long enough to know when I’m (as an MS patient) being used for political ends and just want to shake them all off. It’s beyond disgusting to me how politicians use people who they think are less than, “special”, downtrodden and, most importantly, willing to be used. I’ve seen it in action, in person. You need a shower when you leave.

Call me cynical. Politicking 👎🏻👎🏻

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                I’ve been around long enough to know when I’m (as an MS patient) being used for political ends and just want to shake them all off. It’s beyond disgusting to me how politicians use people who they think are less than, “special”, downtrodden and, most importantly, willing to be used. I’ve seen it in action, in person. You need a shower when you leave.

Call me cynical. Politicking 👎🏻👎🏻
                Excellent point.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                X