Environmental Contamination and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Environmental Contamination and MS

This is something I have always had a hunch about. The environment started giving me trouble many years ago. The immune system can only handle so much assault before it goes haywire. Have you ever sprayed a cockroach with bug spray? They start developing all these neurological problems before they die. (Kind of a morbid analogy but the best I can do).

Well, yesterday I was reading about Butte, Montana. It was a copper mining town and the mining process created toxic contamination in the land and water. People still live there, which scares me. What was interesting about this study was that the town has a very high incidence of multiple sclerosis.

Since we are always looking for clues as to what causes this disease I am just throwing this one into the hat.

Great analogy about the cockroaches, actually.

Yes; I believe, too, that our "immune system can only handle so much assault" before it's affected. In the past year, I have made significant changes to both my diet and my lifestyle, trying to reduce or eliminate toxins in both the foods I consume and in the products that I use on my body and in my home.

We might inadvertently "cause" our own diseases by the choices we make. I wish that I had understood this decades ago; I may have been able to avoid MS. Since I can't go backwards, I am committed to making the best choices, now, that I can, in order to halt my MS progress as much as possible, and, maybe even reverse it somewhat.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I have never had a taste for processed foods and junk food. All my life I have only eaten fresh fruits and vegetables. In California we had an abundance of them and in was wonderful. I eat only lean meats and fish, lots of grains like rice and beans and lentils. I guess I have always wanted to live my life like Europeans.

In addition, I swam almost every day in a beautiful 50 meter pool from 1977 until 2010 when the dx happened. Swimming was not something I did because I “should”. It was a passion. The best was the first part when I would jump in start tearing through the water like a speedboat and beating out any guy who tried to race me.

Right nw I am living in an extremely healthy environment surrounded by fresh water and nature. Exercise is hard but I keep up with my household responsibilities so I count that as exercise.

In spite of all of this I got sick. The air pollution in Los Angeles was significant during my childhood. What I really think has been harming us are the chemicals in the products that we buy and use on our bodies. The list is endless all the way from fabric softeners to building materials.

I really admire you for succeeding to lose so much weight. That is something few people can accomplish. Especially because you have lost it and kept it off. Everything we do to help ourselves counts. What I would like to see is more awareness about the dangers of the chemical exposure an average person in the Western world.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post

In spite of all of this I got sick. The air pollution in Los Angeles was significant during my childhood. What I really think has been harming us are the chemicals in the products that we buy and use on our bodies. The list is endless all the way from fabric softeners to building materials.

I really admire you for succeeding to lose so much weight. That is something few people can accomplish. Especially because you have lost it and kept it off. Everything we do to help ourselves counts. What I would like to see is more awareness about the dangers of the chemical exposure an average person in the Western world.
        It sounds like you have a long hx of making healthy decisions regarding food and exercise. Thumbs up!

Yeah, LA toxins and exposure to other chemical toxins can still contribute to chronic illness.

Thanks for the affirmation regarding my weight loss and weight maintenance. I lost 60 lbs in 2010-2011, adding 15 lbs back due to menopause and steroids. I lost the steroid weight again in 2018, so I'm close to my 2011 weight.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

This is of importance to me.

Back in the 70's, I was living in a semi remote area next to forested land. I was riding a horse in the woods when an airplane overhead released 2,4-D (a herbicide used in forest management and weed control, etc) I was caught in the overkill spray and only later, after inquiry, found out what it was. I often wonder what the effects of that did to my immune system.

Of course, I was a child of the 50's and heaven knows what toxins were used back then.

Like Mamabug, now I have tried to remove all toxins in my food (now 90% organic) and in cleaning materials in my home. I am an environmentalist at heart and hoping we all can take measures to clean up our planet!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I grew up in the 80s in southern Georgia. My family farms so Lord only knows what toxins I was exposed to. My mother worked about 30 minutes away so didn't cook much. As my grandmother used to say my home cooking came in a brown bag that said Dairy Queen on the side. I do try to do better now. My family doesn't understand about all the chemicals in the food. I mean now we have corn we grow that is Roundup ready so you can spray it with a potent weed killer and it doesn't die. What does this do to the corn?

Comment

Originally posted by lukeduke View Post
              … My family doesn't understand about all the chemicals in the food. I mean now we have corn we grow that is Roundup ready so you can spray it with a potent weed killer and it doesn't die. What does this do to the corn?
              I don't know; it scares me though.

Most GMOs are a biproduct of chemical agriculture. They are developed and sold by the world’s largest chemical companies. They haven't been proven to be safe. GMOs require massive amounts of pesticides, herbicides and fungicides. These things are poison.

I currently try, as much as possible, to stick to non-GMO and organic produce. That's mostly possible at home, by choosing carefully what groceries we purchase. It doesn't happen when I go out to eat, because restaurants aren't using the same caution.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I developed a chemical sensitivity about ten years before my dx. It was progressive and I had to continually throw things out and search for products that were harmless.

It got so anyone who had used fabric softener, perfume, powdered laundry soap, make up, a car air “freshener”, even scented deodorant could not come in my home. (You lose a lot of friends that way).

The products that are ok are palm oil based soaps, coconut oil, cocoa butter, Cleure hair conditioner, olive oil, baking soda and vinegar. The best thing in the world is clean pure fresh water.

But once we already have MS the damage has been done. The fact that I react so violently (feeling ill, trouble breathing, fainting...) to this products I think is a sign my body got overloaded and now it is rebelling.

Comment

Working...
                X