Back pain and spasms left sided weakness arm and leg plus more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back pain and spasms left sided weakness arm and leg plus more

Ok I haven't posted in here in a long time. But here's what's happening ok. I've been dealing with severe pain and spasisty mainly on my left side. But the last 2 or 3 days I've actually have been getting shooting pain in my testicles as well. Now I can try ice packs on my spine no problem but not down there!! So what do the guys do for it???

Now on to the other issues at hand ok. So I've gotten to the point where most days if I'm up on my feet for more than 45 minutes to an hour trying to do stuff around the house I get these spasms that makes my left arm and leg jolt up in the air. And on top of that I have lost use of my left hand and arm. I have to pick it up and set it on the walker. Then I have to lift my leg up into bed because my muscles in it are just as bad. Now as I've said not always.

When I've been in the hospital and received the steroids I do get better for a while then I get stressed out or if I get to hot or over do it I'm right back to where I started. I know that I do need surgery for my spine gonna see the orthopedic surgeon this Wednesday. But the big question is what if they say that there's nothing that they can do for me?

I'm so discouraged at this point and it's so depressing living life like this. I've come to realize that if they can't fix my spine then I might have to consider going to a board and care or nursing home. But that's really the last thing I truly want. Now I used to be in better shape and at times could walk a long way now I can only make it around the inside of my house or the front porch. But along with the spasms my legs have become so weak I bearly can lift my legs into bed at times.

See** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hello Bobby

Originally posted by Bobby72 View Post
    So I've gotten to the point where most days if I'm up on my feet for more than 45 minutes to an hour trying to do stuff around the house I get these spasms that makes my left arm and leg jolt up in the air.
    I wonder if taking a rest sooner than 45 min would help? My limit for being up and active is 30 min. Much longer than that and I'm unable to walk.

And on top of that I have lost use of my left hand and arm. I have to pick it up and set it on the walker. Then I have to lift my leg up into bed because my muscles in it are just as bad. Now as I've said not always.
    I have the same issue with my right hand, arm, and leg. This happened gradually over time for me (progressive MS). The weakness would occur, in the beginning, only on occasion, and then most of the time, and now the extreme weakness is always present.

I have to lift my hand and arm onto my walker handle too. When I could no longer lift my legs onto the bed, I purchased a lift recliner chair to sleep in.

I know that I do need surgery for my spine gonna see the orthopedic surgeon this Wednesday. But the big question is what if they say that there's nothing that they can do for me?
    Does your doctor think it's possible that some of your issues are caused by spine problems, and not from MS?

I'm so discouraged at this point and it's so depressing living life like this.
    I hear you, Bobby. Dealing with MS can be discouraging, and depression is not unusual. Have you mentioned your depression to your doctor?

I've come to realize that if they can't fix my spine then I might have to consider going to a board and care or nursing home. But that's really the last thing I truly want.
    I can really relate to your thoughts and feelings on this.

I'm doing everything I can to remain in my apartment, for as long as possible. I'm fortunate to have the help of my family (sisters and brothers-in-law) for now.

Now I used to be in better shape and at times could walk a long way now I can only make it around the inside of my house or the front porch. But along with the spasms my legs have become so weak I bearly can lift my legs into bed at times.
    I can totally understand and relate to this, Bobby.

I don't like to say this, but this sounds like progression. Are you dx'd RRMS and using a DMT, and maybe need to switch to a different one? Could it be SPMS? I apologize for not remembering your dx.

Also - PT, stretching, and spasticity meds might make a big difference for you, if you haven't already tried them.

Good luck at your orthopedic surgeon appointment on Wednesday. Let us know what you find out, ok?

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I can relate to this tiday! What you are describing does not sound like anything that would benefit from spinal surgery. For the past few years I have been suffering from muscle spasms on my right side.

Just last week I broke a middle toe. Sounds like no big deal, right? But, when you are already struggling to walk or lift your limbs up something like this can mean a rapid decline. Went to ER, they taped them up all special and gave me a rigid boot to wear. At first I thought I was on the right track to get better.

Then I put my boot on to walk to the bathroom and realized that having one leg shorter that the other can cause big problems. The left side of my back hurts so much! I decided to take that boot and shove it! It’s better to walk barefoot that in something like that. Right now I am lying on an ice pack on my left side.

I am also thinking that I should get a new mattress. This thing has been sinking and sinking. It is just so hard to know what to buy.

