Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for this site - it helped me eliminate MS as a possibility

Hi there,

I wanted to give those responsible for this site a big Thank You for all of this! It helped me eliminate MS as a possibility. I met some nice folks in the MS chat which is lovely btw, most especially the big font made it so much easier to read.

I came here on a search for answers, as well as many other sites, trying to figure things out. While my doctor says it is MS, she's not a neurologist and I do have upcoming appointments in October to check. I do not have MS, she is wrong.

What has become clear to me, most especially in this limbo section (and others) is that there are so many other things that cause all of my symptoms that aren't MS out there, and while my symptoms are pretty terrible, it is not MS, it can't be, I had a clear MRI 4 years ago, nothing, clear as the sky. My new one showed lesions, but I also learned here that lesions are a completely normal part of aging, which I had no clue about. I was pretty scared for awhile, I just wish I hadn't listened to my doctor, this unnecessarily worried me way too much. Why aren't these facts really out there, without all the digging and research?

Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you and that I hope for the best for everyone! I truly appreciate your time and having your site for a short time.

Hi Tarabara and welcome to MSWorld.

I am glad your time in Chat was helpful I don't use chat so I am unaware of the conversation you had.

Just my 2 cents;

I would suggest caution in forming an opinion if you have MS or not until after seeing a Neurologist. I am assuming the Dr. who believes you have MS is a Primary Care Physician(PCP)? In my experience PCPs really don't understand this disease or the diagnostic criteria for it (The Revised McDonald Criteria).

A diagnosis of MS is based on exclusion (ruling out other possible causes for a person's symptoms) and positive testing which would indicate MS. Many things can cause lesions and are not always indicative of MS. The same is true with symptoms; there is no symptom exclusive to MS.

it is not MS, it can't be
    This sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of having MS. I do understand I would just like for you to remain calm, keep an open mind, and don't assume one way or the other until you see the Neurologist.

Take care.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Hi Tarabara and welcome to MSWorld.

I am glad your time in Chat was helpful I don't use chat so I am unaware of the conversation you had.

Just my 2 cents;

I would suggest caution in forming an opinion if you have MS or not until after seeing a Neurologist. I am assuming the Dr. who believes you have MS is a Primary Care Physician(PCP)? In my experience PCPs really don't understand this disease or the diagnostic criteria for it (The Revised McDonald Criteria).

A diagnosis of MS is based on exclusion (ruling out other possible causes for a person's symptoms) and positive testing which would indicate MS. Many things can cause lesions and are not always indicative of MS. The same is true with symptoms; there is no symptom exclusive to MS.

This sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of having MS. I do understand I would just like for you to remain calm, keep an open mind, and don't assume one way or the other until you see the Neurologist.

Take care.
      Hi Tarabara ~

I concur with SNOOPY's reply.

It seems unusual to me that your doctor did not refer you to a neurologist, before giving you a dx.

Originally posted by Tarabara View Post
      My new one showed lesions, but I also learned here that lesions are a completely normal part of aging, which I had no clue about.
      A neurologist who has expertise in MS could probably distinguish MS lesions by their shape, size, and location, in comparison to other lesions of the brain.

In any case, good luck at your appointment in October. Let us know what you find out, if you want to. Thanks!

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I apologize for not providing more detail, I really just wanted to say thank you and not have to post lengthy history.

What I meant was the appointment I have in October was for conformation with a neurologist and further testing. What my doctor says I have does not mean that is what it is (and certainly not a DX from a neurologist), this is what I learned from your site and my intent was to simply say thank you very much for that.

There is a huge history behind all of this. What we know for a fact is I have a major neurological disorder/disease that has had a major impact on my life. Without getting into the personal details, I can tell you that left side weakness and balance problems have forced me into PT and I have to work remotely now as I can hardly do normal things like shopping or simply walking to my office. I worry I will not be able to walk correctly or without devices again. Right eye uveitis has also had an impact, every time there is a flare up of (whatever) it just degrades further. There is so much more to this than some MRI. Baclofen has improved my life beyond measure, however I have only been on it for 2 months and I know for a fact after researching it that this is not just for MS.

Anyways, to be clear, there is WAY more to this than my doctor just saying it, more than I state here and I don't think I should just vomit all of that in some random post. Again, this is what she said, I did not state I have a DX for MS, the tests coming are for that.

The point of my post was to THANK YOU, and state that this is NOT MS. I want to be 100% clear on that. I have learned a lot here as well as other sites and have done a ton of reading as of late, and I just wanted to state de-facto I do not have MS.

I came here for information, that's all I wanted to find, and this I did. Reading through the posts, blogs, especially in this sub forum and those like it gave me the information I needed to make a logical, informed, and scientific judgment call regarding my own health and what I do or do not have.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarabara View Post
          The point of my post was to THANK YOU, and state that this is NOT MS. I want to be 100% clear on that. I have learned a lot here as well as other sites and have done a ton of reading as of late, and I just wanted to state de-facto I do not have MS.
          Tarabara

You're welcome! Glad to know that MSWorld has been useful to you.

Sorry for any misunderstanding that may have been interpreted from your post.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Welcome and glad you found the site of help, whatever the reason. I hope you get the answers you need for whatever you are experiencing when you see the neuro.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X