Weird memory issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird memory issues

I've had cog fog for years, so that's nothing new. I was wondering if anyone had these unusual symptoms.

Sometimes I use the wrong letter when typing or writing. I put a "b" in stead of a "p". I completely write or type the wrong word. Usually it's a similar sounding word. I have trouble talking. I can't find the right word, or I'll just say the wrong thing 1st and correct myself. The more stress I am under (fast paced job), the more self conscious I become, thus exacerbating my symptoms. I also lose track of what I am talking about and have to ask others to help me get back on track. I know my coworkers annoyed, but what can I do? I'm good at my job, so I'm not worried about being terminated. It's just embarrassing and I'm frustrated.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
    I've had cog fog for years, so that's nothing new. I was wondering if anyone had these unusual symptoms.

Sometimes I use the wrong letter when typing or writing. I put a "b" in stead of a "p". I completely write or type the wrong word. Usually it's a similar sounding word. I have trouble talking. I can't find the right word, or I'll just say the wrong thing 1st and correct myself. The more stress I am under (fast paced job), the more self conscious I become, thus exacerbating my symptoms. I also lose track of what I am talking about and have to ask others to help me get back on track. I know my coworkers annoyed, but what can I do? I'm good at my job, so I'm not worried about being terminated. It's just embarrassing and I'm frustrated.

Hi kittysmith

The most troubling cognitive issue that I have is trying to keep up with, or follow, a conversation in the presence of more than two people at a time.

Also, I get sensory overload very easily in the midst of several people talking at the same time, or when other noises are going on at the same time, while trying to follow or contribute to a conversation.

As you mentioned, stress and self-consciousness does seem to make cognitive issues worse.

I listen more and talk less than I used to.

We do the best we can, with what we have!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
      Yes I have and it certainly can be frustrating! People used to put words in my mouth in hopes it lands on the right one and it made me so stressed out and frustrated. It really made matter worse and then I'd forget what I was trying to convey. When I eventually talked with these people and explained my situation and they eased up somewhat.

I mix up words all the time, but thankfully my family and all those who really matter to me, understand. Sometimes, it ends in a huge laugh-fest.

I had to quit my book group because everyone talked above each other in a fast pace so I couldn't get a word in. Then when I finally had a point to make in a pause in their conversation, they had already moved on to a new subject.

So, yes, I get it! I now talk slow and deliberate and that helps. Its almost like I have to think before I say something...thus the slow talking.

Hang in there! If you are doing your job well, let that be your priority. Try talking slowly.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Makes me feel better

You guys are awesome. Thanks for your responses. I've always been self conscious. MS just makes it worse. Someone trying to "help' me with words makes it more confusing. I am going to try to stop saying "d*mn it every time I say the wrong thing. Lol.

Comment

You have a job and you are good at your job. That is pretty wonderful. So many of us haven’t been able to keep working.

Maybe whenever you get that feeling like you aren’t keeping up with the crowd remind yourself how well you are doing and who cares what “they” think.

Comment

I definitely mess up words and my friends think it is age because they say they do too....but I know inside my head how confused I really get that they can’t see.

On typing I always type Brain instead of Brian. It is so bad...I have even done that to a client...sigh!! Lol!

Comment

Working...
            X