I’m supposed to know !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m supposed to know !?

I really need some advice here. I have been recently dx with MS with a major issue being my cognitive and fatigue problems. While I have had some issues in the past I have finally received the dx.
    I am struggling so greatly at work it’s really becoming a serious issue. I am considering looking into STD as I really cannot keep this up any longer. My problem is I am supposed to be HR and I try to read this info on my std program and I really don’t understand it at all.
    I am supposed to have these answers for my employees and I can’t even find them for myself ! I’m so frustrated.
    I started with a CIS in 2001 which was never treated. Many years later, a dx of Fibromyalgia, migraine, anxiety, etc... , and I finally find a neurologist to do proper testing. At this point I am not in a relapse but my symptoms are not intermittent anymore. And the cognitive function is my biggest concern.

I don’t really know who to talk to. I’m supposed to have the answers on benefits ... I’m afraid to call the insurance company and ask for help cause I don’t want my boss knowing just how bad I’m getting.
    I only recently started this job in April. I left my last position in HR / Accounting looking for change. I really thought I was just bored or stressed or something and that was what was causing some of my thinking problems, but that’s so not the case. Since starting here it’s all gotten worse. I can’t understand much of the new information I’m given. I can’t figure out the new stupid software. I have always been smart and I’m just lost now.

I realize now I was just barely hanging on at my last job.. I had used all my sick days by April 1st plus some vacation days for sick days ... I really thought I was just burned out but no. I’m just not functioning well anymore. And I don’t know what to do. If I’m not at work I’m resting to go back to work. Literally there is no time for social or fun and absolutely no energy or focus to do things like that. I don’t even know what to say.
    ok this was a rant. But any advice would be helpful.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles at work. One thing you should research before taking action regarding STD and/or leaving your position is the pre-existing limitation in your STD policy. Most STD plans require you to be at work for a period of time (often a year or more) before you can be covered for disability arising from a pre-existing condition. As such, you may not be covered for lost time if you only started five months ago in April.

I hope that your work gets easier and you find the assistance you need! Good luck!
    Attorney Jamie R. Hall's practice is focused on assisting individuals with claims and appeals for Social Security Disability and Long Term Disability benefits. He has assisted claimants nationwide, approximately half of whom are MS patients, from his Pennsylvania and Ohio locations. **No attorney/client relationship is created by this communication, and information provided herein is not a substitute for formal advisement.**

Comment

As an employee, when I was trying to understand my company's STD and LTD policies, I marked up copies of them with questions.

I would actually cut and paste phrases in Google to see what it meant. I didn't take it as gospel, but tried to see if it made sense. I then met with a lawyer just to make sure my understanding was ok. I didn't want to go to HR to ask.

What does your boss know? You said you don't want them to know how bad it is getting? Some of below may depend on what you boss knows.

Any chance your company has a legal staff? If so, or with the insurance company, can you ask to walk thru some questions under the pretext of understanding it for your role in HR? It is not a lie, as you do need to understand.

Another option - do you have any former co-workers in HR or are there people from any professional networking groups that may be of help?

New jobs are stressful in their own right. A recent diagnosis is also stressful. Give yourself some time to adjust. Removing stress as a factor in the fatigue and cognitive issues gives a better picture.

In your old job, were you similarly fatigued and recovery period for work the same or has it worsened by the new job? Or was it a relapse after starting new job? If it worsened or was a relapse, you can still see improvement. Are you taking anything for fatigue? Adderall, provigil, nuvigil, and amantadine are some of the options. Hard to believe, but exercise is the best medicine for fatigue. Studies show it improves MS fatigue.

Aside from understanding your benefits, don't do anything until you discuss with your neuro. You need their support, so make sure they understand your struggles. Have you had a neuropsychology test? If not, discuss with your neuro about getting a baseline.

I am sorry you are struggling. I know exactly how you feel. Try not to beat yourself up too much. I was the first to notice my problems, but went years before they became apparent to anyone else.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Kathy gave some sound advice. Any research you do on the company’s STD policy is training for your position. Call the provider and ask them the questions that the “employee” has.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
        X