Made a pie... thought I'd die.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a pie... thought I'd die.

Have you ever done some little chore that you've done a thousand times before without any problems only to find it utterly wore you down?

I haven't made a pie in a long time, but felt like getting busy today. I cheated by buying apples that were already cut and peeled. So that saved me the worst part of the process. But making the crust and rolling it nearly killed me. I've felt lousy all day after making it. I assume this is weakness and fatigue kicking me around.

I used to be able to roll these out a lot easier. Of course, this is the first one I've made since I turned 69! You always think you can do what you used to do.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi marti

Made a pie... thought I'd die. - Nice rhyme!

Originally posted by marti View Post
    Have you ever done some little chore that you've done a thousand times before without any problems only to find it utterly wore you down?

I haven't made a pie in a long time, but felt like getting busy today. I cheated by buying apples that were already cut and peeled. So that saved me the worst part of the process. But making the crust and rolling it nearly killed me. I've felt lousy all day after making it. I assume this is weakness and fatigue kicking me around.

I used to be able to roll these out a lot easier. Of course, this is the first one I've made since I turned 69! You always think you can do what you used to do.
    Do you think that the oven heat could have warmed you up too?

Cooking something on the stove, even just boiling a couple of eggs, can cause weakness for me, due to heat intolerance.

Did you get to eat some of your pie? Apple pie sounds good to me!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I can't say that the pie was "good". It was okay. I gave it to my son. We turned the whole thing into a cobbler by pouring it into a tupperware box.
      Marti

Comment

Hello marty, When I read your title I thought your pie tasted terrible
        I'm sorry you had a tough time making the crust. Did your arms get fatigue or just fatigue all over. Are you able to do any arm and leg exercises during the day to strengthen the muscles?

I can certainly relate. It's my legs that get weak and knees start bending and I have awful sensations it them. I rode my stationary bike this morning that also works my arms. I haven't been able to ride it in a long time.

You have a great comfort food pie to enjoy for all your work.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
          Hello marty, When I read your title I thought your pie tasted terrible
          I'm sorry you had a tough time making the crust. Did your arms get fatigue or just fatigue all over. Are you able to do any arm and leg exercises during the day to strengthen the muscles?

I can certainly relate. It's my legs that get weak and knees start bending and I have awful sensations it them. I rode my stationary bike this morning that also works my arms. I haven't been able to ride it in a long time.

You have a great comfort food pie to enjoy for all your work.

Part of the problem is that I am so short that I have a hard time reaching the counters. All that rolling was tiring. And yes, it was hot in the kitchen.

I ended up giving all but one piece to my son who gave it to his girlfriend. A little ice cream and it will be okay.
          Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
            Part of the problem is that I am so short that I have a hard time reaching the counters. All that rolling was tiring. And yes, it was hot in the kitchen.
            I sit for tasks like this. I used to bring a cutting board to the table. We've now purchased a kitchen stool with a back. I bring it up next to the pull out bread board (I know - we have an old fashioned kitchen) and sit. I'm unable to stand long without getting fatigued.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I make a mean strawberry/rhubarb pie. I cheat and buy the crust premade. I use a scooter in the house so I'am sitting, I would never make it on my feet cutting up the rhubarb.

I should try to make a apple pie. My daughter works at a orchard and keeps me stocked up with apples in the fall. My freezer is actually filled with fruit. Strawberries in the spring, blue berries and cherries mid summer and apples in the fall.

Comment

making a pie

I make really good pies and went to preformed or premade crusts a long time ago. Recently I thought I would make a Lemon meringue pie. It took forever and the kitchen got hot from the stove
                and then my arms shook and the lemon mixture went all over the place. however I recooped the mixture and it tasted good however the meringue went flat and I was exhausted by the whole process so next time it will be a cherry pie or something not liquidy. Live and learn and will adjust to these changes. I need to start adjusting to some things that are premade and not make everything so difficult. I have MS and now arthritis so changing things to make life run smoother.
                I need to live smarter and I will.

Comment

Originally posted by SummerTobin View Post
                  I make really good pies and went to preformed or premade crusts a long time ago. Recently I thought I would make a Lemon meringue pie. It took forever and the kitchen got hot from the stove
                  and then my arms shook and the lemon mixture went all over the place. however I recooped the mixture and it tasted good however the meringue went flat and I was exhausted by the whole process so next time it will be a cherry pie or something not liquidy. Live and learn and will adjust to these changes. I need to start adjusting to some things that are premade and not make everything so difficult. I have MS and now arthritis so changing things to make life run smoother.
                  I need to live smarter and I will.

Completely understand. I used to be able to whip them out in no time. Now it's a total chore and not worth it in the end.
                  Marti

Comment

I usually give myself 2 days for making one pie.

One day for the filling which takes a few times to sit down before I finish the filling.
                    I refrigerate it and next day make the crust and bake.
                    I'm doing this right now for Thanksgiving pies, which I freeze after baking and cooling.

I thaw out the day before it's served. This method works well, as my familty prefers room temp pies anyway.
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I know it's not funny, but this thread made me laugh! My kids just won't let me live down a pie I made way back when. I'd had problems for months, but the fall weather was beautiful, and I had a craving for green-tomato mincemeat pie. I hadn't had any since my grandmother developed dementia years before, so I found a simple recipe online and decided to make it.

The kids were still in school, so they willingly spent a couple hours helping me cut up and cook the ingredients, which we then discovered were intended to make FOUR pies. We cheated and used pre-made pie crusts. They cooked beautifully, we eagerly sliced one and handed out plates. And then discovered that we'd completely forgotten all the sugar. I have never in my life tasted anything that sour, and the kids promptly named it "pickle pie".

Comment

Originally posted by NoraS View Post
                        I know it's not funny, but this thread made me laugh! My kids just won't let me live down a pie I made way back when. I'd had problems for months, but the fall weather was beautiful, and I had a craving for green-tomato mincemeat pie. I hadn't had any since my grandmother developed dementia years before, so I found a simple recipe online and decided to make it.

The kids were still in school, so they willingly spent a couple hours helping me cut up and cook the ingredients, which we then discovered were intended to make FOUR pies. We cheated and used pre-made pie crusts. They cooked beautifully, we eagerly sliced one and handed out plates. And then discovered that we'd completely forgotten all the sugar. I have never in my life tasted anything that sour, and the kids promptly named it "pickle pie".
                        This is way too funny! Did you all eat it with "relish"?

When I was a teenager, I made my first pie for my dad. He had a look of horror after the first bite and I was crushed. I glanced over at the counter where all the ingredients still sat and realized I had used black pepper instead of cinnamon! oy
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

That's great, Seasha! I love thinking back on all the failures the kids and I made. It was a lot of fun just being together, and we have some wonderful memories.

Comment

Working...
                          X