Finally got some meds....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got some meds....

You might remember that my neuro was dug in and refused to let me have any Xanax or Klonapin. Well, I had my first appointment with my new primary last week and before we even talked about it she was writing me a script for Xanax. I was shocked. I didn't ask her for it.. she just knew I needed something.

She did not give me anything specific for sleep, but she did restart Zoloft. I had it before, but quit taking it early on. She feels it will help with anxiety and sleep. Also have very low Vit D so she ordered 50,000 IU of it. Also Zyrtec for allergies with really help me sleep. So I'm covered for now.

I believe the anxiety is at least partially related to the MS. There is no way I can control it other than using Xanax for panic attacks. She gave me 15 pills which should last me for a year. The anxiety is my worst enemy and the one thing I am most afraid of.

Well, just wanted to touch base with you all. Thanks for ALL the great messages, advice and suggestions. I'm sure I'll be leaning on you over and over again, as always!! Love you all!
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    You might remember that my neuro was dug in and refused to let me have any Xanax or Klonapin. Well, I had my first appointment with my new primary last week and before we even talked about it she was writing me a script for Xanax. I was shocked. I didn't ask her for it.. she just knew I needed something.

She did not give me anything specific for sleep, but she did restart Zoloft. I had it before, but quit taking it early on. She feels it will help with anxiety and sleep. Also have very low Vit D so she ordered 50,000 IU of it. Also Zyrtec for allergies with really help me sleep. So I'm covered for now.

I believe the anxiety is at least partially related to the MS. There is no way I can control it other than using Xanax for panic attacks. She gave me 15 pills which should last me for a year. The anxiety is my worst enemy and the one thing I am most afraid of.

Well, just wanted to touch base with you all. Thanks for ALL the great messages, advice and suggestions. I'm sure I'll be leaning on you over and over again, as always!! Love you all!
    Hi marti

So glad to know that you have been heard and helped by your new doctor, and now have the meds you need!

Keep us updated with how you're doing.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Good news, Marti! You've waited a long time for some help. It sounds like your new PCP is a keeper! Thanks for sharing the news
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Marty so happy for you. Glad your new Dr. gets it. My neuro prescribes Xanax for me. He does keep a check on how much and often I get it. I agree, I believe ms can cause anxiety.

I hope you feel better and can get some sleep.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

I'm glad that your physician is taking you seriously. Sometimes, we need a combination of traditional meds and natural "lifestyle" strategies to supplement meds.

I continue to recommend stress reduction and stress management techniques, such as deep breathing, meditation, going to your "happy place" in your mind, prayer / serenity prayer, listening to relaxing music, yoga or tai chi, getting some sunlight daily, drinking herbal tea (chamomile tea is one good option), spending time with loved ones, etc. Many of these can be done daily; some of them get easier with practice and regularity. For me, taking time and choosing to use these lifestyle strategies is intentional and is as important to me as taking my meds.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            I'm glad that your physician is taking you seriously. Sometimes, we need a combination of traditional meds and natural "lifestyle" strategies to supplement meds.

I continue to recommend stress reduction and stress management techniques, such as deep breathing, meditation, going to your "happy place" in your mind, prayer / serenity prayer, listening to relaxing music, yoga or tai chi, getting some sunlight daily, drinking herbal tea (chamomile tea is one good option), spending time with loved ones, etc. Many of these can be done daily; some of them get easier with practice and regularity. For me, taking time and choosing to use these lifestyle strategies is intentional and is as important to me as taking my meds.

Thanks Mama.... I just feel better knowing I have a bottle of "crutches" in the cabinet. I've tried all the usual therapies, supplements etc. They don't do me any good when I am in the throws of a full blown panic attack. I did join the local gym. My insurance pays for Silver Sneakers. I've only gone one time so far. Walked the treadmill for 10 minutes and got dizzy. It's still very hot here! It's a beginning I guess.
            Marti

Comment

... I did join the local gym. My insurance pays for Silver Sneakers. I've only gone one time so far. Walked the treadmill for 10 minutes and got dizzy. It's still very hot here! It's a beginning I guess.
              Yes; I'm glad you have your "crutch". It can take time and intentionality to be able to move beyond our crutches.

Joining the gym and spending 10 minutes on the treadmill is a good start 👍. I encourage you to continue, and to slowly build on that by gradually adding minutes and additional strategies. They can supplement your meds.

It's about baby steps. Silver Sneakers is a good beginning. 😁
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

A book that helped me when I first got diagnosed was called, “Tuesdays With Morry”. Before Morry died I watched him on Ted Koppel (if anyone remembers him). He was dying of ALS and used his time to help others suffering from illnesses.

One thing he said that really stood out for me was, “be kind to yourself”. I live by that.

If a doctor can help you be kind to yourself and have a higher quality of life then do it.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                  ... “be kind to yourself”. I live by that.
                  Thanks very much Palmtree. We all need this reminder.

Comment

Yes. And I forgot to mention a few important things. I have had two doctors and a counselor from NMSS tell me that sleep is very important with MS. Sleep deprivation puts a patient more at risk for flares. Along with that is important to keep your CNS in a depressed state. Keeping your central nervous system depressed is not the same thing as being emotionally depressed.

