Wearable air conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wearable air conditioning

As we heat up again, this headline caught my eye: Sony promising silent, app-controlled, wearable air-conditioner next year.

It is supposed to be small device you put in special t-shirt. Not bulky, but battery operated. It is supposed to debut in Japan. Short battery life right now at 2 hours.

But it sounds great. I wonder what impact though, if any on the climate. I am no scientist, so not a clue. Also know idea on how you care for the t-shirt and keep it from smelling!

But when it feels like it is above 100, it sounds incredible!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Sounds like a gimmick to me. They used to advertise those personal air purifiers. Maybe they purified some air, but what about all the other air that goes in your lungs, too?

Most of what makes heat so miserable for us is the radiant heat that is stored in every object around us. When it is really hot not even an air conditioner blowing freezing air won’t really cool our bodies off.

I advocate for climate controlled space suits. As the world becomes more and more uninhabitable for life this could become a big industry.

Comment

Maybe wrong, but can't see Sony throwing money into a gimmick. I think they see a need, an open market potential, as extreme heat occurs more and more. What they said so far is that it makes the body feel like it is 14-23 degrees F cooler around them.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

If you get one next year let us know. That would be wonderful if they could succeed at something like that. My skepticism comes when I think about how much room air conditioners weigh. They are made of light-weight aluminum and styrofoam. If we weighed the box itself I doubt it would weigh much more than five pounds.

What makes them heavy is the compressor, which is a big steel cylinder full of liquid and and a snake of copper tubes running back and forth full of liquid under pressure. I am not a technician but I have taken my share of them apart in my life.

If they tell us how it works then I can weigh in (so to speak).

Comment

Afterthought: in another thread I mentioned a product called the Chilipad. It is a cube shaped machine that runs plastic tubes through a mattress pad. It can cool the water to 45 degrees F and heat it to 110 degrees F. That thing works really well. About ten years ago they were a struggling family business and now they are booming.

It takes all the BTU out of our hot hot bodies and makes us feel wonderful. A tee shirt like that would be awesome but that would mean hauling around a 20 lb machine.

There will be more and more opportunities for business ventures that make products that combat the heat. Still time to get rich.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
            If you get one next year let us know. That would be wonderful if they could succeed at something like that. My skepticism comes when I think about how much room air conditioners weigh. They are made of light-weight aluminum and styrofoam. If we weighed the box itself I doubt it would weigh much more than five pounds.

What makes them heavy is the compressor, which is a big steel cylinder full of liquid and and a snake of copper tubes running back and forth full of liquid under pressure. I am not a technician but I have taken my share of them apart in my life.

If they tell us how it works then I can weigh in (so to speak).
            I googled this wearable AC, and it's lighter than a mobile phone, and fits in shirt pocket.
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
              I googled this wearable AC, and it's lighter than a mobile phone, and fits in shirt pocket.
              Forgot to say that the pocket is at the base of the neck, in a shirt specially designed for the AC.
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I just saw a news article on it. $117 in men's only at first. Worth.every.penny.

Comment

Working...
                X