Shingrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingrix

Wondering if anyone is getting the Shingrix vaccine while taking any of the MS treatments. This version of the vaccine is inactivated which differs from the Zoster vaccine which is a live attenuated version.

I had the shots last summer. It is over 90% effective for preventing shingles, something I had 40 years ago, and I had no desire to repeat the experience. Each shot (two are required) was $160 on Medicare. There is an age requirement. I had no problem, other than a sore shoulder, so choose your nondominant hand. It was recommended by my neurologist

Comment

shingrix

Do you have to stop taking MS medications? I had to stop taking Tecfidera to get the Zoster vaccine. Have an appointment in 2 weeks with my neurologist so I will discuss this. I think it also has to be 5 years if you had the Zoster vaccine as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rsinger View Post
        Do you have to stop taking MS medications? I had to stop taking Tecfidera to get the Zoster vaccine. Have an appointment in 2 weeks with my neurologist so I will discuss this. I think it also has to be 5 years if you had the Zoster vaccine as well.
        No, I didn't. I'm on Tysabri, and I just made sure I had my shot midway between infusions. Since I'm on an EID schedule every 49 days, I didn't have any problem. The 2nd shot is anywhere between 2-6 months after the 1st.

Comment

I've had 3 bouts of shingles and they suck. I hope to never experience them again. That said, I am.also cautious about new treatments. There's a huge difference between the leading and the bleeding edge.

Zinbryta is the perfect example of something I want to avoid. I'm not sure when I will get the shingrix vaccine, but it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
            I've had 3 bouts of shingles and they suck. I hope to never experience them again. That said, I am.also cautious about new treatments. There's a huge difference between the leading and the bleeding edge.

Zinbryta is the perfect example of something I want to avoid. I'm not sure when I will get the shingrix vaccine, but it will happen.
            Go for it Marco! Other than a sore arm for 48 hours, it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Comment

I am on Ocrevus and I had the shingrix vac. I had to take it a few months before I had my infusion.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

I am on Rituximab. They gave me my first Shingrix vaccine 4 weeks before my first ever dose of Rituxin. I was supposed to get my second vaccine 2-4 weeks before dose #3 of Rituxin (6months later) but there was such an incredible shortage that we could not locate a dose.

I finally received the 2nd Shingrix vaccine a whole year after the first one was given! My first Shingrix went well, other than a sore arm for a couple of days. My second one, done last Monday, was awful. I had aches, chills, fevers, a rash, terrible headaches and an arm that felt like Mike Tyson had punched me as hard as he could. I could not move my arm or shoulder for a full week. Despite this, I would do it again. I had shingles three times last year including a bout in my mouth on my upper palate! Talk about terrible. The timing of the vaccine worked out well since I am due for dose #5 and #6 of Rituxin in four weeks and 6 weeks respectively. Hopefully, I have an immune response despite my lack of B cells.

Comment

Ok, I usually power through things like this but vaccine 2 is a bit rougher. Just plan to take it easy, but don't worry about it too much. Mild headache, soreness, and chills is what I'm feeling. And a deep craving for chicken soup and crackers
                  All the best, ~G

Comment

Working...
                  X