• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise check in 10/10/2019

4 checked in this last week.

1 met goal.
    3 made partial goals. Yay for KoKo!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made both goals

Thurs - 2477 steps; Silver Sneakers Classic
    Fri - 2101 steps; Chair Yoga, Strong Seniors
    Sat - 1238 steps;
    Sun - 2326 steps;
    Mon - 1689 steps; PT
    Tues - 2956 steps; Silver Sneakers Classic
    Wed - 1247 steps; Chair Yoga, Strong Seniors

Total steps = 14.034 steps. Average: 2005 steps per day
    Total exercise = 7x

Goals:
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or Senior Center (chair yoga and strong seniors), PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
    3. Include some strength training on some of my exercise days (could be PT).
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Thurs - 2477 steps; Silver Sneakers Classic
      Fri - 2101 steps; Chair Yoga, Strong Seniors
      Sat - 1238 steps;
      Sun - 2326 steps;
      Mon - 1689 steps; PT
      Tues - 2956 steps; Silver Sneakers Classic
      Wed - 1247 steps; Chair Yoga, Strong Seniors

Total steps = 14.034 steps. Average: 2005 steps per day
      Total exercise = 7x

Goals:
      1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
      2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or Senior Center (chair yoga and strong seniors), PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
      3. Include some strength training on some of my exercise days (could be PT).

Mamabug,

I check in once an a while to see what is going on but never fully understand. So....

Mostly the check-ins contain "steps," yet the S.Sneakers isn't all steps, so what are you measuring? Steps taken only during a class?

How do you / others measure "steps"? Fitbit or iwatch, PED?

Is a step equal to a "stride" (as measured on an elliptical machine?)

Does everyone put a device on in AM and off in PM to get their daily total? Or is on only during a set "gym" time?

"4 or 7 times" out 7 days? How much actual time daily? 30, 60, 90 minutes, more?

Just curious, Jer

Comment

Nice work Mamabug. Looks like you're back on track.

Hello Jer- You set your goals and you decide how you measure and let everyone know how you did. There are no rules. Just set some goals, something doable that might push you a little bit and try to accomplish them. Let us know how you did and we'll let you know how we did.

I used to use a fitbit to track daily steps and had a daily step goal. I've changed my goals since and simply put checks in the box.

My goals for this week were:
        2 nights of Jiu Jitsu......Only made 1
        3 3 mile runs.....goose egg
        3 weight training sessions....none

This last week I continue to prioritize work and have been meeting some family obligations during my normal "training" time. I usually win the day in the mornings with a gym session but I've been getting to the shop early in an effort to get things done.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I congratulate you all. I know I not here to compare myself to anyone, but geez, you are all out of my league by far! I can only do what I can, but I still get somewhat discouraged.

Anyway, I babysat 2 mornings, went to PT and got a new and hard exercise to do. In fact, he told me to wait 48 hours before I try it again. No duh - I could hardly move the next day.

Went out to work in the garden once.

Keep up the challenge all!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Made Goals

Hi everyone

Mamabug~ Terrific job on your goals!

Boudreaux~ You're a busy guy! I'm sure you are looking forward to having more exercise time, when your other responsibilities slow down.

Seasha~ You are active and moving the best you can!

Welcome aboard Jer!

I made goals - substituting more leg work for fewer ab crunches this week. I'll get back to my usual ab crunch goal next week, along with the increase in leg exercises. Will give it my best!

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + In-chair ab crunches, 2X a day @ 10 crunches each time + Leg exercises

5X a Week: Walk with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each time

Good energy, perseverance, and peace of mind to all.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
              Mamabug,

I check in once an a while to see what is going on but never fully understand. So....

Mostly the check-ins contain "steps," yet the S.Sneakers isn't all steps, so what are you measuring? Steps taken only during a class?

How do you / others measure "steps"? Fitbit or iwatch, PED?

Is a step equal to a "stride" (as measured on an elliptical machine?)

Does everyone put a device on in AM and off in PM to get their daily total? Or is on only during a set "gym" time?

"4 or 7 times" out 7 days? How much actual time daily? 30, 60, 90 minutes, more?

Just curious, Jer
              If you join us, you can set your own goals, and decide your own method to measure them. You don't need to do steps at all. You don't need to use a tracker. You could swim, or go on a bike ride, or lift weights, or use a Wii Fit, or walk for 10 minutes a day or whatever.
              Seasha counts babysitting and gardening, because those are movement and exercise too. She's more creative in setting goals than I am.
              Beaudreaux is way more active than I am.
              Koko records her stretches and exercises and 30 minute walks. I don't think she uses a tracker.
              It's whatever works for you.

