Just need some help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just need some help, please

Hi, I have not been on this site for a while I have some questions. I wake up. When I hear the little bit of a things, I want to maybe try some type of ear plugs and I don't even know where to get them and if they really work and if anyone uses them what is the best to try. Please let. Thank you. please

Glad to see you back.

I don't use earplugs, but, maybe at Walmart, or a music store, or online at Amazon.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

There are many kinds of good earplugs that drown out little noises. They aren’t expensive so you can try different ones until you find one that is comfortable. I used to used silicone ones for swimming. It was to keep water out of our ears but they drown out sound really well.

It the locker room someone would try to talk to me and I had to take one out to hear her.

There is another way to drown out those little noises that startle you. It is called white noise. You can do it with a fan or air conditioner. That is any noise that is at a constant state. Your brain adjusts to it so it won’t disturb you.

My husband and I bought a house that we loved. The day we moved in we realized we had bought a house right in the flight path of the airport a few miles away. It didn’t bother him but I couldn’t stand it. At 7:00am the first one would start and they went all through the evening. I finally got a fan that was loud but I could sleep until 10:00 am if I wanted to.

Those little sounds can be much harder for us than with someone who doesn’t have MS. Earplugs will work if the sounds are coming from the outside world. We can sometimes experience things that are coming from our brains and not from the world. A good set of earplugs can help you tell the difference.

An MS friend in the community where I live has another kind of sound problem that I also identify with. I could never carry on a conversation if the TV was on. She and I went to a noisy restaurant and she pulled out these fancy blue plugs that had antennae in them. She said she needed them so we could talk in the restaurant without hearing all the chatter from everyone else. I don’t know what they call them but she probably went to an ear nose and throat doctor.

MS causes many kinds of noise challenges. When we figure out what thing we are dealing with we can find a solution.

Comment

Yes Walmart has them back by the pharmacy.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Also wanted to add that I like white noise like thunderstorms over the ocean. I play it on my phone from YouTube when I'm trying to drown out noise so I can sleep. Good luck.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Amazon is the way to go.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

It is against the guidelines to advertise a business.

I really would recommend going to an ear nose and throat doctor. He/she will help you figure out what is best for you and you will probably leave the office with a free set of earplugs.

You have health insurance, don’t you?

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                It is against the guidelines to advertise a business.

Actually, it is against guidelines if a poster is advertising their own company. That is solicitation.

There is no problem in mentioning a store/business as long as that poster is not affiliated with that company.
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X