• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise Check In 09/12/2019

3 checked in this last week.

1 made modified goal.
    1 made goal. Yay, Beaudreaux!
    1 new interested person checked in. Welcome, JKForrest!
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Thurs - 2830 steps; Silver Sneakers
    Fri - 1479 steps; PT, Slow Flow Yoga
    Sat - 1436 steps;
    Sun - 2471 steps; Went to the pool
    Mon - 1140 steps; PT; Chair Yoga
    Tues - 1508 steps; PT
    Wed - 1894 steps; Recumbent bike

Total steps = 12,758 steps. Average: 1823 steps per day
    Total exercise = 8x

My modified goals for last week were to track exercise, to try to do things at home and work towards
    being able to meet former goals sometime in the future.
    - I tracked exercise
    - I did some PT at home. I wish I would have walked laps around the house more, but, oh well.
    - I'm progressing closer to meeting my former goals.
    I met my goals; I'm moving in the right direction.
    Same goals for next week; maybe I can meet my former goals as I continue to work in that direction. I'm getting closer.

I also tried a couple of new things:

- In the past, I used to attend chair yoga at the Y, but the instructor quit a few months ago and it is no longer offered there. Instead, I tried Slow Flow Yoga on Friday at another facility. It was too advanced for me -- a lot of stuff on the floor and even just repositioning myself from reclined to seated to on my knees, etc takes a lot of effort. The standing pieces would have been longer than I could stand. I just stayed on the floor and did my own stretching or restorative yoga things.

- On Monday, I went to the Senior Center to try their Chair yoga. They've had no instructor for the summer; they might be getting one again sometime this fall. In the meantime, they've just been using a video and following along with that. I might try that again. I don't enjoy it as much as my previous class at the Y, but it might be better than nothing, or better than trying to motivate myself to do chair yoga at home on YouTube.

Former Goals:
    1. Average of 2,000 steps per day.
    2. Exercise at least 4 times out of 7 days. Silver Sneakers, recumbent bike at Wellness Center or YMCA, PT, YouTube chair exercises or something else.
    3. Include some strength training on some of my exercise days (could be PT).
    ~ Faith
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Missed the mark....

Seems as though you are moving in the right direction Mamabug. Nice job seeking out new opportunities when old ones run their course.

My goals were....
      2 nights of Jiu Jitsu.....only made 1
      3 weight training sessions....only made 2

3 three mile runs.... none, zero, zilch.

I did use some of my normal exercise time slots to knock out some other tasks so at least it wasn’t a total loss.

Keep it going.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Goals. How do you count success?

I’m counting my exercise goal as met, but I wonder if anyone else would. The goal is to walk 1/2 hour twice a day. Although I missed on one day, I call it goal met. The miss wasn’t because of laziness or putting something else first, so it’s a goal met.

Maybe the goal is really 1/2 hour twice a day when physically possible.

I think that calling a goal missed when we miss for honest reasons isn’t any more productive than making excuses for missing.

I call it a miss if I’m being lazy or decide that I would rather do something else. But I don’t think that being unable to do it is a miss.

How do you set your goals and de ide if you’ve met them?

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post

I think that calling a goal missed when we miss for honest reasons isn’t any more productive than making excuses for missing.

I call it a miss if I’m being lazy or decide that I would rather do something else. But I don’t think that being unable to do it is a miss.
          MMMMS

Your reasoning makes sense to me.

Goals are met when we honestly do the best we can, all things considered.

With MS, we don't always have a say in the outcome of our goals - only in the honest appraisal of our efforts.

Modifying goals over time is ok too.

Great job on your 1/2 hour walks!

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Wow! That's quite a goal! FWIW, 15 minutes on my treadmill Mon-Fri is my goal. Sometimes I meet it; sometimes I don't.

But, as the NMSS's T-Shirt reads "Move It", so any day that I stick to some kind of exercise routine, I'm happy! LOL
            Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

If I miss my exercise goals for any reason then I didn't make my goals, simple. I do however take into account the reason why I missed them. If I had to prioritize work or a family event over my normal exercise time I can still say I had a successful week. Just keep it going.

Comment

I’m counting my exercise goal as met, but I wonder if anyone else would. The goal is to walk 1/2 hour twice a day. Although I missed on one day, I call it goal met. The miss wasn’t because of laziness or putting something else first, so it’s a goal met.

