Humidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humidity

How quickly does humidity change your ability? Has it changed over time?

When I was first diagnosed heat and humidity bothered me. But it seems worse now. Just one day of humidity, even without high heat, is enough to leave me a wet noodle. I wake up knowing the humidity is up.

I’m wondering if others have experienced the same change. Maybe it’s part age, too?

Heat and humidity are certainly not my friends! I am also very intolerant of changes to both and it has been steadily getting worse over the years. Unfortunately I also have hyperthyroidism so I thought that may influence my heat/humidity intolerance however my endocrinologist checked my labs and my meds are keeping my thyroid in check. He believes my heat/humidity issues are because of the MS and my neurologist agrees.

I hadn't thought about age having an influence but now that you mentioned it, maybe that is a factor as well? It is increasingly becoming more difficult to figure out what all I have going on as I age as I seem to be having more and more health issues. I am amazed when I look at my calendar and see all of the various medical appointments that I have scheduled.

I do know that I am tired of the summer heat and can't wait for some cool weather!

Comment

Hello MMMMS

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
      Humidity affects my ability to move around, in a very short time.

As the MS has progressed, my heat and humidity intolerance has increased.

I have also learned that when the temp and humidity aren't especially high, and I have that 'wet noodle' feeling, to check the dew point.

When the dew point is above 60, I become weaker.

I've really enjoyed the cooler temps and lower humidity/dew point lately, and have been functioning much better!

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

MMMMS,

I'm near 70 and do not think age plays as large a part regarding intolerance to heat / humidity.

I remember my parents migrating to FL, as many other north easterners do. It was '82 and they may have commented a couple of times about h / h the first year or so, but they lived the next 20 plus without any voiced problems (excepting hurricane potential).

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Hello MMMMSAs the MS has progressed, my heat and humidity intolerance has increased.

KoKo it once again proves that this disease is an enigma. We are both PPMS yet exactly the opposite at this point. The saga continues!

I've really enjoyed the cooler temps and lower humidity/dew point lately, and have been functioning much better!

... and I feel just a bit worse.

Comment

When I was first diagnosed heat and humidity bothered me. But it seems worse now. Just one day of humidity, even without high heat, is enough to leave me a wet noodle. I wake up knowing the humidity is up.

I’m wondering if others have experienced the same change. Maybe it’s part age, too?
          I'm 57. I don't like the heat, and I like the humidity even less. But they don't seem to affect my MS or its symptoms.

The one exception to this (maybe it's heat and humidity?) is in a swimming pool. After I get out, I'm just totally drained. Usually to the point that I am unable to walk out of the building and to the car without the assistance of my husband on one side and my cane on the other. That has definitely become worse as I've aged.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
            KoKo it once again proves that this disease is an enigma. We are both PPMS yet exactly the opposite at this point.
            Hello Jer

I am both heat and cold intolerant. So we're not exactly opposite - it's just that you are not heat sensitive.

This info is from Multiple Sclerosis Trust:

People with MS can be sensitive to extremes of temperature, and find that heat or cold makes their MS symptoms worsen.

Some people can find they experience problems with both extremes of temperature. This can be hard to explain to people around you, as different symptoms may be affected by heat and cold. You may find you need to monitor the temperature and situation around you and take steps to keep yourself at a comfortable temperature.

What causes temperature sensitivity in MS?

Temperature sensitivity could be caused a number of ways. Extremes of heat and cold may affect the speed at which nerve impulses can travel along your nerves, particularly where there has been demyelination or nerve damage.

Alternatively, MS may have caused a lesion in the part of the brain that controls or responds to body temperature. Your brain may not trigger sweating or shivering responses that keep your body at the best temperature for comfort.

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/temperaturesensitivity

MMMS ~ Hopefully we haven't veered too far off from your humidity question.

Take Care
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I have to research (Google &#129315 dew point. I hear the weather forecasters talking about it, but have no idea how it’s measured or how it differs from relative humidity.

Hello MMMMS

Humidity affects my ability to move around, in a very short time.

As the MS has progressed, my heat and humidity intolerance has increased.

I have also learned that when the temp and humidity aren't especially high, and I have that 'wet noodle' feeling, to check the dew point.

When the dew point is above 60, I become weaker.

Take Care

Comment

I have to research (Google &#129315 dew point. I hear the weather forecasters talking about it, but have no idea how it’s measured or how it differs from relative humidity.
                MMMMS

This article, from a meteorologist who has MS:

The influence of dew-point temperature on multiple sclerosis symptoms

(The measurements are in Celsius, rather than Fahrenheit, so you'll need to google a conversion table.)

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.co...1256/wea.91.04

Take Care

Comment

I took a swim exercise class ten years ago, and I could barely walk when I got out of the pool.
                  It completely drained me. I would have to sit for about 10 to 15 minutes and than take a cool shower.

The humidity effects me. I know it the minute I get up in the morning. The heat just a little bit, as long as I'm not in direct sun.

Comment

I've noticed changes over the years but have never been sure if it's the progression of the disease or the fact that I'm aging. I do have to say that humidity's really only become a problem for me over the last couple years. Before that, it had to be hot AND humid, and I always blamed it on the heat.

Comment

Working...
                    X