Muscle stiffness and pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle stiffness and pain.

Hello I was just wondering if anyone was like me in that my spasticity is much worse upon awakening in the mornings ? I go to bed not too bad and would think that while sleeping all my muscles would be relaxed and resting... but not the case. Even after an hour or so of sleep every thing seems to seize right up. It’s taking longer and longer now to work out the kinks every morning. Quite painful as well. If I over do it at all physically the next day is horrendous. I’m just not seeing why sleep brings it on ? Is this common with MS ?
    It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Hi oceanpride

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
    Hello I was just wondering if anyone was like me in that my spasticity is much worse upon awakening in the mornings ? I go to bed not too bad and would think that while sleeping all my muscles would be relaxed and resting... but not the case. Even after an hour or so of sleep every thing seems to seize right up. It’s taking longer and longer now to work out the kinks every morning.
    Through trial and error, I discovered that (for me) getting warmed up from the covers while sleeping caused me to be really weak and stiff in the mornings.

Although I love feeling toasty warm, my nerve signals don't like it!

I have to feel borderline chilly to function my best.

Quite painful as well.
    So far, I am fortunate in that I rarely have painful muscle spasticity (knock on wood). I tend to have more muscle weakness.

If I over do it at all physically the next day is horrendous.
    When I physically over do it, I have terrible motor fatigue (muscle weakness) for the next day or two.

The only remedy I have found is time and rest.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks KoKo for replying. I’m understanding the time it take to recover after over doing it. I’m just perplexed as to how I can go in to bed fine and then hardly be able to get out. ?

Comment

Hi Oceanpride

I also suffer from spasticity. Before my baclofen pump I would feel stiff as a board when I was in bed.

I don't remember feeling stiffer in the morning but I know being inactive for long periods of time seems to make it worse. I really notice it during long car rides.

I think being out of the car or out of bed moving loosens the muscles.

Take care

Comment

Yes leenyi that’s exactly how I experience it. Even after a short sit in a chair or car does it. Maybe I’m headed for a pump too for relief. I’ve tried the oral baclofen but didn’t like the side effects. Thanks for responding. It’s very strange indeed. You would think a rest would alleviate it instead of making it worse. Go figure anything with this MS stuff.

Comment

Mine comes and goes but when it's in town, I definitely feel it in the morning.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Hello I was just wondering if anyone was like me in that my spasticity is much worse upon awakening in the mornings ? ...Is this common with MS ?

Hi Oceanpride,

Did you ever see the animated feature "Ice Age"? The character "Sid" (the sloth) tries to find a sleep position while on a large rock. That's me.

Except, I lie down and try to find a position that stretches my right spastic arm out (to the point of pain). After a while the arm gives in, spasticity subsides and maybe I sleep.

I too am tight as a drum in AM but spend 20+ minutes stretching every morning. Not a cure but may warm up my muscles (contrary to KoKo) and the pain is pushed to the back burner for a while.

If I sit too long, I have to stand / move. Way too stiff. If I am active (as I can be) for 90+ minutes, I have to sit. Way too weak / tired. Step and repeat.

Comment

Thanks for you comments Boudreau and 502E79. It’s comforting to know others are right there with me fighting the same battles. This board surly helps me cope. Thank goodness the symptoms have relinquished a bit. They seem to change with the weather... frequently.

Comment

Stir as a board

My wife works with my arms and legs.So sore afterwards

Comment

Working...
                  X