X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any feedback about power chair

Hi fellow MSers
    I’m using power scooter around house and power chair going out
    My insurance provider based on PT evaluation provided me a premobil M3 which is good and complicated , it’s huge and can’t get even close to restaurant table
    I need to purchase a power chair
    Would like to know if anyone have used jazzy air , how practical it is ?
    Or please share your experience if you own other power chairs and find it light and practical to use

Thanks in advance

I use a Quantum Edge Q6, which is a big power chair. For restaurant tables I can tilt the front down to get my knees under. If it’s a small table with a center post I may have to fold up the footrest.

I used to have a smaller lighter Go-Chair. Its lack of adjustments made it harder to use in a restaurant than the Quantum Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
      I use a Quantum Edge Q6, which is a big power chair. For restaurant tables I can tilt the front down to get my knees under. If it’s a small table with a center post I may have to fold up the footrest.

I used to have a smaller lighter Go-Chair. Its lack of adjustments made it harder to use in a restaurant than the Quantum Edge.
      Thank you very much for sharing your experience

Comment

I have a Drive power chair.

I don't use it often, but it's nice for events that require a lot of walking. I only walk a block or two before I tire.

It's very heavy. Hubby stores in in the back of our SUV. He drives it up a ramp; it's too heavy to lift. I haven't used it in a restaurant, but it's about the size as a regular W/C so it would be fine, I think. It turns easily; makes short turns.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

The next step in devices

I was told it's time to get fitted for a WC.
          "I" don't want to give into it. My feeling as of today would be GIVING UP. I guess I just don't want to admit it.
          I went to a support group and was basically told the same thing my partner said, get it before you cant walk..I've had 2 falls this week,I blame it on the cats tripped my me up. That's half true.
          I find getting moving in the morning is harder, my legs wiggle, my back doesn't want to straighten up. After an hour or so it sorts balances out.
          Then mid afternoon after I've been busy all day I shrink up again. Im being fitted for an AFO..
          Can anyone let me know how much they cost.I just bought a van looking forward at the
          Worst case scenario.
          How did ya'll take that news???

Comment

Originally posted by DonnaH View Post
            "I" don't want to give into it. My feeling as of today would be GIVING UP.
            I don't use a chair full time, so my experience is somewhat different than yours. I can relate, however, to the emotions that surround that kind of decision, I think. I could have felt that way when I began to use my cane regularly, about two years ago. I could still get by without it. Most of the time. But there were times that I needed either a cane or something to hang onto, such as when I go down a curb or walk on uneven ground.

I actually weighed the pros and cons of *not* using the cane vs using it. I thought about whether it was giving up -- whether, if I just tried harder, I could still get by without it and just continue to make do without it. And, I could have decided to go that direction. Instead, I made a conscious decision to make my life easier and to give up some stress that not having a mobility aid causes. I've never regretted it. I found some unexpected benefits, such as making a visual statement to the public that -- hey; I have a disability; and I have poor balance and my mobility is challenged. There's a reason that I walk awkwardly. I found that others (friends, acquaintances AND strangers) are more courteous. They allow me to go ahead, they open doors for me, they are more careful not to make quick movements in front of me or cut me off in ways that affect my balance.

I'm working really hard at improving my health. I'm following my functional medicine doctor's protocol, which is similar in many ways to Dr. Terry Wahls' book. I'm eating a restrictive diet, I've purged my household and my life of many environmental toxins, I exercise more frequently, etc. My MS has remained stable and even sometimes improved in small, incremental ways.

I'm hopeful that, at some point, I'll be able to get rid of my cane. And, having that hope is awesome! When I started using it, I expected that, in a year or two, I might be in a W/C full time. So I'm going in a better direction.

But, in the meantime, my cane helps me. So, I use it, and I'm grateful for it. If a power chair would make your life easier, get over it. You deserve an easier life. Don't push yourself beyond what your MS allows you to do.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello DonnaH.

Don't look at it as "giving up", look at it as gaining freedom.

I had a hard time at first using a cane, rolator and scooter. Until I realized what I would be missing if I didn't have them.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi DonnaH,

"I" don't want to give into it. My feeling as of today would be GIVING UP. I guess I just don't want to admit it.
                Giving up is NOT doing anything about it.

I've had 2 falls this week,I blame it on the cats tripped my me up. That's half true.
                If you get injured from a fall, then what???

The first time one of my legs went out (before I even knew I had MS) was when I went to step over the cat we had that wouldn't move from the landing on the basement stairs. When I went to place my foot down it just didn't work. I fell all the way down the basement stairs. I was badly bruised but very lucky not to break anything.

My girlfriend, who doesn't have MS, fell down the basement stairs, cracked her skull, had a cerebral hemorrhage, broke her neck, and developed a pulmonary embolism. She almost died from her injuries. She was in the hospital for 6 months and needed to wear a hard turtle cast for a year after that. Thankfully, she fully recovered.

How did ya'll take that news???
                It gave me a sense of relief, since I knew I needed it.

Then mid afternoon after I've been busy all day I shrink up again
                You'll both feel better and be able to accomplish more if you can give yourself a break with a power chair.

my partner said, get it before you cant walk
                It takes AT LEAST 6 months to get a new powerchair with insurance.

I was glad mine had been delivered just before I came home from hospital after a really bad relapse. I still wasn't able to walk for close to a year at the time. I had no idea I was going to need one when it was it was ordered before my relapse.

Can anyone let me know how much they cost
                Depends on the one ordered. The one I have now has tilt and recline, along with elevating foot rests. The list price was over $60,000, although insurance companies negotiate a lower price than the list one.

Don't wait and best of luck
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                X