Safe soap for recurring UTI's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4boysmom View Post
    I never take a bath, always shower. I suffered with UTI's for years, pre and post MS. I saw a urologist early on and he said Macrodantin wasn't curing the infection. So I'd always ask for Cipro. Now I have trouble with my achilles tendon (years of Cipro for UTI and Levaquin for sinus infection). That last UTI was a doozy that lasted months. The doc cultured it, and macrodantin ordered up. It cleared the infection. I drank a little 100% cranberry juice daily for years, but now only a few times a week when taking a medicine. I haven't had a UTI for years, even when sitting in hot tub often.

I take showers too. I really don't believe the soap has anything to do with it. I was just thinking back to the law suit between Johnson & Johnson over the baby powder and thought I'd ask you guys about soap. I just finished my round of Microbid and will see the urologist next week. Thanks.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
      I really don't believe the soap has anything to do with it.
      I do. It's pretty standard advice online. Also from my doctor.

Yeah; showers is a good alternative to soaking in soap filled bath water.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        I do. It's pretty standard advice online. Also from my doctor.

Yeah; showers is a good alternative to soaking in soap filled bath water.

Wow.. so my question wasn't as stupid as I thought! Thank you again.
        Marti

Comment

Did they give you any information on the type of bacteria causing the UTIs? Is it always the same or different?
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Did they give you any information on the type of bacteria causing the UTIs? Is it always the same or different?

I have no idea. They did say there were several infections.
            Marti

Comment

Wow.. so my question wasn't as stupid as I thought! Thank you again.
              Not a stupid question at all.

Women likely use soap to increase hygiene. Harsh soaps can actually kill the good bacteria, thus increasing the risk of a UTI, rather than decreasing it. Over-cleaning can cause problems.

The most common way that poor hygiene can increase your risk is wiping "back to front", increasing spread of bacteria from the rectum to the front. Wipe "front to back" to avoid spread.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I finally got some answers about my UTI's. We were concerned about the blood in the urine so I had an ultrasound and then saw a urologist.

He did the dreaded camera test and found the root of the problem right away. Something I did not know. I had a complete hysterectomy years ago and now have developed Vaginal Atrophy due to a lack of estrogen. Guess this causes infections at some point. So he gave me Premerin gel. So I guess we will test again in awhile to see if it's helping.

I am still scheduled to have a CT scan of my kidneys... just to cover the bases.

You'd think our doctors would tell us that these things can happen over time. No one ever mentioned the possibility to me. I did stop taking estrogen years ago, with the doctor's approval. Now I almost wish I was still taking it. I wonder if the lack of estrogen could be causing this exhaustion??? Any ideas??

Thanks so much. Everyone is so helpful.
                Marti

Comment

Glad they got to the root of the matter, Marti! It's possible that lack of estrogen can cause multiple symptoms and somewhere I heard that it can cause fatigue. It is a hormone, after all, and regulates so much of the human body's functions.

You would think, after a hysterectomy, that your levels would be checked on a regular or semi-regular basis. Aging also has an effect on hormone levels, ie. low estrogen.

It's good you're also having a kidney CT scan and hope eventually, your system will ramp itself up to healthy levels with Premerin.

Take care and hope you see better days ahead!
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    Glad they got to the root of the matter, Marti! It's possible that lack of estrogen can cause multiple symptoms and somewhere I heard that it can cause fatigue. It is a hormone, after all, and regulates so much of the human body's functions.

You would think, after a hysterectomy, that your levels would be checked on a regular or semi-regular basis. Aging also has an effect on hormone levels, ie. low estrogen.

It's good you're also having a kidney CT scan and hope eventually, your system will ramp itself up to healthy levels with Premerin.

Take care and hope you see better days ahead!

I was NEVER tested for hormone levels... not once (that I know of). I took Premerin for many years and finally stopped it because of all the controversy. I didn't seem to have any problems after I went off it. But now........ ???
                    Marti

Comment

I was NEVER tested for hormone levels... not once (that I know of). I took Premerin for many years and finally stopped it because of all the controversy. I didn't seem to have any problems after I went off it. But now........ ???
                      Hello marti

From my understanding, I don't think that the issue is low hormone levels, per se, but the vaginal dryness that results from it.

Vaginal dryness makes it difficult for the good bacteria to grow, which can cause the bad bacteria to thrive and make it's way to the urethra, causing UTI. Hormone cream helps to balance the pH level of the vaginal walls.

Young women are advised to avoid feminine douches, sprays, etc. which may also have the effect of reducing the good bacteria in the vagina walls by disrupting the pH (acidity).

Hope this makes sense.

Take Care
                      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Marti,

Glad you are getting some answers. Along the lines of what KoKo said, my Dr. recommended a product called revaree from bonafide. It is not a prescription, is mail order, and hormone free - it helps with dryness. I have not had a UTI since starting.
                        Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                          Hi Marti,

Glad you are getting some answers. Along the lines of what KoKo said, my Dr. recommended a product called revaree from bonafide. It is not a prescription, is mail order, and hormone free - it helps with dryness. I have not had a UTI since starting.

About that hormone free thing..... I stopped taking Premerin years ago so I assume I don't have any hormones. Don't I need them? Could that be the reason for the insomnia and the exhaustion?? I've heard that it's not too late to start again. I'm 69 years old!! The only hormones I am getting is the Synthroid for my thyroid. I've been wanting to ask about this, but forgot until you mentioned it. Thanks.
                          Marti

Comment

so I assume I don't have any hormones.
                            Marti - I asked my Dr the same thing a few years back. She told me if I didn't have any hormones, I'd be dead - lol

Here's a link that explains about low estrogen symptoms- https://www.healthline.com/health/wo...rogen-symptoms

Note - insomnia and fatigue are just 2 of the symptoms. hmmm
                            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                              Marti - I asked my Dr the same thing a few years back. She told me if I didn't have any hormones, I'd be dead - lol

Here's a link that explains about low estrogen symptoms- https://www.healthline.com/health/wo...rogen-symptoms

Note - insomnia and fatigue are just 2 of the symptoms. hmmm
                              Thanks again.. so much. I am printing the reports right now. So I guess you are not taking estrogen?? It sounds like we do still produce some hormones right?
                              Marti

Comment

Thanks again.. so much. I am printing the reports right now. So I guess you are not taking estrogen?? It sounds like we do still produce some hormones right?
                                I think the whole hormone thing is also a risk/benefit analysis. It is worth a discussion with your doctor to review the pros and cons and then also review alternatives, both hormonal and non-hormonal. As with our NS treatments, we all have our own level of risk tolerance.

Hope your doc gives you the time to review.
                                Kathy

Comment

Working...
                                X