Pool walking / divided attention - Follow-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool walking / divided attention - Follow-up

Last attempt at keeping eyes closed while walking (front, back, sideways) in pool was good.

We (trainer & I) tried eyes closed at gym during our next session and understand the “divided attention” drawback in finer detail. Removing distraction applies to all exercise! Form improves therefore fatigue diminishes somewhat.

I have improved my walking when alone (undistracted) and force awareness of my movements, I can improve my gait / step placement and posture (maybe even pace). It’s still better in pool with eyes closed, but the lessons learned translate to dry land.

The hardest thing, maybe the impossible thing, is to maintain command of your requirements (awareness of movement) as soon as the environment changes (noise, crowd, conversation etc). I’m not at that stage but have decided that a good course of action is to cease all movement, direct attention to the diversion, then reset and begin the movement anew. Not easy.

Certainly not the old me, but small steps are still steps, right? The amazing thing is that this is all obvious! The "old me" still thinks that I can respond in the "old normal way"... MS LESSON ONE: (with a bullet)... Get over yourself... it's a new world!

Hello Jer

Thanks for letting us follow your PT and the experiences you have with focus, attention, distraction, fatigue, etc. Super interesting!

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
    Certainly not the old me, but small steps are still steps, right?
    Absolutely!

The amazing thing is that this is all obvious! The "old me" still thinks that I can respond in the "old normal way"... MS LESSON ONE: (with a bullet)... Get over yourself... it's a new world!
    Jer, you certainly have a talent for translating your experiences and insights into words that really resonate!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Glad you are seeing results! That is awesome. Even better that you seem to be enjoying it too!
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Good news. If not already doing so, you should create a log. That which gets measured gets improved.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
          Good news. If not already doing so, you should create a log. That which gets measured gets improved.

Had to switch the pool therapy to Thursday. Dentist needs a new set of clubs.

A quick reply to Boudreaux. Totally agree but writing ability with primary hand / arm at 10% + not so good.

My trainer has a good memory, another plus. Not only am I learning to do the routine correctly but now adjusting to "what's next?" in her playbook.

Jer

Comment

The hardest thing, maybe the impossible thing, is to maintain command of your requirements (awareness of movement) as soon as the environment changes (noise, crowd, conversation etc). I’m not at that stage but have decided that a good course of action is to cease all movement, direct attention to the diversion, then reset and begin the movement anew. Not easy.
            This is a huge step to even realize this. Most people continue on and then falter.

I love that you are anticipating what the trainer has next. My class is like that often. Oh, no what is she up to next. Often accuse me of being browsing the internet to find torture for them.

Water and the challenges that I have found have been my lifeline of movement. And, decreasing my pain.
            God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post
              This is a huge step to even realize this. Most people continue on and then falter.

I love that you are anticipating what the trainer has next. My class is like that often. Oh, no what is she up to next. Often accuse me of being browsing the internet to find torture for them.

Water and the challenges that I have found have been my lifeline of movement. And, decreasing my pain.

Thank you for your comments and confirmation that our mind and its abilities play such a key role in establishing the "lifeline of movement and decreasing pain."

My trainer is still a certified LPN even though the title no longer exist, I'm told. A nursing background has to have played a part in her approach to MS, regardless of not being a(n) MS specializing PT.

And yeah, I think at times... "Where did she get this torture from?"

Comment

Thanks for the update. I'm currently healing from an injury, but, maybe I'll attempt just some of my own experimentation when I'm more mobile.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Just started to pool walking therapy. It's getting easier everyday and I'm feeling so lucky for finding the best therapist in Europe. Recently we decided to buy a villa on the French Riviera with a pool and I think it's going to be very useful for my treatment
                  Last edited by KoKo; 09-13-2019, 01:01 PM. Reason: removed link to French Riviera real estate ad

Comment

a little update...

Still at it.

All comments regarding pool & walking / gait remain the same. Same with the “divided attention” drawback of eyes being open vs closed.

I cannot hold to the necessary mind set that SLOW is imperative, especially on land. The water is forgiving and embraces a slow steady, almost graceful approach (Wow! "graceful" in an MS thread!). Thinking that slow also requires additional balance, another dicy issue, as well as the discipline to literally adjust my good leg to a pace that accommodates my bad right leg.

We (read trainer) have added a band to the pool walking. A single round elastic band of mid elasticity, with handles on each end. Looks kinda like: (>-----<)

We loop band through one handle and position around waist, other handle drops from right bum down to right foot where I place my foot in handle (like a stirrup). The pros: The foot in stirrup is a drop foot and this limitation receives pick up assistance from the elastic. Also this arch has collapsed but with the round stirrup under my arch, the toes no longer form a fist when under stress. Larger footfall = better balance.

Another plus is it is necessary to work against resistance to place foot properly while walking. All lifting, bending, swinging of leg is also against resistance on my bad side. Although I mirror all routines with my good leg regardless. Simply a better workout. Really it is a small effort and results are in proportion, but I come away with the mental as well as the physical accomplishment!

Oh! and kelm10; Rince off the band if you decide to add this torture to your regime... The chlorine / chemicals in the therapy pool... enough said!

Comment

Thanks for the update on your pool workouts, Jer. You're efforts are an inspiration.

I cannot hold to the necessary mind set that SLOW is imperative, especially on land.
                      I chuckled at this. SLOW is my only option.

Take Care
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I was doing aquatic therapy in my pool for a while. It can be a great workout and resistance can be metered based on speed of movement. Plus you’re in the water so you stay cooler.
                        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                          ...resistance can be metered based on speed of movement.

And speed AND some coordination can be established / assisted by innovation.

Just a general update.

We (trainer & I) are in process of adapting that simple piece of exercise equipment (elastic band) for use in pool as well as on land. Have now used a working version while doing ALL pool exercises and also at gym on upper body days only. Yeah, sounds strange but I walk better with the band on to navigate the gym equipment.

In it's current state the band is impractical for lower body / leg work-outs, but that will soon be fixed! Confidence is high!

Long, sorted, up-&-down tale as of this note but we are learning, as I mentioned in response to another thread.

MS is a constantly moving target. Avoiding despair by anticipation and innovation has become the game plan. More to come.

Comment

You probably shared this in a previous post, but please refresh my memory:
                            Where did you find this trainer? A physical therapist? A personal trainer from a gym?
                            ~ Faith
                            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

We (read trainer) have added a band to the pool walking. A single round elastic band of mid elasticity, with handles on each end.
                              Looks kinda like: (>-----<)

We loop band through one handle and position around waist, other handle drops from right bum down to right foot where I place my foot in handle (like a stirrup). The pros: The foot in stirrup is a drop foot and this limitation receives pick up assistance from the elastic. Also this arch has collapsed but with the round stirrup under my arch, the toes no longer form a fist when under stress. Larger footfall = better balance.
                              Jer ~

Could you provide the name of your elastic band? I would like to check it out on Amazon.

I think that I could make good use of this band.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X