Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel like an outsider- late diagnosis

Originally posted by murphylives View Post
    REACHING 'OLD AGE' WITH MS CARRIES WITH IT A WHOLE NEW SET OF AGING WITHMS ISSUES!
    HOW DO OTHERS COPE WITHTHIS DOUBLE WHAMMY?
    I wasn't diagnosed until I was 65y/o. Many lesions on my MRIs-head/neck/Thoracic & LS spine. We think I've had MS since my 30s (Had an episode of optic neuritis then). In some ways I was glad of the diagnosis- I wasn't just clumsy or lazy (when I couldn't run and/or walk up stairs!!) Trouble is that a lot of damage has already happened, so it's hard to improve on what I have. I do keep a positive attitude. I'm worth it!!

Hi eho845 and welcome! I see this is your first post, so I moved it from one thread to here in the "Tell Us about Yourself" thread so others can welcome you. Thought your post would stand out more here.

There are many of us older folks like you who have had MS for years and some, like myself, who waited years for a proper diagnosis and a lot of damage has been done.

I'm so happy to hear you have a positive attitude and yes, you are worth it!

Hope to see more of you and hear what's happening in your life.
    Take care!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by eho845 View Post
      I wasn't diagnosed until I was 65y/o. Many lesions on my MRIs-head/neck/Thoracic & LS spine. We think I've had MS since my 30s (Had an episode of optic neuritis then). In some ways I was glad of the diagnosis- I wasn't just clumsy or lazy (when I couldn't run and/or walk up stairs!!) Trouble is that a lot of damage has already happened, so it's hard to improve on what I have. I do keep a positive attitude. I'm worth it!!
      You ARE worth it. Diagnosed at 56 here, also have had it since my 30s. Don’t let MS consume you. I’m glad you’re getting help. Keep taking good care of yourself. You’re a trooper ( or should I say warrior? ).
      All the best, ~G

Comment

Welcome and glad you found us. With age comes wisdom - and your attitude is proof. I was 13 years out, possibly 25 til diagnosis. I sometimes think that maybe I wouldn't have lived the life I have if I knew back then. So in someways, may have been a blessing.

Hope we see more of you. We are always here, good times and bad times.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hello eho845

All ages welcome here!

I do keep a positive attitude. I'm worth it!!
          Good for you! I don't hold on to negative feelings for very long either. I deal with them, then let them go as soon as possible. I don't like feeling crummy, and don't want to be negative energy to others either.

Looking forward to seeing you around here!

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yes, ebo; welcome!

All those years without treatment probably added to the progression of your MS. I was diagnosed at a more traditional age (41; symptoms began at 39). But was treated with a med that was ineffective for me for 5 years, so with the addition of those two initial years of limbo, I wasn't receiving effective treatment for 7 years. I, also, believe that earlier treatment could have made a difference in how I function today.

But, … it is what it is. And, keeping a positive attitude is worth a lot!
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
            X