Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tear a muscle from a spasm?

Hey All,

Of course I have spasticity and get leg and foot cramps fairly often. I also have flat feet and now in addition to foot drop on my left ankle, I have officially been told I have a contracted Achilles tendon on my left ankle and will have a cast put on next month to stretch it out.

Up until last Saturday, my right leg was fine, that is until I had the absolute worst calve muscle spasm you can imagine! My muscle was like a rock and it was VERY painful. It was a long time before I could hobble on it and then it was only to my recliner for the next 3 days.

I contacted my Primary Care Dr. who ordered labs and my creatine kinase and immature granulocytes are high indicating muscle damage. About this time the bruising started to show and my leg was starting to swell and this was 4 days later. As a precaution they did an ultrasound and no clots.

So now I am waiting to hear if they want to run more tests or have an answer as to why this happened, could spasticity cause a cramp bad enough to tear the muscle? Anyone ever heard of something like this happening? Needless to say I am now a hot mess trying to get around with my AFO with an insert for plantar fasciitis on my left foot and leaning on my cane hobbling with my sore right leg.

Oh Joy!

Originally posted by MS TOO View Post
    So now I am waiting to hear if they want to run more tests or have an answer as to why this happened, could spasticity cause a cramp bad enough to tear the muscle? Anyone ever heard of something like this happening?
    Hi MS TOO

Gosh, you sure had a doozy of a muscle spasm - ouch!

I found this about muscle cramps, related to sports injury, though. But I'm wondering if the muscle damage from the effects of a severe cramp/spasm could happen regardless of the initial cause - whether the cause is MS related or activity?

"A bout of severe leg cramp may cause damage to the muscle. Fibres of the muscle may be torn causing a calf strain. Muscle fibres are torn due to the shear force of the involuntary contraction.

If this happens the muscle will be painful for some time afterward. It is essential the full rehabilitation programme with sports massage treatment is undertaken to restore the muscle to its original condition. The injury can be treated in the same way as a calf muscle strain."

Info from 'Sports Injury Clinic, Cramp in the Calf Muscles'.

Good luck, and hope you get some relief.

Take Care
    Last edited by KoKo; 09-10-2019, 10:30 AM.
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

… I had the absolute worst calve muscle spasm you can imagine! My muscle was like a rock and it was VERY painful. It was a long time before I could hobble on it and then it was only to my recliner for the next 3 days.
      Oh wow. No; I'd never heard of something like that before. MS sure does throw us some unexpected challenges, doesn't it? Sorry to hear about your experience.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

That sounds incredibly painful. I was woken up this am by a calf spasm, but nothing like you described. I can't imagine. Hope you hear from your docs soon on next steps.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. My primary care physician wasn't interested in trying to figure out why this happened and he told me to check with my neuro and my podiatrist. So I am waiting to hear from them and have an appointment with the rehabilitation Dr. that ordered my AFO on 1 October so she can evaluate my walking. I also have my annual with my neuro next month so I will talk with him then. I still have not heard of anyone tearing a muscle from a cramp...lucky me!

I will update when I have something to add.

Comment

Muscle tear from ms spasm

I have had muscle spasms that have caused tears in my Achilles’ tendon on two different occasions. They casted my ankle to give it time to heal. I take medication for the spasms .

Comment

Originally posted by blueknight View Post
              I have had muscle spasms that have caused tears in my Achilles’ tendon on two different occasions. They casted my ankle to give it time to heal. I take medication for the spasms .
              Thanks for sharing your experience with muscle spasms, blueknight.

My primary care physician wasn't interested in trying to figure out why this happened and he told me to check with my neuro and my podiatrist. So I am waiting to hear from them and have an appointment with the rehabilitation Dr. that ordered my AFO on 1 October so she can evaluate my walking. I also have my annual with my neuro next month so I will talk with him then. I still have not heard of anyone tearing a muscle from a cramp...lucky me!
              How are you doing MS TOO? Hopefully your leg has healed well!

Take Care
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Happy Halloween! My neuro told me he had heard of patients tearing muscles from spasms but that it wasn't very common. He believes I am having all of these leg and foot issues because of my very flat feet and MS (foot drop) and an AFO that did not have any arch support like it was supposed to have. My calf muscle has healed up and I will be getting a new AFO soon with arch support like the first one was supposed to have!

My plantar fasciitis is acting up in both feet and I have a contracted Achilles tendon on my left ankle so Monday I get a cast put on to try and stretch the tendon. The cast will be on for 3 weeks, then removed, my ankle will be bent back more and then a new cast for another 3 weeks. Apparently surgery for this condition is common but my podiatrist did not want to even consider surgery given the complications from MS. I am not looking forward to not being mobile for 6 weeks but it looks like my employer is going to approve letting me work from home most of the time since my Dr. requested teleworking as a reasonable accommodation.

Since I won't be driving with a cast on, this is a good opportunity for me to start ampyra so I will be starting it next week. Of course I won't be able to walk to see if it is working for a while but the timing worked out as the pharmacist told me not to drive or operate machinery for 2 weeks after starting in case it triggers seizures.

Another thing my neuro is concerned with is the fact that I am still working full time and not sleeping nearly enough so for the next 6 months I will only work 4 days per week. I told my neuro that I was hoping to work 5 more years until age 62 and he straight out told me that he didn't think I would be able to work that long given how fast I am progressing now as I am secondary progressive. He told me I am at 6-6.5 on the disability scale so I am researching more about a disability retirement.

Oh the joys of living with MS. I hope everyone is having a great day!

Comment

Happy Halloween! My neuro told me he had heard of patients tearing muscles from spasms but that it wasn't very common. He believes I am having all of these leg and foot issues because of my very flat feet and MS (foot drop) and an AFO that did not have any arch support like it was supposed to have. My calf muscle has healed up and I will be getting a new AFO soon with arch support like the first one was supposed to have!

My plantar fasciitis is acting up in both feet and I have a contracted Achilles tendon on my left ankle so Monday I get a cast put on to try and stretch the tendon. The cast will be on for 3 weeks, then removed, my ankle will be bent back more and then a new cast for another 3 weeks. Apparently surgery for this condition is common but my podiatrist did not want to even consider surgery given the complications from MS. I am not looking forward to not being mobile for 6 weeks but it looks like my employer is going to approve letting me work from home most of the time since my Dr. requested teleworking as a reasonable accommodation.

Since I won't be driving with a cast on, this is a good opportunity for me to start ampyra so I will be starting it next week. Of course I won't be able to walk to see if it is working for a while but the timing worked out as the pharmacist told me not to drive or operate machinery for 2 weeks after starting in case it triggers seizures.

Another thing my neuro is concerned with is the fact that I am still working full time and not sleeping nearly enough so for the next 6 months I will only work 4 days per week. I told my neuro that I was hoping to work 5 more years until age 62 and he straight out told me that he didn't think I would be able to work that long given how fast I am progressing now as I am secondary progressive. He told me I am at 6-6.5 on the disability scale so I am researching more about a disability retirement.

Oh the joys of living with MS. I hope everyone is having a great day!
                  MS TOO

Thanks for the update.

You certainly have a lot going on!

Good luck with your Achilles cast, your new AFO, your working from home, and the start of Ampyra!

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                  X