Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My exhausting stressful summer so far...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My exhausting stressful summer so far...

It's my turn to whine, although I shouldn't. Since June 23rd, we have had out of state (3) and out of
    country (3 from Argentina) family here for a family reunion staying at our house. 3 adult kids with family are living close by.

Altogether we have 5 adult kids with spouses and 8 grandkids over to play or for dinner any given time. You'd think I'd be so happy to have us all together, as I love everyone and we all get along so well. It has been perfect for family photos (19 of us altogether).

Right now I wish I was living on the far side of the moon. Alone. I have never in my life been so exhausted and stressed. I did plan ahead and cooked and froze some meals and stocked up on food, but it's going fast! Cleaned house thoroughly too - not anymore. Most are pitching in to help to some degree and I'm trying not to be picky.

On top of this we had water problems from our well in the beginning and $5,000 was forked out to correct our problem. That was stressful too.

My MS symptoms are acting up big time - mostly spasticity in my legs, major cog fog and fatigue. I had an appt with my new and awesome neuro yesterday and she adjusted my meds and added baclofen to my arsenal. Drove the 40 min back home and forgot to pick up it up at the drugstore

My one dil staying here is 7 months pregnant and having migraine headaches and sleeping if off, my son is working here for the summer and their 3 year old is not taking naps anymore. What to do? They are staying for another month, but we only get to see them once a year! Everyone does plan events away from home, but more than not, I just can't participate anymore. I'm missing out on some fun times. I feel so bad about this and curse MS at these times and feel so mad, sad and frustrated

Thanks for reading - just had to get this off my chest for those who can understand. My husband is also exhausted and stressed. We normally live a quiet and stress free life.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Hi Seasha

Wow, I get exhausted and stressed just imagining what you're dealing with!

Time to tell the kids that you need a few 'sick' days off to rest.

Easy does it!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Seasha,

As fun as it may be, it is alot to take on. Even if you tell the kids you are going to sit and let them cook, clean-up, and wait on you, it is a lot of commotion. That is hard to adjust to when you go from relatively quiet, predictable schedulevto chaos, even without MS. Add MS in, and we all need a nap.

Once everyone leaves, plenty of time to clean up the way you want. Let them do the critical things (kitchen, bathrooms, laundry,) for now.

Any chance you can schedule an hour of down/quiet time for you each day? It may help you recharge each day.

Glad your new neuro is fantastic.

Enjoy the family!
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Oh my ! When you become extra fatigued that’s when the fog seems to set in. Until you get used to the baclofen it will make things worse in that department. I had to give it up altogether.
        Soon everyone will be gone as quick as they came and you’ll have some peace and quiet and probably the fog will lift. I don’t think that family even understands like we do. Have to try and soldier on , no other choice
        Good luck.
        It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

I can not imagine but hope the good times outweigh the stress and inconvenience. Hang in there!
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Oh wow. I thought I had it bad with my sister and her friend. They only stayed for 3 days, but I thought I'd kill someone before it was over. If I was you I think I'd book a room in a motel somewhere and not come back for a month. I completely understand your anxiety and stress. I wish other people would understand our position.

Oh Sister, I do hope you have some kind of release valve in place. This is a tough place to be.
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Thanks all! I'm hanging in there.

Things have been quieter the last few days and everyone here gets that I'm fatigued so are planning some events away from the house. I stay home to recuperate.

If I was you I think I'd book a room in a motel somewhere and not come back for a month.
              I had to laugh at this one, Marti, but it won;t happen. If anything, they can book a room. I need my own bed as I'm sleeping 10 hours each night!

I love my family more than anything To me, family is of upmost importance. But next year I'm asking the out of towners not to schedule overlapping time here. I've also scheduled some quite time in my bedroom each day for some R&R.

And yes, pennstater, once everyone leaves there will be plenty of time for cleanup - in fact, I'm thinking of hiring someone to do it.

3 weeks after they all leave, my husband's sister and family are coming for a 5 day visit! Oy vay!

And Jules, yes the good times outweigh the taxing ones. Just wish the unwelcome visit from MS would disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

Things have been quieter the last few days and everyone here gets that I'm fatigued so are planning some events away from the house. I stay home to recuperate.
                That's good to know, Seasha!
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

A lot of extra adults is stressful especially if you're used to a quiet life. Having multiple conversations all the time and just trying to absorb everything that everyone says wears me out. Having a lot of kids around is even more exhausting because with kids you always have to be "on" (no shutting down). They don't understand illness (good thing) and each child is fighting to be the centre of attention. My husband has a HUGE family and sometimes I have to forgo a function in anticipation of how much of my precious energy will be used.

I hope you get some R&R and can maybe join them on one of the outings they've planned.
                  Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

I had to laugh at this one, Marti, but it won;t happen. If anything, they can book a room. I need my own bed as I'm sleeping 10 hours each night!

I love my family more than anything To me, family is of upmost importance. But next year I'm asking the out of towners not to schedule overlapping time here. I've also scheduled some quite time in my bedroom each day for some R&R.

And yes, pennstater, once everyone leaves there will be plenty of time for cleanup - in fact, I'm thinking of hiring someone to do it.

3 weeks after they all leave, my husband's sister and family are coming for a 5 day visit! Oy vay!

And Jules, yes the good times outweigh the taxing ones. Just wish the unwelcome visit from MS would disappear.

When my sister was here in April she and her friend insisted on going to Branson. UGH! My sweet son took them off my hands for a whole day and showed them the sights in Branson. What a relief that was for me. I got a little rest, but more importantly, some alone time to clean up after them. They turned my house upside down with all the stuff they brought with them. My sis is 80 years old! She's got her problems, but can go faster and easier than I can! Good luck with the company Seasha!
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Seasha's Solutions:

If you can afford some extras. I suggest "Swiffer" mops for the floors, "Mr. Clean" sponges for counters and tubs. paper plates. cups, & plastic utensils, (all disposable!) AND most important
                      TAKE OUT FOOD!
                      If no one volunteers to thoroughly clean the house just before departure, treat yourself to a pro cleaner. Well worth the $$$. Trust me!
                      Keep the faith! You will get through it!
                      Roxie

Comment

Originally posted by roxanne View Post
                        I
                        If no one volunteers to thoroughly clean the house just before departure, treat yourself to a pro cleaner. Well worth the $$$. Trust me!
                        Keep the faith! You will get through it!
                        Roxie
                        Thanks, Roxie - that's exactly what I'm going to do!!

Comment

Working...
                        X