Trying Melatonin again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying Melatonin again

I've been researching the Doxylamine that my neuro suggested for sleep. It does work, but.... they do not recommend it for seniors because it can mess with urinary stuff. Hmmmm???? How interesting. I'm headed to the urologist Tuesday because I keep getting these infections and they keep finding blood in my urine. Also found tiny stones (as far as I know). So, now I'm scared to death to take Unisom anymore, even though it does help me sleep.

I've also been taking about 5mg of Ambien some nights. I never take any 2 meds together. I just try to alternate what I do take so I'm not taking too much of anything at one time.

Anyway, I bought 3mg of Melatonin and wondered if you all had any specific suggestions about using this. I know it's safe... naturally occurring in our bodies. I just didn't work well before. Maybe taking 2 of them would be better??

Thanks again for the help.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I use melatonin with valerian. I actually dread going to bed at night because I wake up every hour or 2 and need to take another one ( 1 mg each). This ads up to 5 or 6 each night. It generally helps me go back to sleep but not always. I have tried other medications but they have usually only been effective part of the time and require more and more to work.

I wish there was something that would help people with horrible insomnia but I haven't found it yet. At least with the melatonin, it works a lot of the time and it is safe to take.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
      I use melatonin with valerian. I actually dread going to bed at night because I wake up every hour or 2 and need to take another one ( 1 mg each). This ads up to 5 or 6 each night. It generally helps me go back to sleep but not always. I have tried other medications but they have usually only been effective part of the time and require more and more to work.

I wish there was something that would help people with horrible insomnia but I haven't found it yet. At least with the melatonin, it works a lot of the time and it is safe to take.
      I really understand the part about dreading bedtime every night. Last night I had to take a Baclofen so I was afraid to add any more meds on top of that. I got really drowsy but absolutely was awake all night anyway. My mind kept telling me to take SOMETHING... but I was afraid to mix meds. About 4 a.m. I finally fell asleep for about 2 hours. I am so out of it... so exhausted today. I had to cancel an appointment for a urine test. I am having a hard time functioning today. Well.. every day is like that. Why don't our doctors give us any (or much of) any help with this? It's pure torture... night after night, on and on??? I just feel like I'm going to drop over and die. Thanks Loopy. I don't wish this on anyone. Ciao.
      Marti

Comment

A little more on insomnia.

I'm finding that I have to force myself to take deep breaths again... over and over... And those breaths are causing pain in my chest and back and head. It's just such an effort to get comfortable. It's not that I can't breath... I think it's anxiety due to insomnia that's causing this right now. I've had this problem on and off most of my life. I'm also crying easily just from the utter exhaustion

Since I can't seem to get to sleep "naturally" like most people I feel that this must be coming from a lesion. It's got to be MS related!

Had a terrible night last night. I took a Baclofen early which just made me drowsy but did not help me to sleep so I was awake all night. I was afraid to take any other meds or supplements along with the Baclofen. Didn't want to be too drugged or off balance. So I laid in bed all night and tried to go to the couch on an off all night. No dice. This morning I am so exhausted... more so than usual. My legs are weak and have numb spots. And.. I was up all night in the bathroom! Going to the urologist tomorrow for that problem. Guess I'm repeating myself now. Sorry.

My question is: Do any of you take sleep meds during the daytime hours to get a good nap?? Since some of them are not helping much I guess it wouldn't hurt. I am retired.. don't have to go anywhere or do much of anything. Just responsible for myself. Maybe if I can get some sleep during the daytime the night time won't be so bad.

I know there are a lot of true insomniacs here and I assume we all have the same problems. So I have to turn to you guys. Sorry to keep this up, but I am desperate. Going to the sleep doctor soon. She might have some good meds I can use. I hope so, because I have resigned myself to living on them. I don't see this resolving itself.
        Marti

Comment

Marti,
          I feel for you. I was feeling like you some years ago. I have tried many non-pharma supplements and I finally found relief when I found a doctor who prescribed LDN 4.5 mg., once daily. It worked very well.
          I hope you find some relief . Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
            Marti,
            I feel for you. I was feeling like you some years ago. I have tried many non-pharma supplements and I finally found relief when I found a doctor who prescribed LDN 4.5 mg., once daily. It worked very well.
            I hope you find some relief . Good luck
            Thanks. I'll have to look that one up... see what it is. I'm supposed to go to a sleep doctor soon to discuss meds. I think she has some idea of something we can try. All I know is I get out of bed in the morning (sleeping or not) and begin to stress over if I will be able to sleep the next night. It eats at me all day so I'm sure anxiety is part of the insomnia. Hope you get some sleep too.
            Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
              Thanks. I'll have to look that one up... see what it is. I'm supposed to go to a sleep doctor soon to discuss meds. I think she has some idea of something we can try. All I know is I get out of bed in the morning (sleeping or not) and begin to stress over if I will be able to sleep the next night. It eats at me all day so I'm sure anxiety is part of the insomnia. Hope you get some sleep too.
              Hello marti

I hope you got some good sleep and are feeling better, so that you can have a very Happy Birthday today!

Take Care
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                Hello marti

I hope you got some good sleep and are feeling better, so that you can have a very Happy Birthday today!

Take Care

Thanks so much KoKo. I'd rather forget these birthdays now. I try to keep it simple.
                Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                  I'd rather forget these birthdays now. I try to keep it simple.
                  Me too! No big parties for me - too much sensory overload these days.

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Happy Birthday! Sorry you are having so many issues.

I am on Baclofen, but a consistent does spread out thru the day to try and keep spasticity as a non-issue. It took a while, but I got used to the side effects and no longer get drowsy from it.

Maybe that would help alleviate the need for one time use and minimize your sensitivity to it. Worth a discussion with neuro. That way, you could then take something else at night when needed.

Hope you get some rest soon.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Happy Birthday, Marti,
                      I read your response and was surprised that you aren't aware of LDN ! There is a lot, on this board, about LDN. Its main effect is regulating something in the brain. There are several sites about it. good luck

Comment

A little more on insomnia.
                        I've been having the same issues and recently ran across this video which is a full hour focused on sleep issues and MS. The doctor talks extensively about how we can/should "train our bodies" about sleep.
                        59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                          Happy Birthday, Marti,
                          I read your response and was surprised that you aren't aware of LDN ! There is a lot, on this board, about LDN. I had considered trying it but I was unable to find a doctor who was willing to rx it and I decided not to look into finding it online without a rx. Its main effect is regulating something in the brain. There are several sites about it. good luck
                          Yes; Marti. Here is a link to a thread about LDN that I started a few years ago. I was unable to find a doctor who was willing to rx it, and I decided not to pursue finding it online without a rx. There are additional threads about it in the Medications & Treatments forum in the CAMs section.

https://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?137730-LDN
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks again folks. So far the Melatonin is not working. I am trying to catch up with all your links and suggestions.
                            Marti

Comment

The first thing I noticed after I started taking LDN (1.5mg) was the better sleep. Sometimes when I’m a little anxious I take a .25mg of Xanax right before bed. I can tell a difference the morning after the Xanax, I feel better rested. I’ve had good experiences with the tonic melatonin held under the tongue for a little while.
                              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X