What I do is wear my tracker. I use a Garmin. I wear it all the time. Mine doesn't have a GPS, so it actually doesn't measure footsteps; it measures arm movements ( my left arm). I also attend some exercise classes. I used to exercise at home with YouTube videos, but I'd rather get out of the house and be with people.

- When I'm at Silver Sneakers, it picks up many of my movements; probably not all. I have to modify what the instructor does. Some exercises are seated; some are standing. I only stand for 10-15 minutes and exercise from a chair the rest of the time. Class members are all at varying abilities.
              - When I ride the recumbent bike, I rest my hands in my lap as I pedal. My arm moves up and down as my leg pedals, so it records those as steps.
              - When I do Chair Yoga, and Strong Seniors at Grand Central senior center, there aren't many arm movements, so it doesn't record much.
              - When I say I did PT, this is just a few types of leg lift exercises that I got from a physical therapist a couple of years ago. I place a weight on my leg during lifts to build strength. No steps on my tracker.

Because I wear it 24/7, it records footsteps when I go out to run errands, or participate in activities. Or even every time I get up to go to the bathroom at night. I don't go on "walks". I can only walk a block or two at a time. My steps are just a cumulation of my daily activities. I walk with a cane when I leave the house. It helps me on uneven ground or going down curbs, etc. I don't use it at home.

That's just how I do it. But you can choose any exercise you want. You decide how to measure your success. You decide if you made your goal. We're different that way too. Some of us "fudge" if we feel good about our week, or if we had a good reason for being unable to exercise. But it's not really "fudging", because we each know what makes sense for us.

We don't have a lot of rules. We believe in "flexible reporting". We're mostly here to encourage each other to "move", in whatever way works for you.
              Last edited by Mamabug; 10-11-2019, 12:00 AM.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                Koko records her stretches and exercises and 30 minute walks. I don't think she uses a tracker.
                Mamabug

I don't use a tracker or count steps. I walk in slow motion, and need to pause several times while walking.

My main objective is to be up on my feet for 30 min, taking steps (to the best of my ability with support of the rollator), in order to maintain leg strength and balance.

And, of course, there are many benefits for several other body systems - digestive, cardio-vascular, respiratory, bone strength, etc.
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I made my goal all but one day this week. Heavy rain ☔️ stopped me from walking one day. So yesterday and today I’ve walked a little extra to make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                    I made my goal all but one day this week. Heavy rain ☔️ stopped me from walking one day. So yesterday and today I’ve walked a little extra to make up for it.
                    Way to go, MMMMS!

PS - I walk around in circles inside my apartment (livingroom, kitchen, bedroom- repeat).

Comment

Thank you Mamabug, Boudreaux, Seasha, everyone, for a better idea of steps etc. The threads informal approach is welcoming.

I'll take a shot at chiming in with my efforts, not remembering if I ever set concrete goals, even pre dx.

I have to be honest. It's really a matter of maintenance with me.

Trying to anticipate the next potential loss... and the attempt to forestall it.

I'll be upbeat regardless. Our efforts alone are success.

Jer

Comment

Welcome MMMMS and Jer! Glad to have you on board
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                          Thank you Mamabug, Boudreaux, Seasha, everyone, for a better idea of steps etc. The threads informal approach is welcoming.

I'll take a shot at chiming in with my efforts, not remembering if I ever set concrete goals, even pre dx.

I have to be honest. It's really a matter of maintenance with me.

Trying to anticipate the next potential loss... and the attempt to forestall it.

I'll be upbeat regardless. Our efforts alone are success.

Jer
                          Great!

You already do your pool walking with your personal trainer. I encourage you to set a goal related to what you're working on there.

I encourage people to set S.M.A.R.T. goals.

S: Specific (set a specific goal, not a vague one)
                          M: Measurable (something with numbers, probably. How frequently, how many minutes, how far, how many reps, etc. Just pick one, or more, of these.)
                          A: Attainable a goal that you can accomplish. Not too hard.)
                          R: Relevant (does it contribute to your overall goal. In your case, maintenance and attempting to forestall the next loss)
                          T: Time-bound (when will you get it done. Our goals are for a week. In future weeks, you can keep the same goal, or change it.)
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Or, if that's too complicated, ignore it and do your own thing. Lol. Like I said, no rules.
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

It so good to see some more activity around this topic. Keep it going. Nice work everyone.
                              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X