Section 8 Housing interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 8 Housing interview

Has anyone successfully obtained Section 8 assistance?

This thread is to report something happy. Yesterday I got the amazing news that my name had come up on the Housing Voucher waiting list. For years I have been suffering paying 80% of my income for rent. If I get this it will make a tremendous difference in my life.

There is so little help for people like us but this is one thing that can be a life saver.

I am really excited but also nervous about the interview. Has anyone been through this? They ask for lots of information and I am frantically compiling everything(they only give you a week to respond).

So far I have qualified for all the other assistance that I have sought so I am a card carrying extremely low income person. Just nervous because the stakes are so high.

Does anyone have any advice?

No advice other than be yourself, don't be too nervous and I would imagine if your number came up you are qualified so hopefully the rest is just formalities?

Please keep us posted and good luck.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

No advice either. I do want to wish you lots of luck. Please let us know how it goes.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Good advice not to be nervous. I am fretting about what to wear. If I dresss to impress it might look like I am too well heeled to qualify. But I don’t want to look like a slob. The truth is I don’t have very many clothes.

It’s all so silly but this is what I focus on when faced with a situation like this. Gotta laugh at myself. I will dress casually like I’m going to a doctor or something and bring a friend.

Comment

Palmtree

Good luck on the interview however if for some reason you do not qualify I wonder if you have checked out low income housing through faith based organizations. My daughter helped a friend find a nice apartment through MEND.( in NJ ) his income of around $1800.00 a month is entirely from social security disability And his apt rental I believe is just under $500.00 a month.

By the way, you don’t have to be religious to be helped.

Comment

Thanks. That is nice to know about. At the moment I am living in an apartment that I love in a place that I love. And, fortunately, they accept Section 8.

If I get this I might be able to make ends meet and not have to go into anymore debt.

But I made the fatal mistake of asking my caregiver to help me fill out the application and overnight it. Now she wants a huge raise effective immediately. I don’t even have the rent help yet! She has stuck by me through thick and thin and is very indispensable. But this is going to wipe out half of my windfall.

Never win the lottery, everyone will have their hand out.

Comment

Just shake it and wish them well.

Comment

Good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                  Good advice not to be nervous. I am fretting about what to wear. If I dresss to impress it might look like I am too well heeled to qualify. But I don’t want to look like a slob. The truth is I don’t have very many clothes.

It’s all so silly but this is what I focus on when faced with a situation like this. Gotta laugh at myself. I will dress casually like I’m going to a doctor or something and bring a friend.
                  Isn't qualifying just based on income and waiting lists? I don't think you need to worry about what you wear.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

You are right. That is why I laugh at myself when I fret about things like that.

Comment

Well I don’t have to worry about what to wear at the Section 8 Housing interview. The letter didn’t say where the interview would take place so I started making phone calls. After the bureaucratic run around the local aging service said they thought I had been scammed.

I was. The interview was on a Saturday and none of the Housing Authorities are even open in Saturday. If something seems too good to be true it(probably)is.

I don’t know why but I get these feelings that since I could have such bad luck and get MS there will be something wonderful to balance it out. Keep forgetting life isn’t like that.

Comment

Palmtree

What state do you live in?

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post

... the local aging service said they thought I had been scammed.

I was.
                          Ohhh! I'm sorry to hear that. How disappointing. I guess your name is still on the waiting list then. Hopefully, it will come up soon.
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I am so sorry it was a scam - glad you made calls. I hope they didn't get additional personal information on you. Is there anything you need to do? Did they give you any idea how they would have come upon your name and contact info?

Hopefully your name will come up soon legitimately.
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

This whole thing is so confusing. I called the Housing Agency where I had accidentally applied online and on Monday a guy told me the thing was legitimate and my name had come up. I asked why was it scheduled on Saturday when you are not open on Saturdays?

He said,well we had a special day when we were open on Saturday. There is a lot of relief that my personal information was not compromised. If I had lived in the jurisdiction where I applied it would have been better. But I am happy where I live. Have friends here.

Called the local housing agency and they told me my name is still on the list. Whew! I just have to be patient.

Thanks for all your concern.

Comment

Working...
                              X