The night time pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The night time pain

I wonder why the worst pains seem to come at night. It's hard enough to get to sleep without the random weirdness coming on at bedtime.

Just a thought.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Marti,

Not sure what type of pain and when. Is it when you go to bed? If you actually lay in bed during the day, do you get the same pain? If so, could be an issue with that part of the body or maybe a different mattress needed.

If only the pain at night, maybe it is because that is when we slow down, it is quiet, and we are more in tune with our bodies.

If general pain at night, it could be that it is from activity during the day. Or arthritis pain can worsen when temperature cools.

Sorry not much help. Maybe if you describe the pain and what brings it on, some people will have insight.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

This could be a large part of the reason it is difficult for you to sleep. It’s a shame pain relief is no longer available. Maybe someday it will be available again.

There is Lyrics and gabapentin, which might help if the pain is MS pain. If the pain is muscular skeletal like arthritis things like Celebrex can help.

Sorry if I am always looking to pharmaceutical solutions. I come from a part of the country where more things are available. They help. Why suffer if you don’t have to. Life is too short.

Comment

My solution may not rid you of bad pain, but it might take some of the edge off. I used a Turmeric supplement to help with pain. 500 - 2000 mg is a suggested dose.

I dealt with a horrible injection / ingrown toenail issue for about 3 months. Sometimes the toe pain was so bad that I couldn't wear shoes. Wearing shoes and night-time were the times that the pain was most likely to bother me. I took two Turmeric capsules, which was about 3500 mg, but I don't think high doses are recommended long-term. I didn't need to supplement that with Advil or Tylenol or anything; it worked for me. Sometimes one was enough.

I recommend looking for a brand that includes black pepper because it helps with absorption. Let me know if you'd like some recommendations of brand names.

Probiotics, magnesium, Omega 3 and ginger are some additional supplement suggestions.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I don't know what kind of pain you have, but I've had pretty good success with a combination of hot water bottles and a cream like IcyHot. The cream is only used for the worst pain that won't let me sleep. The hot water bottle is used every night. I generally put it on my lower back but occasionally between my thighs. I've discovered that when I skip a night of this, my daytime pain is much worse.

Comment

Working...
          X