This was one of those days when I questioned my ability to live independently. I just feeling like a nursing home would be the end of my life so no matter how hard it is for me to walk to the kitchen (in a tiny apartment) I am going to do everything I can.

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        My limit for being up and active is 30 min.
        Meant to say 30 min at a time (I'm able to do this several times throughout the day, with rest times in between).

Take Care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Hello Bobby

I wonder if taking a rest sooner than 45 min would help? My limit for being up and active is 30 min. Much longer than that and I'm unable to walk.

I have the same issue with my right hand, arm, and leg. This happened gradually over time for me (progressive MS). The weakness would occur, in the beginning, only on occasion, and then most of the time, and now the extreme weakness is always present.

I have to lift my hand and arm onto my walker handle too. When I could no longer lift my legs onto the bed, I purchased a lift recliner chair to sleep in.

Does your doctor think it's possible that some of your issues are caused by spine problems, and not from MS?

I hear you, Bobby. Dealing with MS can be discouraging, and depression is not unusual. Have you mentioned your depression to your doctor?

I can really relate to your thoughts and feelings on this.

I'm doing everything I can to remain in my apartment, for as long as possible. I'm fortunate to have the help of my family (sisters and brothers-in-law) for now.

I can totally understand and relate to this, Bobby.

I don't like to say this, but this sounds like progression. Are you dx'd RRMS and using a DMT, and maybe need to switch to a different one? Could it be SPMS? I apologize for not remembering your dx.

Also - PT, stretching, and spasticity meds might make a big difference for you, if you haven't already tried them.

Good luck at your orthopedic surgeon appointment on Wednesday. Let us know what you find out, ok?

Take Care
          I take copaxon then niruntun baclofin oxycodone and I smoke pot mixed with tobacco with the pot and the oxycodone and thr rest I'm able to function somewhat. I always get like that though nothing stops it other than staying in bed and with OCD and other problems that's not an option really.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain, Bobby. I hope it can be relieved.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              I'm so sorry to hear about your pain, Bobby. I hope it can be relieved.
              Actually I went back to my pain patches and I've been doing much better! But with feeling less pain I end up overdoing it and end up right back to where I began and at times worse even. I have even been able to walk with just my Canadian crutches again!!! Yippee. But I was doing fairly well yesterday and as I said overdid it and then my spasms came back last night with a vengeance. Like I was screaming in pain spasms.

I had the guy that I'm buying my house coming over to give me advice about installing a new kitchen sink. So I worked on the house and that's after I fixed the water cooler. My nephew had worked on it the day before trying to replace the bearings in it and I had to finish that. But. Normally I can bearly walk because my back is so messed up but when I use the fentanyl patch it's like day and night. And the patches are the lowest dose on them. But from what I've been told from the orthopedic surgeon it's not the MS causing my problems with my arm and leg but my spine. Go figure.

Comment

Actually I went back to my pain patches and I've been doing much better!
                I'm so glad that the fentanyl patch is helping. . Now, just be sure not to overdo it. Thanks for the update.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  I'm so glad that the fentanyl patch is helping. . Now, just be sure not to overdo it. Thanks for the update.
                  Hi all and mamabug. Since then I was doing great for awhile then I believe the 13 or 14 of Aug. I went to town to social security office and then the grocery store and I ended up having a setback.😰😡😤😭. I ended up with a sinus infection I guess. Since then nothing has helped much. Then today the physical therapist came out and had me lay in my hospital bed and he stretched my legs out and it actually helped for a little bit. But I had to go to bring my dogs in and talk to this plumber working on my house and now the pain and spasisty as back and what is happening is that my arm and leg is just jerking around. So I have one more dog to catch and make sure the guy has everything he needs and lay back down again.

Comment

Hi all and mamabug. Since then I was doing great for awhile then I believe the 13 or 14 of Aug. I went to town to social security office and then the grocery store and I ended up having a setback.😰😡😤😭. I ended up with a sinus infection I guess. Since then nothing has helped much. Then today the physical therapist came out and had me lay in my hospital bed and he stretched my legs out and it actually helped for a little bit. But I had to go to bring my dogs in and talk to this plumber working on my house and now the pain and spasisty as back and what is happening is that my arm and leg is just jerking around. So I have one more dog to catch and make sure the guy has everything he needs and lay back down again.
                    Hi Bobby

It's not always easy to find the right balance between activity and rest time, with MS being so unpredictable.

Just when we think we got it figured out, things change.

Glad to learn that your physical therapy helped, at least temporarily.

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                    X