Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing Device Study

Standing Device Improves Lower Limb Function in People with Progressive MS

Michelle Ploughman, PhD (Memorial University of Newfoundland) comments in an accompanying editorial on the high quality of this study.

“The findings support that some of the impairment and functional losses observed in people with progressive multiple sclerosis are indeed reversible,” she writes.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...Function-in-Pe

Even just standing with support, for as long as possible (which may seem unimportant) is very beneficial to those of us with progressive MS.

I am fortunate in that, at this time, I am still able to stand and take steps with the support of a 4-wheel rollator walker. It takes effort, but I am very grateful for this ability.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Very interesting, KoKo, and thanks for this.

The standing device in this article is shown here https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/sums
    I like these comments from the article- "The economic analysis indicated that the standing frame would more often be cost effective than usual care." and “The findings support that some of the impairment and functional losses observed in people with progressive multiple sclerosis are indeed reversible,”

I also like the fact that this can be a home-based rather than going to rehab. My question is when can this be available in the US? There is a expensive standing device here,(https://easystand.com/) for those with paralysis, but the wooden frame is less expensive and could be used for many with progressive MS

I'm glad that I have my rollater walker even though it can be challenging after long use. Like you, KoKo, having a "standing walker" makes all the difference!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha

The 'Easy Stand' link that you provided listed the benefits of standing (while we're on the topic).

There are many documented health benefits of standing including:

◾Improve/maintain bone integrity/skeletal development
      ◾Lessen/manage the progression of scoliosis
      ◾Strengthen cardiovascular system and build endurance
      ◾Improve Circulation
      ◾Reduce Swelling
      ◾Improve bowel function and regularity
      ◾Aid in kidney and bladder functions
      ◾Improve/maintain range of motion
      ◾Management of atrophy in the trunk and lower extremities
      ◾Manage pressure (ulcers) through changing positions
      ◾Improve strength to trunk and lower extremities
      ◾Decrease joint/muscle contractures

Take Care
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Reversible.

They used the word reversible! If reversible, why not delay-able?

Any exercise with posture in mind, correct form, movement even limited by spasticity should be our focus.

Thank you KoKo & Seasha for this uplifting link!

And with apologies to MermaidOP... Stay Lifted!

Jer (ppms)

Comment

I can stand and walk a limited amount of steps, but because of my scoliosis (neuromuscular type, caused by MS and other neuro diseases) I was bent sideways so much I couldn't keep my balance in order to walk far. Now I have an upwalker, and it's basically a rollator "on steroids." It's been raised up so I use my upper forearm to brace against the frame. So it forces me to stand up straighter and is more of a stabilizer because it forms a frame around you.

First time I saw a standing machine machine was on this forum, years ago (maybe 15 years ago.) One of the ladies' husband used one in order to stand and get circulation. I thought it was brilliant then and am glad they're still being used.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
            I can stand and walk a limited amount of steps, but because of my scoliosis (neuromuscular type, caused by MS and other neuro diseases) I was bent sideways so much I couldn't keep my balance in order to walk far. Now I have an upwalker, and it's basically a rollator "on steroids." It's been raised up so I use my upper forearm to brace against the frame. So it forces me to stand up straighter and is more of a stabilizer because it forms a frame around you.

First time I saw a standing machine machine was on this forum, years ago (maybe 15 years ago.) One of the ladies' husband used one in order to stand and get circulation. I thought it was brilliant then and am glad they're still being used.
            rdmc

Thanks for sharing your experience with the upwalker, and how it is helping you to stand up straighter with more stability.

That is good to know!

Take Care

Comment

Working...
            X