Whether that is achieved through meditation and alternative means or helped phamaceutically depends on the individual patient. Some people cannot sleep no matter how tired, relaxed and tranquil they are. The mechanism that helps a person transition into sleep just doesn’t work for some of us.

Insomnia is not a moral or psychological failing. It is a medical condition and needs to be treated as such.

Marti, I am happy for you and wish you luck. I hope the delicious sleep you are getting will make everything better. I sure think it will.🌈💤

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                      Yes. And I forgot to mention a few important things. I have had two doctors and a counselor from NMSS tell me that sleep is very important with MS. Sleep deprivation puts a patient more at risk for flares. Along with that is important to keep your CNS in a depressed state. Keeping your central nervous system depressed is not the same thing as being emotionally depressed.

Whether that is achieved through meditation and alternative means or helped phamaceutically depends on the individual patient. Some people cannot sleep no matter how tired, relaxed and tranquil they are. The mechanism that helps a person transition into sleep just doesn’t work for some of us.

Insomnia is not a moral or psychological failing. It is a medical condition and needs to be treated as such.

Marti, I am happy for you and wish you luck. I hope the delicious sleep you are getting will make everything better. I sure think it will.🌈💤

I love this post from you!! Thank you so much. I wish I could call my sleep "delicious" but it's still in the cooking stage. Some nights are washouts, others are a little better.
                      Marti

Comment

I love this post from you!! Thank you so much. I wish I could call my sleep "delicious" but it's still in the cooking stage. Some nights are washouts, others are a little better.
                        I loved the post too. And I'm glad to hear that some nights are beginning to be a little better.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I loved the post too. And I'm glad to hear that some nights are beginning to be a little better.

Thanks Mama. I'm not sure how I feel about the little bit of sleep I am getting. I still have to take meds to get any at all. I was hoping (and still am) that eventually I will get off the meds. But that might not happen. Now I'm more concerned with the panic attacks and the social anxiety. Just have to face it... there will always be something. I do miss the Klonapin. Worked so easily and so well without any side effects. Maybe my new PCP will get around to allowing that one too.
                          Marti

Comment

More things occurred to me that maybe will help. As a person who has suffered insomnia since I was ten years old, I have collected every bit of information and tried everything I can.

Benzodiazepines are not a substitute for doing things that get your body in a state of sleep.

It’s inportant to do all those things they talk about like relax, meditate, keep the room dark, keep your thoughts quiet..and most important, make sure your core body temperature drops.

For me that means taking a warm shower and having a bedtime ritual. Then, when I get in bed get a milkshake to help my core body temperature drop. Another thing that has helped a lot is a mattress cooler called a Chilipad. It is a small machine that runs water throughout your mattress pad in small plastic tubes. Google Chilipad and you will find it. It costs $499 but is worth every penny. If I feel chilled in the winter it will go up to 110 degrees F. It cools as low as 45 degrees F and any temperature in between. You have a remote so you are in control.

Then, take your benzodiazepine. Like I said before, I think Temazapam gives the best sleep. Klonopin is not usually something they give you long term. Sometimes they give Xanax. All these medications should be used with care. The withdrawals are very unpleasant. My doctor told me to go off these things very very slowly. The lowest dose you can start with is the best. Some people experience a reversal of their insomnia after a few nights and no longer need them. Others need them long term. This is part of the standard of care for MS so most doctors will help you. Most of all, guilt is against the law.

Again, I hope you can start getting some real deep sleep. You will feel so much better. There isn’t anything wrong with being addicted to sleep. So delicious...mmmm

Comment

Thanks Mama. I'm not sure how I feel about the little bit of sleep I am getting. I still have to take meds to get any at all. I was hoping (and still am) that eventually I will get off the meds. But that might not happen. Now I'm more concerned with the panic attacks and the social anxiety. Just have to face it... there will always be something. I do miss the Klonapin. Worked so easily and so well without any side effects. Maybe my new PCP will get around to allowing that one too.
                              I continue to hope, Marti, that you can some relief from your insomnia. Although I've become a big believer, (gradually, over the past 10 years or so) in natural and complementary treatments, I also recognize the importance of traditional meds and treatments and I utilize those when I need to.

I also continue to pat you on the back for the steps you took to join a gym and begin exercise. I encourage you to continue taking baby steps in those directions, too, while you also pursue meds. I'm hopeful that the combination will help the meds to become effective more quickly. Some of the stress reduction and stress management techniques take practice. It's often a good idea to "practice" them at a time when you are less stressed in order to begin to learn to feel comfortable using them. Then, maybe down the road, these strategies can become helpful tools to pull out of your "toolbox" to help manage stress and anxiety when it occurs.

Just choose one or two of the techniques below to "practice" and focus on, initially, and consider adding others as you are able.

I was able to go from nightly or almost nightly sleeping pills to nightly supplements and now I use them only occasionally, if I really can't sleep (maybe once a month). I truly believe that these sleep strategies and stress reducers have helped me fall asleep easily. I do all of them sometimes, and some of them daily.
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                              X