The difference between Lyme disease and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The difference between Lyme disease and MS

I have read through the years here that some are confused between the 2 diseases and thought this article can clear up some misconceptions and potential misdiagnoses.

"As part of the Lyme diagnosis protocol, your doctor will evaluate if you live in, or recently traveled to, an area known for the prevalence of Lyme disease or presence of deer ticks.1 Blood tests are key in determining if the bacteria responsible for Lyme is present.

By contrast, immunologic, environmental, infectious, and genetic factors may all play a role in MS development. The diagnosis is generally a process of elimination since there is no single method – blood analysis, spinal tap, MRI, or other test – that can conclusively determine an MS diagnosis"

Read this informative article - https://multiplesclerosis.net/clinic...87dad1ee78d938

I know when I was in limbo years and years ago, the doctors thought for sure and undeniably that I had Lyme disease. Boy, were they wrong!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Thanks for the interesting article, Seasha.

I understand better now how MS and Lyme disease can be difficult to differentiate early on.

And of course, having to wait for a dx is never easy:

"The most common route when neither MS nor Lyme can be definitively diagnosed is to closely monitor the patient over time to see if there is progression or difference in test results."

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Lyme Disease was one of the many differential dx that was considered and ruled out during my two years of limbo. MS was always in the consideration stage; it just took a long time for it to be clear enough to doctors to be ready to dx me with MS.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
      X