Effects of MS on mood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effects of MS on mood

The salty thread got me that nking about MS and mood. So I'm starting thus thread not to derail the salty thread.

I wondered if reaction to having the disease is all there is to it. Although I've had MS for years, the physical symptoms are few and not very disabling. I walk unassisted, for example. The loss of physical function in minor. I don't worry about the future. I'm not waiting for the other shoe to drop. When I think of the future with MS, I don't think doom and gloom. What if thoughts about MS might come up, but I don't give them more attention than what if thoughts about developing heart disease. In fact, I'm more concerned about keeping my heart healthy than I am about possible future MS-related symptoms.

So I wonder if MS itself causes mood or personality changes? Could mood and personality changes be part of the disease process. Is there an organic (caused by the disease) factor involved in addition to or, in some cases, instead of emotional reactions that cause the changes?

This article is interesting reading.

https://www.eurims.org/images/storie...ersonality.pdf

This is an interesting question and i want to follow the thread!

My future husband would say i'm very moody! I go from laughing and joking to miserable in a minute but i don't think it's because the disease itself. If anything it's more of the fatigue which is the side effect.

My biggest struggle with MS is the fatigue and tiredness. Lately i've felt a little more energized and not dragging (started Mayzent which I think has helped) but when i get tired i turn into a bear!
    Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
    Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

booklet

Th booklet link was a good read.

I too agree with you OP there is a little bit of both to organic reasons and a reaction to the disease.

I was batteling depression before I was diagnosed. And, the day I got the diagnosis I asked to be put on an antidepressant. I had been using St. John's Whart. I am pretty stable with the depression. One episode of major depression when I had to quit working.

I am not a doom and gloom and I don't worry about the progress of this disease. I do have some minor walking issues, cognitive issues, and fatigue issues.

Jennaly,

I, too, will snap instantly if I am tired, overly tired, or hurting. My husband will commonly ask me what is hurting if I snap. He seems to lack the understanding the fatigue and how he can help more around the house could help with this. It is still a daily work in progress.
      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post

So I wonder if MS itself causes mood or personality changes? Could mood and personality changes be part of the disease process. Is there an organic (caused by the disease) factor involved in addition to or, in some cases, instead of emotional reactions that cause the changes?

This article is interesting reading.

https://www.eurims.org/images/storie...ersonality.pdf
        Thank you for posting this article. I am pretty sure I have episodes of feeling overwhelmed and confused by details because of MS. Sometimes big decisions are extremely difficult or I spiral in to the solution. But I also see my dad doing that a fair bit. BUT he’s 95. So, back at square 1
        All the best, ~G

Comment

I don't worry about the future. I'm not waiting for the other shoe to drop. When I think of the future with MS, I don't think doom and gloom. What if thoughts about MS might come up, but I don't give them more attention than what if thoughts about developing heart disease. In fact, I'm more concerned about keeping my heart healthy than I am about possible future MS-related symptoms.
          Wow I'm in awe and more than a little jealous of your sense of peace in the face of MS.

That said my personality has always been tilted toward the glass being 1/2 empty which has driven me to find ways to fill it. I also have seen significant impairment in people MS so that probably hasn't helped calm my fears of the what-ifs.

Overall MS has motivated me to make hay while the sun is still shining. I'm exhausted but in the 15 years since I was diagnosed I've done a lifetime of living, and probably 20 years of working. No regrets other than being diagnosed in the first place which I can't change.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Jules, I think I'm not overly worried, because I don't have significant disability (Yet?). Someone once told me that worry is a misuse of imagination, and I try to remember that. Also,I've had several family members who passed away when they were too young. So I figure I'm sort of on borrowed time /sort of luckier than they were, even if I become disabled.

But catch me on a bad day, and I'm more of an Eeyore. 🙂

I do have less tolerance now for attention seeking, lies, and any noises that bug me. In the past I definitely would have suffered through in silence. Now I'm the old lady making faces or even saying something. I've shocked myself a few times.

Apparently I've started collecting Pet Peeves, and it's a growing collection, too. 🤣

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
            Wow I'm in awe and more than a little jealous of your sense of peace in the face of MS.

That said my personality has always been tilted toward the glass being 1/2 empty which has driven me to find ways to fill it. I also have seen significant impairment in people MS so that probably hasn't helped calm my fears of the what-ifs.

Overall MS has motivated me to make hay while the sun is still shining. I'm exhausted but in the 15 years since I was diagnosed I've done a lifetime of living, and probably 20 years of working. No regrets other than being diagnosed in the first place which I can't change.

Comment

I think that no one understands the fatigue. ☹️

Originally posted by Jennaly16 View Post
              This is an interesting question and i want to follow the thread!

My future husband would say i'm very moody! I go from laughing and joking to miserable in a minute but i don't think it's because the disease itself. If anything it's more of the fatigue which is the side effect.

My biggest struggle with MS is the fatigue and tiredness. Lately i've felt a little more energized and not dragging (started Mayzent which I think has helped) but when i get tired i turn into a bear!

Comment

I haven't had a chance to read the article, but lesions can affect mood, depending on location.

So aside from that, fatigue is the biggest impact to my mood. And for me, it is like a switch. All at once, past my limit and I snap or sometimes, quick to tears.

Thankfully, my husband knows that I need to rest and to just leave it alone.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I do have less tolerance now for attention seeking, lies, and any noises that bug me. In the past I definitely would have suffered through in silence. Now I'm the old lady making faces or even saying something. I've shocked myself a few times.

Apparently I've started collecting Pet Peeves, and it's a growing collection, too. 🤣
                  This made me smile.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

So I wonder if MS itself causes mood or personality changes?

Hi MMMMS!

I think it can. The CNS cannot be denied.

That said, I know an awful lot of people that do not have MS and display one or more sx quoted through out the article.

Even you qualify when you say " I don't worry about the future...not waiting for the other shoe to drop... don't think doom and gloom" The article points to this type of optimism as existing under the MS umbrella.

You seem fine to me! (Yeah, no alphebet soup after my name) But maybe, a dollop of common sense is in order. Yes, a mild disease course allows leeway, my course is worse but I will not credit MS as being the culprit.

One may be more accurate in saying the obvious. Depression itself causes mood or personality changes. One does not need to have MS to be depressed.

I think the article is interesting but the commoniality that MS may very well be the cause... just cannot buy it entirely. You may have arrived at the MS party carrying that depressed 6-pack.

May just start my own collection of pet peeves with this article! (made me smile too BTW!)

Jer

Comment

Interesting article, and comments.

For me, my MS mostly has affected mood and personality when I've been in a flare. Sometimes, in a really big way.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Someone once told me that worry is a misuse of imagination, and I try to remember that.
                        As an imaginative chronic worrier I say Amen to that.
                        All the best, ~G

Comment

Working...
                        X