Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. Burt changing focus away from HSCT ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Burt changing focus away from HSCT ?

I just read an article in Multiple Sclerosis News that reported Dr. R. Burt of Northwestern University hospital is taking a break from doing 'clinical trials' on HSCT . I wonder what prompted this action . Since he pioneered this procedure . And he has performed this treatment on at least 10 patients per year since before the turn of the 21st century. I have been following the news reports on HSCT for about 8 years and I found some articles that reported clinical trials of this therapy since around 1997. I'd like to hear others on this topic !

Hi Jerry - You probably read this article, but for the benefit of others, here's what I found - https://ipscell.com/2019/08/northwes...immune-trials/

It seems like he is winding down transplants and taking a sabbatical to focus on publishing articles and a medical textbook, do educational talks and work on another scientific stem cell discovery that he wants to bring to clinical trial. It won't affect those who are currently receiving treatments.

One can only hope that his further discoveries will have even more promising results!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Hi Jerry - You probably read this article, but for the benefit of others, here's what I found - https://ipscell.com/2019/08/northwes...immune-trials/
      Interesting and thought provoking article.

Hopefully more will be revealed about the stem cell success in persons with MS.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My thoughts, exactly . Isn't anyone curious about the total number of HSCT patients treated by Dr. Burt's team and the exact number of male patients vs. female patients. And what about the outcomes? Mortality ? Ages ?
        Dr. Burt has treated these patients under the 'clinical trial' heading since the 1990's and I have never seen the answers to these questions . Am I silly or crazy or simply stupid?

Comment

Working...
        X