Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good News on Last MRI

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share the news that my second monitoring brain MRI is stable since starting Rituximab last October. I had my second round of Rituxin in May and June, with the MRI done last week. There are no new lesions but the previous ones have remained unchanged. My neurologist is thrilled but I am a little less so. My symptoms haven't improved despite the MRI improvement. I feel like my body didn't get the message that things are better. Is this common?

My other issue since being on Rituximab has been frequent infections. I have had several UTI's, strept throat, pneumonia twice, oral herpes outbreaks, bronchitis, colds and the flu twice despite having had the flu shot. Has anyone else experienced this on Rituximab or any other monoclonal antibody treatment?

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Hi polopuppy.

Originally posted by polopuppy View Post
    My neurologist is thrilled but I am a little less so. My symptoms haven't improved despite the MRI improvement. I feel like my body didn't get the message that things are better. Is this common?
    MRIs don't tell the whole story of this disease. Your MRIs can be stable but you could be having more difficulties, or your MRIs may show new or more lesions but you are doing fine, or they can match up to how you are feeling. All can be very normal with MS.

Stable MRIs, IMO, can be deceiving. Stable MRIs could indicate SPMS. This can be true whether you use treatments or not.

Hoping your stable MRIs are a positive indication
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Agree with Snoopy, MRIs only part of picture but good information to have.

I'm at the point where I celebrate every little victory so congratulations on the stable MRI! Hang in there.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Thank you for the great information and for replying to my thread. It seems all the neurologists I have ever had are very focused on lesions and seem to neuro symptoms when there are no corresponding lesions.

I hope my stable MRI's are indicating good things, too. The entire year before stating Rituximab was a very active one for new lesions on the brain and spine. Every single MRI had new enhancing lesions so maybe the stable MRI's bode well for me. I have been dealing with this for 14 years so it does concern me that I may transition to SPMS, especially since I was only on DMT for 1 year back in 2004-2005.

Comment

Congrats on the good news.

On Tysabri, I would get 2 good respiratory infections each year, turning into bronchial asthma that lasted 3 months. I was getting to the point if I was sick 6 months a year, was it worth it? Throw in the yearly sinus infection, and a few UTIs, miserable.

Someone on the Tysabri board recommended taking vitamin E and C. It really helped and has now been 16 months without getting sick, other than the 24 hour stomach bug that went around this winter. My neuro wasn't supportive of the vitamins - some concern on revving up immune system. But he is fine with it now

Do you get regular bloodwork to check white blood cell count, etc...? If not, it may be worth discussing with neuro. Likewise, don't start any vitamin regimen without discussing as well.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X