• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise check in 9/19/2019

3 checked in this last week.

1 made modified goal.
    1 made partial goals.
    3 others commented on a thread that I merged with this one. I'm still not sure if these two threads were meant to be one.

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Made goals!

Thurs - 2630 steps; Silver Sneakers
    Fri - 1579 steps; Chair Yoga
    Sat - 2210 steps; (Attended a church camping retreat)
    Sun - 1837 steps; (Attended a church camping retreat)
    Mon - 1812 steps; PT
    Tues - 3622 steps; PT, Silver Sneakers (and a few more errands than usual)
    Wed - 3052 steps; Chair yoga, Recumbent bike

Total steps = 16,742 steps. Average: 2392 steps per day
    Total exercise = 6x

I met former goals; more than met modified goals.

Regarding last week's new things:

- I won't do Slow Flow Yoga again. Too challenging for me.
    - Senior Center Chair yoga. I might continue to do that once or twice a week. It's offered M,W,F. Just with a video, but it's good for me to get out of the house. This week, I followed it up by going to the rec center and riding recumbent bike. It seemed less likely that I'd get out a second time to exercise, but since I was already out, and chair yoga doesn't drain energy, it worked to do both back-to-back. I might try that again sometime.

Goals:
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or YMCA, PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
    3. Include some strength training on some of my exercise days (could be PT).
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Back from vacation and I know I missed checking in, but I can say that I got some exercise last week. Stayed with dh's family and the bedroom was on the 2nd floor. 9 steps up to landing, then 9 more steps. Did that about 3x/day and I could tell my legs felt stronger after a week.

Yesterday I managed to get out in my garden doing harvesting and much needed weeding for a couple hours!

I'll set my goal for next week for some kind of exercising at least 3 times.

Great job meeting your goal, Mamabug!
      Hope you all have a good week ahead
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Mamabug ~ Terrific job with your exercise goals!

Seasha ~ Stair stepping and gardening after your busy vacation is fantastic!

I've been meeting my goals (thankfully) with one modification - have downsized the ab crunches from 20 twice a day, to 10 ab crunches twice a day. I'd rather do 10 with proper form than force 20 sloppy ones, due to the repetitiveness causing motor fatigue.

I'm pretty slow during my 30 min walk, needing to take several pauses. I don't judge my walk by the number of steps, though. The main purpose is to maintain leg and trunk strength, and balance, by being upright and taking steps.

Goals:

Daily: Up on feet and light activity 5X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day + In-chair ab crunches, 2X a day

5X a Week: Walk with rollator 5X during the week @ 30 min each

Wishing everyone good energy and perseverance.
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Seasha -- Good job, often fitting your exercise in through the day's "normal" activities, such as stairs and gardening. I know that, for me, a busy day with errands or activities is the most effective way for me to get my daily steps in. (My tracker counts arm movements, not steps, because it doesn't have a GPS. But, when I rest my hand on my leg during recumbent bike, it counts those movements as steps.)

KoKo -- I like to see your exercise goals. It's interesting how we all set our own goals, according to what works for us. And, that we are able to modify goals as needed. I really think this is the only way that I can maintain an exercise regime.

I discovered that the Chair Yoga at the senior center that I recently substituted for the chair yoga at the Y that I used to attend is followed by Strong Seniors, with some weights. I tried that for the first time today, so I'll be able to add that to next week's report. It worked better for me to do the two activities at the same place. Last week, I went once from the senior center yoga directly to the rec center Recumbent bike. But, I don't think I'd have the motivation to do that very often. I might be more likely to do both activities at the senior center instead.

It feels a little odd to me to go to the senior center. I'm only 57. But, I remind myself that I've been doing Silver Sneakers exercise for a long time, and that's with seniors too. I guess, even though I'm not typical "retirement age", I am "retired" and my ability is only that of seniors (or less).
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            KoKo -- I like to see your exercise goals. It's interesting how we all set our own goals, according to what works for us. And, that we are able to modify goals as needed. I really think this is the only way that I can maintain an exercise regime.
            So true. We all have varying abilities.

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I discovered that the Chair Yoga at the senior center that I recently substituted for the chair yoga at the Y that I used to attend is followed by Strong Seniors, with some weights. I tried that for the first time today, so I'll be able to add that to next week's report. It worked better for me to do the two activities at the same place. Last week, I went once from the senior center yoga directly to the rec center Recumbent bike. But, I don't think I'd have the motivation to do that very often. I might be more likely to do both activities at the senior center instead.
            That makes sense to me, and probably saves a little time and energy by not getting in and out of the car to travel from senior center to rec center. Weights are good too.
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Nice job everybody. Glad to see you guys reporting back in.

My goals are:

2 nights of jiu jitsu..... made it
              3 days of weight training....nope
              3 3mile runs.....nope

I've been going in to work early which means sacrificing my gym time and working through my lunch which is when I would get my runs in. No biggie, I'll get back to it soon. Keep it going y'all.
              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                Nice job everybody. Glad to see you guys reporting back in.
                Thank you.

2 nights of jiu jitsu..... made it.
                Glad for you that you made your jiu jitsu goal!

I've been going in to work early which means sacrificing my gym time and working through my lunch which is when I would get my runs in. No biggie, I'll get back to it soon. Keep it going y'all.
                Boudreaux ~ your pleasant, supportive, easy going personality is most appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                  Boudreaux ~ your pleasant, supportive, easy going personality is most appreciated.
                  You're quite welcome.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                  X