How do you set your goals and de ide if you’ve met them?
                I don't think there's a "right" or a "wrong" way to track goals or report goals. We get to make our own rules. We're adults and we're all trying.

For me, personally, I call it a miss if I don't make my goals for any reason. But, calling it a "missed goal week" doesn't mean I beat myself up over it. I give myself grace to miss goals. I also give myself grace to modify goals when I expect that I'm not going to be able to meet my "regular" goals, due to a busy schedule, an injury or a recovery from something, etc.

For me, it's more about setting a goal, holding myself accountable, affirming myself when I do well, pushing myself a little if I didn't do as well, etc.

I'm moving this thread to The Wellness Forum because I think that's where you may have intended it to be. (I though that I didn't know how to move it into this week's thread. But, then I figured out how to merge them together.) If it should stay in General Questions and Answers, please let me know and I'll move it back.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Saw seven replies and I thought some people woke up.

Hope to see you all here tomorrow for next report.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post

Hope to see you all here tomorrow for next report.
                    Yes; I hope to see others join us this week too!

https://msworld.org/forum/showthread...15#post1522015
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Maybe I needed to be more clear.

I call it a miss if I don’t walk because I would rather, someone invited me, there was a TV special, etc. I call that a miss, because I could have walked at a different time.

If a true emergency comes up at the time I planned to walk at night (so can't reschedule for that day), then it’s not a miss.

I also don’t call it a miss if I’m *honestly* physically unable to walk. The way I see it, if my goal were to walk 2x per day and I broke my leg and couldn’t do it, I wouldn’t call it a miss. If it’s physically impossible to walk because of MS, is it really any different than breaking a leg?

If I sounded as if I was suggesting that making excuses is good enough to call it a goal met, that’s not what I intended. What I intended to suggest is that MS limitations are every bit as real as the limitations from a broken leg. It’s not about being lazy or using MS as an excuse. So that’s why I said that maybe the goal is really walking twice a day when physically possible.

Someone without MS who broke a leg wouldn’t say that they didn’t meet their goal that day or on the days they’re still recovering. They would say that they will continue with their plan when they are physically able to. The goal is put on hold rather than missed.

The point is that MS limitations are real. It’s the same as someone without MS (or with MS) deciding that they’re not feeling it that day so do less or don’t do it at all.

MS limitations are every bit as real as broken legs, flu, food poisoning, and anything else that legitimately makes it physically impossible to perform that day. People who break their legs don’t say that they didn’t meet their goal that day as if *they* failed. I don’t say that I missed my goal as if *I* failed when MS makes it impossible to walk.

Comment

Maybe I needed to be more clear.

I call it a miss if I don’t walk because I would rather, someone invited me, there was a TV special, etc. I call that a miss, because I could have walked at a different time.

If a true emergency comes up at the time I planned to walk at night (so can't reschedule for that day), then it’s not a miss.

I also don’t call it a miss if I’m *honestly* physically unable to walk. The way I see it, if my goal were to walk 2x per day and I broke my leg and couldn’t do it, I wouldn’t call it a miss. If it’s physically impossible to walk because of MS, is it really any different than breaking a leg?

If I sounded as if I was suggesting that making excuses is good enough to call it a goal met, that’s not what I intended. What I intended to suggest is that MS limitations are every bit as real as the limitations from a broken leg. It’s not about being lazy or using MS as an excuse. So that’s why I said that maybe the goal is really walking twice a day when physically possible.

Someone without MS who broke a leg wouldn’t say that they didn’t meet their goal that day or on the days they’re still recovering. They would say that they will continue with their plan when they are physically able to. The goal is put on hold rather than missed.

The point is that MS limitations are real. It’s the same as someone without MS (or with MS) deciding that they’re not feeling it that day so do less or don’t do it at all.

MS limitations are every bit as real as broken legs, flu, food poisoning, and anything else that legitimately makes it physically impossible to perform that day. People who break their legs don’t say that they didn’t meet their goal that day as if *they* failed. I don’t say that I missed my goal as if *I* failed when MS makes it impossible to walk.
                        MMMMS

I totally get what you are saying, as someone who also has fluctuating abilities and limitations.

Take Care
                        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I get what you're saying, too, MMMMS. That works. We're a flexible group.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                          X