leg not working right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leg not working right

My right leg has not been strong for a month and does this mean i am headed to a scooter or wheelchair? What experiences have others had with this? Have had MS for 23 years and had minimal symptoms until about 2 years ago now having what I think is foot drag where feet feel stuck to floor and very weak right leg and pain in knee and lower leg.

Hi SummerTobin and welcome! Glad you found us, but sorry you are having problems. After living with MS for 23 years, a good percentage of people are going to experience weakness. Glad to hear that most of that time, your symptoms have been mild.

My right leg has not been strong for a month and does this mean i am headed to a scooter or wheelchair?
    Weakness doesn't always lead immediately to the need for a scooter or wheelchair. Have you had any physical therapy for this leg weakness? A PT will work with you on exercises that will help strengthen the weak muscles. That would be my first plan of attack.

I use a walker now after having MS for 30 years. A wheelchair or scooter for longer distances. Some days (especially with extreme temps - both hot and cold) using a walker seems like a struggle, but I push forward. I believe that using my legs, however weak, will keep my muscles relatively stronger.

Keep moving however you can! Take care~
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I second the Physical Therapist idea.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Definitely push for PT. I benefited greatly from this. You want to make sure the muscles are as strong as they can be. That will give you a better idea if MS is progressing.

My right leg was weaker than left and I was having issues tripping over nothing and with right hip giving out. PT really helps.

Lots of luck.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by SummerTobin View Post
          My right leg has not been strong for a month and does this mean i am headed to a scooter or wheelchair? What experiences have others had with this? Have had MS for 23 years and had minimal symptoms until about 2 years ago now having what I think is foot drag where feet feel stuck to floor and very weak right leg and pain in knee and lower leg.
          It could be that you are in an MS flare and it will resolve itself and you might return to your "normal". I agree with advice to request a consult with a physical therapist.

And, welcome to MS World. Feel free to look around and post on other threads. I see that you are new to us, but not new to MS. You likely have lots of wisdom and experience that you can share. You may also post an introduction about yourself on this board so we can get to know you better:

https://www.msworld.org/forum/forumd...About-Yourself!
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
          X